Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
181 - 200 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
The buck in the daylight trailcam pic I posted was shot a mile west this morning. Saw 5 small bucks and a couple does and fawns this morning, back at it tonight. Sitting one of my favorite rut stands tomorrow morning. Good luck this weekend guys.

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I too am headed north tomorrow until the 17th. I will be on the Crawford/Oscoda county line. Deer, ducks, grouse, beaver and otter are all on the agenda. Hunting in the morning on the home farm first though.

This year has by far been the best hunting ever on the farm. I think I'm up to 8 different bucks the past week and 25 does and fawns. My shooting so far this year has been terrible though. Misjudged the distance last week on a decent buck and shot under him. Last night I had a slammer of a 9 point come in on a string to the scrape 18 yards from my tree. I was set up offset to the scrape a bit and had to shoot over a scrub maple. Had a bout of target panic and punched the release before I was settled down and shot him above the spine. He didn't bleed much and should make a full recovery until I shoot him again...hopefully.

Saw a big one tonight also, not sure if its the same one I shot or not.
Good luck! Im available if you need a shooter. :LOL::LOL:
<----<<<

Reactions: bradym54

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Im headed north till the 20th now! Work 2 days then back up till the 27th. Oh sweet november 😎 !

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I hate south winds! Went out to the edge of the property to hunt a creek bottom transition. Field to the north, creek to the south. Thinking they would cut through headed to the fields. Toward dark. Thermals pulled my scent south and swireled out into the field. Saw deee but everyone was on edge. Only one close was a spike at 18 yards. Nothing else came close enough until the closing couple min when a grunt behind me got closer and closer. I froze as the steps got closer. I was sitting at the base of the tree with the xbow, no blind. He got within 5 yards then busted me. Sounded big but didnt see because he was directlt behind me.

Looking at the forcast, next 2 days are south winds. May have to make an adjustment tomorrow. My view tonight
Plant Wood Tree Twig Natural landscape

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
More south winds today. After getting busted 3 times yesterday, thinking of making a trip to state land and walk around wity the 410 and look for some squirrels.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Headed out to verona for a few hours today just to stretch the legs. Only saw 1 squirrel but found some great deer sign. Guys hunting there should be seeing deer this year. I did see a couple guys camping with a really nice 8 point hanging from the tree so thats awesome. Couple pics from todays walk
Plant community People in nature Natural landscape Tree Wood
Plant community People in nature Natural landscape Wood Tree

Attachments

Reactions: Craves

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Back in a tree and ready! Looking for a doe, buck or both!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Well guys, your Captain has 2 does in the bag!

Got home yesterday from my week on state land where I didn't have any luck...Unpacked what I needed to, caught a nap, and headed out back. Jumped 2 deer out of the plot going out, but sat down anyways in the pop up. A little while goes by and I hear deer moving behind me. I keep my head down and stay quiet....a few minutes later I look up and a button buck is eating 5 yards from me, his twin sister is 10 yards away. Some time goes by and I look up again and a small doe is staring at me from 20 yards. She finally turns broadside to me and I let her have it with the crossbow. Runs about 75 yards and piles up. She is a little one, but we have so many doe back here I am ok with taking her.
Camouflage Hunting Military camouflage Plant Marines

Went back out this morning with my Hoyt to my favorite stand on the property. The light south wind wasn't the greatest, but I am tucked up next to our swamp, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't get winded.

After awhile, I thought I heard a couple of soft grunts and saw what looked like a small deer in the thick stuff moving away from me...I soft grunted and hit the can, but never saw the deer turn. Shortly after that deer just started showing up. A nice doe did get down wind of me and kept sniffing the wind, but never winded me. I hung scent wicks at the mock scrape/grapevine when I went out, and also hung wicks near me in the stand. She finally came in, but never gave me a good shot opportunity.

The rest is just a blur...different deer were moving around me, but no bucks. Finally one of the little ones and the 1st doe I was going to shoot came in, but again no shot opportunities. She did turn and look back and here comes another doe. This one made a beeline to the mock scrape/grapevine. I waited until she stepped behind a tree to pull back and her to take a couple of more steps...she did and I let her have it. Saw her buck and run off...pretty sure I saw her go down, but not sure. I see other deer moving near her and they circle around to my north. I don't see any blood on them and they are not limping, but I am still not sure what happened.

I knocked another arrow while this was all happening, but I am still shaking after the adrenaline rush that there is no way I could have shot again!

