Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's terrible Steve. So sorry to hear about your brother in law. I'm glad you are getting back after it, and I got a feeling that's what he would want.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well guys Oct ended on a good note for me with my first Halloween buck. Not much of a story, he was following a group of 5 doe head to a hayfield, when he stepped into an openning at 18 yrds i sent an artow thru him. it was a double lung shot. He ran about 50 yrds are tipped over. Was a little worried when i found the arrow it had dsrk red blood, lioked more like a muscle hit. There was no blood so we just walked in the genersl direction he had run. View attachment 596383
20201031_214617.jpg
View attachment 596383

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
I guess so Marcus that's a good one congratulations I'm out on the ground in a box blind just saw a spike and two other small bucks earlier

·
Registered
481 Posts
8 bucks just chased a Doe right by me 15 yards there is one that stood out and one was decent still a half rack standing in the field surveying where they ran that was something

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very sorry for your loss Steve. Your BIL is watching from above, hopefully you find peace in the treestand this season.

Sorry I've been so quiet. Got very lucky down in IL shooting my personal best and then watching one of my best friends shoot an even bigger buck out of the same tree right after. Have hunted MI a few times, just not seeing the deer I am after. I'll keep after it. Good luck guys!
IL2020.jpg
IL2020-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I’ll be in the tree finally next couple days.. unfortunately these temps aren’t going to help me any.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have an eventful story that goes along I put it together maybe when I have a computer I'm wiped out right now don't know if anyone really wants to read about four pages but it might be helpful good luck to all

·
Registered
481 Posts
Due to the weather and deer always in my plot, i was hunting a box blind i can get to in stealth that is on the way to my tree stand i wanted to hunt, 4 days in a row that buck would be out there mostly in the morning i could see him in the moon light with binos saw him twice in the day on the 2nd.On the 3rd i was planning a all day hunt was going earlier to beat him out there,on my way deer blew right away so i took the hidden path to the ground blind, i wanted to pick up something i left anyways,as i get in the blind i see a shadow its a big buck he doesn't spook walks away,i don't risk and stay put deer are filtering thru right away its ben clear for about 15mi i cant take it.

I start to make my move to the tree at 8,two deer bust me on the way crap.As soon as i sit in the stand 2 doe right there don't see me feel better about my move now
about 10to 15 mi later here he comes over my right shoulder,i practice lefty with cross bow, now he is right beside me 20 yds my eye to scope coordination is not good at that moment , now he is far enough in front to switch to right handed he is going to be walking straight away in no time and tree in the way,i stop him just in time,I shoot looks low and forward wtf hear loud crack hit bone runs about 90yds looks hurt stops then it looks like he went down but it also goes down hill.
unsure i wait in my tree ALWAYS WAIT TO TRACK.I last about 3 and a half hours wanted to wait longer but its so agonizing lots of blood where i last saw him good blood trail but its bright red like mussel he makes it another 80yds to a marsh grass swamp,i stop and go back to look at the arrow its a joke nothing on the BH at all.

I go back eat something its so hot im soaked ,strip down take my quiver off don't know what ill be getting in to ,grab my knife 1 bolt now its 4 1/2 hours after shot i start at marsh edge keep in mind i am tracking as silent as possible slow motion ,the edge was slash then it opens to marsh grass about 10 inches above my knee ,it is sunny i am wondering if he bedded in shade.
About 40 yards in blood is harder to see, open grass area in full sun im following blood and also looking around moving very slow, i see what looks like a antler shining in the sun,to my left a bit, looks to big but it is, i take a step and a half its him i see his head rack and eye ball the sun was to my back only reason i could figure that he did not see me i could not believe it, he was so close about 30 feet.
He was lying down could not see his body ,stood with scope on him for 15 seconds with only grass to my knees way to visible so i knelt knowing i would be shooting thru grass and weeds given the chance,wind was in my favor, plan was to keep the bow shouldered thru the scope i only saw right antler ,i saw when he looked my way or straight watching a 60 deg radius never in to the wind, pain was setting in from the position i was holding for 15 min

thought about throwing my knife to get him to stand ,also thinking at some point the wind would shift, finally he must of caught some wind current and and stood facing the opposite way i thought but broad side ,grass in the way but he was so close this time i had a fixed blade not mechanical like the first shot,again i couldn't believe this was happening., aimed for double lung ,grass did deflect arrow up and right i saw it, hit good behind shoulder the trajectory up into spine dropped him with a loud groan,thank god i did not have to drag him farther, a heart attack was a legit concern to me got way to out of breath that much weight is beyond my ability any more

if you made it this far, he is not done only had 1 arrow he is mostly parallelized but comes at me when i go to finish him with knife, a few saplings helped shield me from getting stuck he was still stronger than me ,think he was low on blood additional wounds yielded none.5 1/2 hours after shot
Risking a move or getting on stand at different times of day can work
number one make a better shot to start with
wait to track as long as you can even if you hear thrashing like he is down
track like a ninja by yourself to start with,the later afternoon when the wind picks up can give you back ground noise you need ,bring more than one arrow and some help to drag

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great story and an amazing hunt. One you wont soon forget, I am sure. I have never stalked a deer but imagine the rush is better than sitting in a tree.

Its amazing how resilient these animals are. I always pause before approaching. I watched my buddies dad wrestle with a buck after thinking he was dead. Deer stood up and charged him so he took it by the horns to the ground and wrestled him until we could come finish it off. He couldn't let the deer go in fear he would be gored lol. Crazy to witness.

Another example - I watched my grandpa slit a bucks throat after being stuck with a crossbow bolt. Deer was DONE. After that we walked to the house to get the tractor. When we came back the buck was gone, maybe 30 minutes later. Stood up and ran another 150 yards after being shot and having its throat cut. Looked like someone was throwing buckets of blood on the trees and ground.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For sure Creek I have successfully stalked one like that before it's unbelievable well worth waiting to get help tracking or get a dog I left out all the details but he jacked up my wrist trying to hold his antlers sure needed another arrow like you said he could have got up and then gone forever if the deer still moving keepshooting heard quite a few stories of deer being dropped and not moving and recovering 15-20 minutes later and running off deer are beasts if they were aggressive they could take you out quick

·
Registered
446 Posts
My brother talked me into taking a day off from hunting yesterday to do some perch fishing and turned out to be a good one. Best day on the water in a long time. These were the biggest with the rest of our limit 8- 9 inches.
Today back in the tree trying to fill another tag.
Good luck guys!!
20201106_152650.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good mess of perch you got there marcus. Been a long time since I've had a day like that. This warm weather has had me thinking about getting the boat out!

I sat this morning. Had good movement until about 9:00ish. Saw 5 bucks and a handful of doe. One of the bucks was a stud 8 who was bumping them around. Just didnt come in range. Given the warm weather I am only hunting mornings at this point unless the cell cams tell me otherwise. Shot both the .44 and muzzle loader this afternoon to make sure they both were accurate. They will kill :). Ready for some cold weather.

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
Well guys as you know this season has been tough for me. This morning I had a buck coming in and he didn't like the camo camoflauge netting blowing in the wind in my stand. All is not lost as a friend in camp got a nice 10 point this morning.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts