Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Name is Jeff. I live in Berrien County buy hunt mostly in Van Buren on a lease shared with a couple of good friends. I usually get out once or twice a week, a little more when the rut rolls in. I will usually update everyone on what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My name is Aaron. I hunt almost exclusively in Clinton and Eaton counties. I have permission on a couple small properties (20 acres each) in Clinton Co. Those properties also get hunted by a cousin and my brother, so they aren't my primary areas especially later in the year. This is our first year as landowners, so I'm pretty excited. We bought 70 acres in a prime 2 mile x 1 mile section of Eaton Co. It attaches to 20 acres that I have permission on and have hunted for 20 or so years. That 90 acres will be my main haunt once middle of October hits. I have pulled most of my cameras from that property right now and won't really touch much until the first cold front after mid October. It is thick and nasty and deer head there once pressure and cold hit. I hardly get any summer pics there. Food plots are in, stands are set, licking branches up...just sit and wait time.

My son shot an 8 point in the youth hunt at one of my Clinton Co. properties. This was probably the 10th biggest buck I had on camera this summer, so there is quite a selection there. We eat a ton of venison and live in a high deer density area, so I try and shoot a lot of does. I will make an effort to shoot 2 of em this year with a bow for some bonus points. Otherwise my goal is for a 4.5+ year old buck but if a 3 year old has enough antler he might convince me otherwise.

Pics from the youth hunt....

Grass Natural material Terrestrial plant Scaled reptile Reptile
Smile Plant Hunting Plant community Vertebrate

Also, thanks Jeff for volunteering to captain this ship.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
My name is Davey. I live in and hunt in Monroe County. Family owns 80 in Hillsdale county. plots are in. Stands remain, Giving saddle hunting a go this year. I'm all in, I'm sick of old, unsafe, cheap treestands. We shall see, I also don't hunt until those big cold fronts or after the kids Trick or treat. Lets Gooooo

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Arrow port, I’m also a sale guy. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. I’ve been at it for about five years.
I have a question because I've been considering a saddle....how are they on your back? I have lower back issues from sitting too much and treestands get to me after a bit. Is a saddle better or worse, or just depends?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Yeah I think it all depends on the saddle. If you’ve done any research you’ll see that there are many types, the bigger/bulkier ones are more comfortable. I’ve never had soreness in my back in mine, but one common complaint is sore thighs where the seat “pinches” around you. I think that has more to do with fit than anything. many guys own very lightweight, small strap style saddles and obviously you sacrifice comfort. Ideal for long hikes in 2+miles imo. A bigger one may weigh a pound or so more, but has a lot more back support and is way better for long sits. Most of us don’t have that far to walk in, even when I hunt public out of state it’s not likely that you’re actually going in that far. So I choose comfort in the tree.

I believe the greatest benefit of them is being connected to the tree at all times without The ability to fall out. I can swing around to hide or shoot, with no worries of tree stand placement

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
What sticks are you using? I've got a set of lone wolf and a set of hawk heliums. I modified the LW's to have a double top step. I think for run and gun I'll go with the HH. I'm so new I'm still practicing in my yard lol. I run the Thethrd Phantom XL really happy with it so far. I have the back support but I'm not really happy with it.. It has plastic adjustments, I'm sure I'll break them.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a set of hawk helium’s with lone wolf cable aiders. Most times can get up 10 or so feet with two stix and my platform. 15 or so with three. I also have six wild edge steps that I use in lieu of my platform for odd trees. Could use to get higher if needed.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What sticks are you using? I've got a set of lone wolf and a set of hawk heliums. I modified the LW's to have a double top step. I think for run and gun I'll go with the HH. I'm so new I'm still practicing in my yard lol. I run the Thethrd Phantom XL really happy with it so far. I have the back support but I'm not really happy with it.. It has plastic adjustments, I'm sure I'll break them.
I’ve actually heard of guys getting saddles with the metal adjustment clips and replacing them with plastic for noise and weight. So I think the plastic are the preferred.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess no one was out for the EAS?? I thought about it, but it was looking way too warm to me. Didn't want to have to deal with a deer in that heat.

Made it out to the lease yesterday morning. After the third attempt I finally managed to eradicate the wasps that had 6 nests built in there. Did some sprucing up to it and pulled camera cards. Won't be out there again until Bow season. I know four stands are all set and ready to rock. Only one shooter buck on camera this time. The bigger bucks always seem to get scarce as season approaches.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Land lot Tree

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I only had 2 Does last Sunday, which weren’t in bow range, and then I sat early Doe season yesterday with no action on my property. My micro plots were mowed down though, lots of Does on camera, but only one spiker and a 4 pointer thus far. I do 99% of my hunting on public land, but it would be nice to have a shooter show up on my property just the same!

Was nice to get back in the tree though for the first time yesterday.

Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Trunk Evergreen

Glasses Camouflage Military camouflage Smile Leaf

·
Premium Member
31,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
congratulations to your son Aaron! My son moved to Thailand recently to be a schoolteacher. Miss him big time. Spend every waking moment with your kids, It goes by so quickly.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good for him! My wife and were close to moving to Thailand several years ago, the Chiang Mai area, to teach English. From the people I've spoken to that live there they love it. We just couldn't quite pull the trigger with a third kid on the way and too many unknowns. What area is he in and what drew him to Thailand? Our oldest just got his license and is now a homecoming king, so you aren't kidding, time flies! Seems like he was just learning to ride his bike....

1 - 20 of 181 Posts