Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Reactions: bowhunter426

· Registered
2,356 Posts
I'll get the ball rolling. My name is Gary and my brother and I hunt 120 private acres near lake Huron, north of Harrisville. Spent 3 days over the labor day weekend getting camp, property, and stands ready for the season. I work as a planner/supervisor decommissioning and tearing down Nuclear plants. Currently out in California for the last 2 years. My hunting will be limited to 3 weeks in November (the 3rd until the 26th) and I fly home again for the last 8 days of December. I captained a team 5 years ago of great hunters and we were able to score top honors two years in a row. Doe's with bows is where it starts. Two bucks works also, but you need the 7 archery points instead of the 5 gun points. You will be surprised at the end of the contest how close things will be. Anyway, I'll be living the hunt through you guys for the first month. Keep the stories coming and good hunting!

· Registered
9,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for me, name is Greg. I hunt public land in Ottawa and Allegan counties.

Going to go find some wood to knock on, but I typically shoot 2-3 deer a year. I don't hunt a lot early season. Instead I focus on November and will burn 3-4 weeks of PTO starting late October thru Thanksgiving.

Currently have 6 cell cameras out on 6 different pieces and it isn't looking good. Just some pictures of Raccoons and cats since mid August. Hoping as summer patterns end the deer move in.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
My name is Justin and I hunt private in Van Buren, Kalamazoo, and Barry. Also hunt a lot of state land in Allegan county. To be honest, I focus the majority of my efforts out of state. When I'm back home I am generally taking my wife or disabled FIL out. He has ALS (Lou Gehrigs) and each year presents new challenges to get him in the woods but we really have fun. I still sneak in every hunt I can and always try to at least shoot an archery doe here at home.

· Registered
740 Posts
Hi I'm Jerry, I mostly hunt in NELP (Oscoda & Ogemaw). I hunt both state and private. Mostly a weekend warrior but will spend Nov 4th to Nov. 20 up at my cabin. My first choice would be bow but I will hit all the seasons. Like Big Shooter said does with bows are the key. I look forward to the season. I will stay active once the season starts.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Nik don't you go to IL as well?

· Registered
786 Posts
Hi guys...My name is Jay and I hunt mostly Roscommon and Crawford counties. I don't hunt weekends due to work, so, i get the woods pretty much to myself. I hunt 100% state land. I have a couple decent ones to choose from. Let's have a good and safe year....

· Premium Member
10,496 Posts
Hi I'm Jerry, I mostly hunt in NELP (Oscoda & Ogemaw). I hunt both state and private. Mostly a weekend warrior but will spend Nov 4th to Nov. 20 up at my cabin. My first choice would be bow but I will hit all the seasons. Like Big Shooter said does with bows are the key. I look forward to the season. I will stay active once the season starts.
Good luck Jerry!!!

You guys got a solid teammate in Reaper!!! He’s a killa!!!

· Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Fred I primarily hunted Genesee County but also the State Land in Gratiot County. Looking forward to the season, families kind of had a rough past two years with my father having a stroke last year and my mother recently past away. I work retail, this time of the year we pull four 10's so three days off a week plus some vacation time planned leading into the Holiday Season. l'll definitely be putting some time in the woods this year. Wishing everyone good luck and a successful safe season guys!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Nik don't you go to IL as well?
Some day dubllung!! Mainly Wyoming and Missouri for my out of state stuff. But I have spent some time in Colorado and I have point building in multiple other states.

· Registered
740 Posts
Well anyone heading out for early antlerless season? I'm headed to Central this weekend. Its parent weekend, so no hunting for me. It's way to warm anyways. I think I'm going to head north 1 day next week to pull some cameras and to see how the plots are doing. Oct 1 is right around the corner

· Registered
2,356 Posts
My wife graduated from central. Loved going to Mountain Town Station for a couple of craft brews and dinner. Great beer and food. Good luck to anyone hunting this weekend. When I was working and at home in the past, my brother and I would go to camp and sit in different blinds and observe deer activities and call/hunt yotes. Never shot any does but killed a few yotes.

Reactions: michiganreaper
1 - 20 of 171 Posts