I get down and find good first blood, but I have made my mind up that I'm going in to change and have some coffee. I walk the trail back to the main trail that bisects our woods and start in. I get to the spot I think she fell and look down a low area that cuts across the woods and see her laying there!
Hat Vertebrate Plant Military camouflage Tree

I will enter one for the team, and wait to enter the other one...Time to concentrate on getting a buck!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Congrats man!!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Awesome night except all the bucks where little which was ok. I watched a button buck try and fight a spike. They pushed forhead to forhead, lol. Then the little guy tried to fight a narrow 4 point and almost got his eyes poked out. All 3 play fighted around me for 45 min. Pretty awesome as i was rooting for the little guy! Had so much fun watching, i forgot i was hunting for few. The things you see just by being out there

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Congrats Craves! Way to get it done. Im still at it in he NeLP. Pretty uneventful. Saw a spike this morning, and got busted by something after I got down yesterday morning. Sign says my competition drug one out of here yesterday or this morning while I was 4 miles away.
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates....I have been hunting a lot though. I haven't hunted in Michigan almost any, all Ohio the last two weeks.

I really hunted hard. I did 6 straight days of hunting hard with only small breaks for lunch or work. I saw a fair number of deer and bucks, but not a whole lot. Biggest deer I passed was upper 120s. I saw a bigger one, my friend ended up shooting him. He went 145 as a slick 10. The other deer shot that week was a 130" 8 that was 5 years old.

I am working this week, but will be at the big rifle camp the 14th through the 17th. I love rifle camp, I go to a big old fashioned club.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Slow go tonightm. I think the 60 degree temps have them shut down a little. Had a fat doe come into 40 yards but let her walk. I like to try and keep my shots to 30 yards. All in all, great night watching the sun set.

Bad news, my wife woke up feeling crappy yesterday, went and got tested and is positive. Im headed home in the am to pickup the dog so she cam concentrate on rest. I hate this crap.

I swear this **** was released purposely and wish we can turn china into Large sandbox! Sorry. Just Pissed and ranting!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Tonight's view. Light rain and 10 degrees cooler.
Plant Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Well, the Night felt perfect except the deer where not moving. Im wondering wtf is going on. I typically dont start hunting until beginning of november and usualy will catch glimps of nice bucks every day or two. Ive only seen 1 decent buck in 4 days. Plenty of spikes, 4 points but nothing 6 or better.?

Weird.

anyway, My wife has covid so im stuck in camp for 14 more days So lots of time. She is doing ok....so far 🙏

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I am working this week, but getting ready for Deer-mas next week. I am excited, always am. I have to make my decision on where to sit opening day. The choice is between two treestands, both way way up and pretty exposed, so if the weather is bad, I will be miserable.

One of them is my favorite, I have history there and I trust it. The other is just about 300 yards away, and see's slightly different travel. I know there is a big buck that has been frequenting an area about 200 yards South of that spot. This one is also a new tree-stand, in a live tree. The other one is in a dead tree, that is rotting. I will have to stop using it one of these days soon. I am leaning towards going to the new spot for the first day, but I have always sort of thought that rifle spots were best chosen based on past success, not current sign. The deer do strange things when the guns start going off.

What will all of you guys be in? Box blind? Tree stand? All day?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Heading up to the UP late Saturday morning. Depending on the wind and weather I will be in a ground blind or tree stand. Will also do some still hunting during the week.

Things have been fairly slow in my area. A few smaller bucks out cruising and still haven’t gotten a doe in range with enough daylight to shoot. Will definitely take a couple does with the gun, but will also try with the bow late season. Good luck over the next week and a half, not much for cell service where I am headed.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I will be out behind the house for the opener in a tree stand...probably the one I am sitting in right now!

I haven't seen any rutting activity yet. 4 years ago I killed a 3.5 year old 9 point on opening day that was following a doe, so maybe the deer are a little behind here!

I see on today's LFTS that @bradym54 killed a doe. The points are starting to stack up!

Good Luck, Stay Safe, and remember to take good pictures of your deer!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have to set my stand for opener today or tomorrow. Torn between 2 spots both overlooking excellent bedding. The one is on a lake shore that usually flooded but dry this year. Deer travel and bed in the thick willows. The other would have to be 50 feet up an ancient white pine overlooking dogwood and high grass.

The wind forecast is pushing me to the lakeshore stand. Day 2 I might switch it up.

Arrowed a doe earlier this morning. Bucks to come!

181 - 200 of 243 Posts