Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about your screen name...

·
Registered
787 Posts
No antlers seen around home the past few days. Plenty of corn in the field after harvest so it should be decent hunting the rest of the season.

Unsure of where I will be early next week. Torn between home, NLP, UP or Ohio. Heading to Illinois mid week. Be back for muzzy, hoping for snow!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I think my time behind the house is done for awhile.

Being only 15 acres, I have hunted it too much and haven't been seeing anything. To top it off, we had a gypsy moth invasion this summer, so there are no acorns....seeing a squirrel is a treat right now!

Going to head up to the cottage after the holiday to get some work done for the remodel. I will try to get out on some public land I did a little scouting on this summer.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Holiday with your families!

Kevin

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
My ankle is healing slow but im atleast able to hobble around. Heading back north Thursday thru sunday. Lots of time left. L really would like to get a couple more.

Besides the rut, i love hunting december. Things get bacl to normal and the weekend warriors are pretty much done.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Reactions: Craves and Sam22

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Crazy hunt tonight. Headed to the stand at 1pm. At 3.30 pm, i hear a gun shot super close. The neighbors boy shot a deer. I spun after the shot to see a buck entering the woods behind me and it came to a sliding hault 15 yards from my stand. After 30 min, i see the orange hat slowly headed my way. I hollared and said he was laying right here! We spoke and he waited till dark not to ruin my hunt. I was back at the house 10 min when the doorbell rang. He was happy! I said lets go get him. Him, his brother and father followed me in their pickup and we drove 30 yards up to him. He was pumped! I helped him drag his buck out! I didn't get one but boy, it was eventful! Never had one come in amd crash like that. Got my heart racing!
Organism Marine invertebrates Underwater Marine biology Fish

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Very good of you to help out a fellow sportsman Louis...Well Played Sir!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
We are super blessed with good neighbors around here which makes life way easier this time of year. Everyone helps everyone

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That is a big doe Trevor....Congratulations!

She will make for a lot of great meals!

Reactions: vincke07

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Nice job on the doe! Definitely a horse!
I haven't been out since 11/17, but may get back out with the bow on some state land next weekend. Or, may get in some muzzle-load season (shotgun) on a friend's farm in the Lansing area.
Good luck guys! Keep 'em coming!
<----<<<

Reactions: Craves

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I have been back at our cabin in the NLP for the last 3 days. The does have grouped up and are piled in the oaks currently. Haven't saw a buck but am up to 40+ does. A good sign for next year. Headed to Illinois tomorrow for muzzleloader.
Wow 40 is insane! If you care to indulge I would be interested in the general area and how it lays out. I see a lot of deer in December when I find the right oak trees, but 40 is nuts.

I have been hunting hard up until yesterday, and it has been tough. I was trying to get my 12 year old in front of a deer, and we finally did have a good sit, with 7 getting close, but he couldn't capitalize and that is at least partly my fault. I did shoot two does on one sit, with my 5 year old along, I saw 6 that night, so it was fun for the little guy. One of them was inside 10 yards, he just kept saying "She is so pretty", and that was pretty neat for me.

I need to focus on work for a while, but I really like hunting in December, my last two good Michigan bucks were both on the last night of muzzleloader season. I don't think it's going to work that way this year, as the state's cuttings have really thrown off my December spots. I have a lot of spots to check, but scouting in December takes time, I have to look around a ton before I find what I am looking for, a big buck track. I have to get out and look some this coming weekend, and then again next week, when I find what I am looking for then I can hunt it. For now the cameras are showing does and small bucks, so I will take my kids out to kill a couple more does before it is all over. I plan to shoot one or two with my X-Bow, and if I don't get a buck those will be the ones I enter.

Like OGB said in LFTS the other day, the fat lady hasn't even begun to warm up yet, there is still about 1/3 of the season left, and it is some of my favorite part.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
While driving up last night we saw a lot of trucks hauling wood heading south from the Interlochen area.
I am going to try to get in at least one sit over the next couple of days if we continue to make good progress on the kitchen demo project. Got off to a good start last night!
Property Cabinetry Building Countertop Flooring

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Congrats on two more doe for the team Sam!
I am definitely going to get back out on some state land with the bow this weekend.
I need to arrow one more deer so I can be ice fishing in a couple weeks!
<----<<<

Reactions: Craves

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I'm heading out to Lansing area to hunt a friend's farm. Gonna giver hell all day!
He said lots of activity in his harvested bean field ... combine missed a lot!
Fingers are crossed, and I aint being picky!
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Good luck joe!

221 - 240 of 243 Posts