Reactions: Sam22

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Reactions: Sam22

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Quick update. Just got back from a couple nights at my buddys 280 acre farm in marlette. Lots of deer (bucks included) and 2 close encounters but no shots fired yet. Im usually got a couple down by now so not sure whats going on. Been tough so far. Back out this afternoon.

Still have a couple more weeks up here so lots of time.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Last night, seen 14 does, 2 button bucks and a spike. Only thing close enough was the button bucks. Everything else was 60-120 yards out. That all changes tomorrow!

Taking today off and headed back to marlette for the opener with my buddy. Probably hit the buck pole at bens tomorrow night. Their first annual pole. Hopefully have one that i can hang!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hunted the last 2 mornings out back. Saw 4 deer yesterday...2 were little bucks.

This morning I only lasted until 9ish seeing a different little buck. Had a deer sneak in behind me that I never saw. Heard it bolt...must have seen me reaching for the bow.

I will be out tomorrow in my Millennium 20' off the ground looking for a big guy. Mrs. Craves will be in the pop up on the plot until she gets cold!

Good Luck tomorrow, and most importantly be SAFE!

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Im with you. All day since 6 am for me too. Doe and fawn crossed 30 yards at 10.30. Had one in the thick at 50 yards at 8.15 but couldnt tell what it was. Same tree I drew on a nice 6 yesterday morning with no shot.
<----<<<

Reactions: Craves and Sam22

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Im in too for an all day. Had a nice 8 point at 125 yards this morning but couldnt get a clean shot. Passed a spike and a 4 point this morning too. Nothing since

Reactions: Craves and Sam22

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Finally, had a nice little 8 point come in at 2.30pm. Broke the ice on the new 450. 125 yard shoulder shot, ran 150 yards. Unfortuantly, had to finish him with a knife. Missed the heart low by 2". Meat in the freezer
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well guys back from hunting up north been pretty busy this year and not hunted as much as I would have like between starting a new job and a week in Mexico for a wedding. Posted a picture the other day of an 8pt I took Monday morning that was our target buck. Don't think I'll make back to hunt Manistee again this year and hunt more around the Muskegon area. Had a few unique sits this fall in Manistee had a coyote get within 15ft of me sitting on the ground 1 morning and a bobcat do the same the next week before it chase a doe down the ridge. Will be hunting a doe management hunt this weekend so hopefully can add a doe to the contest after that. Will post buck pick in scoring thread later with hope that I see something bigger. Below are some more pics of my buck.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Make sure to take good pictures with the tag showing and your weapon!

Reactions: Joe Archer

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Not a good pic as i was by myself and wanted to get him cut up today with the temps. Im going to hold off posting him just in case.

8 point
Smile Cap Baseball cap Gas Engineering

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Guys missed the best time of the year to hunt due to week I'm Mexico so got back and rushed up north for opener. Scored on a nice 8pt. Will type up story and updates when I get home. View attachment 798782
Not sure what happened, but I believe that you entered the contest as "vandestd "?? Correct?
<----<<<

Reactions: Craves

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Now there's an update (@protectionisamust @bradym54 @vandestd ) since I have been here last! Congrats on all the deer taken guys!!!
So far I have Craves 2 AD, Me FAD, AD, protectionisamust 8 pt, Mich Buckmaster 8 point, Bradym54 AD, FA m 8 pt, Vandestd FA 8 pt. Am I missing anyone?
@bradym54 show us some pics!
<----<<<

Reactions: protectionisamust

·
Registered
787 Posts
I shot my Doe on the 11th. High double lung at 20 yards. She took 5 steps and flopped over dead. I ended up getting out of the treestand and gutting her then continuing to hunt. She was in heat so I was waiting for a big one to cut her trail. The only buck to come in was a 5 pointer. He wandered around me for half an hour waiting for the doe to get up.
Grass Plant Terrestrial animal Groundcover Trunk
Plant Twig Branch Organism Wood

I was looking for a small doe to shoot before the weekend and she fit the bill perfect. We roasted the hind quarters the Saturday before rifle season and it was some of the best meat I've ever had.
Wood Automotive tire Plant Ash Grass

I ended up sitting in a stand 300 yards south of where I was planning on the opener because of bad wind direction. Here was the view.
Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Ecoregion

The beavers have moved in since the last time I had been there so the water was about a foot deep everywhere you can see. I heard the deer for several minutes before being able to spot them moving through the thick tag alder and dogwood. At 7:55 a buck moved through about 100 yards straight out and I shot. He ran about 50 yards. Waders and a jet sled saved the day. Floated him out and stayed dry. A basket rack 8 with a broken brow which makes him a 7.
Vertebrate Plant Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal
Deer hunting Cargo pants Plant Tree Hunting

I still have a couple trips north planned and I will hunt around home a bit too. An upgraded buck is a possibility yet. I will take one like vanderwalstevens, what a toad!

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
Awesome deer Brady! I'll add them to our collection on page one of this thread.
Nice job!
<----<<<

Reactions: Craves
201 - 220 of 243 Posts