Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

241 - 247 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
4th place, not that bad, had a fun and at sometimes trying season but got it done, freezer filled. Time to move into post season scouting-small game hunting. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well I might not have posted much but I managed to get out several times on public land this month. I worked it out so I could play daddy duty in the morning and hunt in the evenings. Still managed to squeeze in a couple morning hunts but the action seemed better in the evenings so I didn’t push the issue much.

On the 17th I found 2 small areas that had a bunch of rubs about a half mile apart. The first area had twice as many rubs but was further from food. The area closer to the food looked like the rubs were a little fresher. I still wasn’t sure if the buck that made them was alive but it gave me something to work with.

On the afternoon of the 22nd, I set up towards the food about 150 yards downwind of the freshest rubs. Still wasn’t expecting much because all I had seen up to this point was does, but it was good to be out hunting none the less. About 5pm, I was scanning the vast area with my naked eye and suddenly I spotted what looked like a white rack in the cattails. I thought for sure my eyes were playing tricks on me until I pulled up the glass and was pleasantly surprised that it actually was a nice rack! He was bedded 75 yards away behind a pocket of thick grass and I had no idea until he stood up! Unfortunately he was facing directly away from me and never gave me a clean shot before he disappeared behind some brush.

With my confidence boosted, I set up in that area 3 more times, playing the wind and hunting a different tree every time and never saw him again. I thought for sure he was on to me and headed back to the other area that I found his rubs. So Sunday morning I set up high in an observation stand and saw him sneaking into that other area. That afternoon I snuck in closer but he never showed himself before dark. Pressure was starting to increase since everyone was off for the holidays so I figured that also played a roll in him changing locations.

Tuesday afternoon the weather was looking good so I decided to set up in the last area I’d seen him. I got out early, took my time setting the stand and was being as quite as possible because there wasn’t much wind to cover my noise. None of that mattered though because the buck wasn’t there.

About 4:30pm a small game hunter bumped him and a doe out of the other area I’d seen him and he escaped into the area I was hunting. I had to blow at him several times to get him to stop running. They both started walking, looking at me and they were getting close to cover, so I took the shot at 140 yards. The buck took off like a bat outta hell and covered about 200 yards across an open area before I lost him. I thought for sure I’d missed. Got down from the tree, reloaded, and started walking the way he ran.

When I got to the shot site, I found some tracks and then a little blood. I kept going and the blood was increasing a little but still wasn’t as much as I’d hoped to see. After about 150 yards I saw what looked like a log up ahead. I glassed the “log” and saw that it had a big rack attached to it! I couldn’t believe it! He was laying right where I lost sight of him!

It wasn’t the way I expected our game of cat and mouse to end, but I’ll take it! This is the latest I’ve ever taken a buck and it still doesn’t seem real! 15 more points for the good guys!

View attachment 624395 View attachment 624397 View attachment 624399 View attachment 624401
Great looking rack, love how he carries the length through out the entire beam. Again on public land too! Great job man can’t wait to see the mount! Stay safe all, less than 10 months and we get to do it all over again!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well I might not have posted much but I managed to get out several times on public land this month. I worked it out so I could play daddy duty in the morning and hunt in the evenings. Still managed to squeeze in a couple morning hunts but the action seemed better in the evenings so I didn’t push the issue much.

On the 17th I found 2 small areas that had a bunch of rubs about a half mile apart. The first area had twice as many rubs but was further from food. The area closer to the food looked like the rubs were a little fresher. I still wasn’t sure if the buck that made them was alive but it gave me something to work with.

On the afternoon of the 22nd, I set up towards the food about 150 yards downwind of the freshest rubs. Still wasn’t expecting much because all I had seen up to this point was does, but it was good to be out hunting none the less. About 5pm, I was scanning the vast area with my naked eye and suddenly I spotted what looked like a white rack in the cattails. I thought for sure my eyes were playing tricks on me until I pulled up the glass and was pleasantly surprised that it actually was a nice rack! He was bedded 75 yards away behind a pocket of thick grass and I had no idea until he stood up! Unfortunately he was facing directly away from me and never gave me a clean shot before he disappeared behind some brush.

With my confidence boosted, I set up in that area 3 more times, playing the wind and hunting a different tree every time and never saw him again. I thought for sure he was on to me and headed back to the other area that I found his rubs. So Sunday morning I set up high in an observation stand and saw him sneaking into that other area. That afternoon I snuck in closer but he never showed himself before dark. Pressure was starting to increase since everyone was off for the holidays so I figured that also played a roll in him changing locations]

Damn nice writeup! I could actually picture it!
Damn nice deer

Reactions: Uncle Boopoo
241 - 247 of 247 Posts