Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks guys!

My wife has been hunting with me for the last couple of years, but this year she really took it serious. She bagged her first turkey this spring and carried the enthusiasm into deer season. We got her a crossbow and she hunted every chance she could. She got to the point where she was comfortable enough to go alone which was a big step given the little experience she had. November 14 rolls around and my dad, wife, and I head out to my dad's property. The morning has a different feel, it marks a year since my grandpa passed away. I had a lot of confidence given the heavy frost and lack of pressure we have put on the property. Sure enough the morning was filled with sightings and at 8:00 AM my wife calls and tells me she has shot a nice buck. She has never even shot at a deer before and is very unsure of her shot since she did not see the hit. I told her to reload her crossbow and hang tight. I was planning on giving it at least an hour before we started looking. In the mean time my dad and I were covered up in does and small bucks and had no chance to get down. An hour goes by and I get another phone call. I figured she was just being impatient but the excitement in her voice said otherwise. Another buck had come in and she shot him too, this time she knew it was for sure a good hit. With that I climbed down and walked her way to take up the trail. I stumbled right into the 2nd buck piled up not 50 yards from her stand with a perfect quartering away shot. Turns out the first buck she must have been too nerved up and missed cleanly right over his back. Needless to say we were all ecstatic to have her first deer ever!

As for the deer I shot, not much of a story. He came in quick, would not stop no matter much I yelled. I could see he was badly injured based on how he was walking. He bedded up about 90 yards from me and I took the small window I had and shot. He did not even move and was dead instantly. Unfortunately when I skinned him out I found the infection had gone septic as he was covered in green puss and smelled horrible. I'm sure he was not far from death as is.

I'll still try to fill my other buck tag and have a couple doe tags as well. December is one of my favorite times to bowhunt. Good luck guys!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nice hunt and sorry about your gramps D4, sounds like your wife is legit.one of two things needs to happen either get her more arrows for Christmas or limit how many she takes afield ,might be hard stepping over all the deer if she has access to a full quiver.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
A little update from myself, bow season ended slow, did have my target 10 point at 60 yards one morning which was exciting but other than that it was slow. Rifle opened with the usual crowds, opener wasn’t too bad but the 2nd day was like a light show before sunrise had to have been a dozen guys within 1/4 mile of me. The only good news was that there was no shots and talked to a guy at lunch that had kicked up the big 10 that morning,(so he survived the crowds). Since than I’ve been letting that spot cool down but with the result of seeing more hunters than deer. Till today went for a hike, went 7 miles and dragged a deer out the last 3/4 mile. Was able to take a doe today which is exciting after the frustrating season I’ve had. I usually rifle hunt the UP so seeing hunters is extremely uncommon, so seeing this many people in the woods this year has been less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Administrator
35,623 Posts
Hunted again this past Tuesday in the snow in Wellston. I love snow hunts. Only saw two fawns but for me that is a win during gun season (not to mention, near the end of it.)

Will probably hunt a few more times during the smoke pole season.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I posted my pics for scoring in the successful hunters page, should be adding those points to the total. Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Merry Christmas guys! not hunting anymore but the cameras are still fun
picture of a older buck and a young 10 i think. Hope they lay low for the next week! will post my deer in the team thread,
needed pictures of my bow deer so i thawed it over gun season took some and noticed a additional point across the back against skull 10pt for the win HOHO!
appreciate all who participated.Enjoy the holidays,happy trails!

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very good looking Buck pleistocene. Hope you have a merry christmas as well. I intend to put another tag on a doe while I am off from work next week. Guess I gave away more meat to relatives than I thought and we need more to make it through the year. I also will add mine to the scoring thread in a day or two.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts