Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here’s the official team thread for the champions of this year’s tourney. If you have a second, introduce yourself, let us know what area you are hunting/season, if you like long walks on the beach, any target bucks on camera, etc.

TheMait-CAPTAIN
BucksandDucks
Spartan88
buckwacker48097
Badfishmi
dewey2232
eboll
Dubllung4

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm Larry. I hunt public land in southern Michigan, out of a saddle. I prefer hunting with a bow. After shooting a compound for years I decided to switch to a crossbow in 2011. Took a lot of deer with it, but decided to go back to my old compound last year to challenge myself. Ended up only taking a doe, but it was a good feeling to take my first deer in some time with a compound and first with the saddle. Upgraded to a new compound and a heavy arrow setup over the summer. I am doing my first out-of-state hunt in Ohio in a couple weeks for their archery opener. I really like long walks on the beach.... While I don't have any cameras up on public land, I do have cameras up in my back yard to drool at what walks by... This is my best so far....
Vertebrate Deer Mammal Atmospheric phenomenon Style

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Howdy gang, my name is Jim. I hunt private land in DMU 452. Pre rut is my favorite time to deer hunt. Love calling bucks in with a doe bleat. Hunting big woods I'm not too picky, 3 on one side gets a second look. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Hello all, my name is Casey and I will be mostly hunting shiawassee County private on a lease that I share with a friend. I enjoy bow hunting the most and am also a big fan of the doe bleat.

Typically on my lease we have some monsters around all summer but not this year. Hopefully some will move in at some point.

We do have quite a few like this one around though
Plant Green Deer Grass Natural landscape

Sent from my SM-A526U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My daughter got her first 2 deer last year. One during the youth hunt and one one opening morning of gun season.

We actually doubled up on opening morning. I was gutting hers and she says DAD, THERES A DEER LOOKING AT US. I grabbed my gun and it was a buck we had been watching all year that we called Captain Hook. Nice 4 on one side, the other side went straight up and forked with a big hook off the back. I dropped him and it turned out he was all busted up.
Smile Plant Hunting Working animal Mammal
Face Smile Hunting Trophy hunting Plant
Clothing Hunting Photograph Plant Smile

Sent from my SM-A526U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted some pics from the youth weekend in the whitetail forum. Just thought it would be some cool "Team Bonding" if we posted some of our kids pics...
I've got a 6 year-old son who has sat out with me for the past couple years in a ghost blind and has even called in some deer. I don’t know who’s more excited about him getting to actually hunt for the first time. I’m thinking about trying in the next year or two if he’s comfortable and ready for it.
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Military uniform Tree
Brown Plant Natural landscape Wood Twig

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My name is Steve (Mac) and I live in Northern St Clair County with Sanilac across the road. I have hunted and fished my awesome state since I was very young. I have recently retired from coaching after 23 years and have 3 years left of teaching. I have 5 children who all love to hunt, but only the girls really love to fish. I have taken lots of nice bucks throughout the thumb, as well as, turkeys. I enjoy improving the 20 acres behind my house and have an addiction to planting trees (my wife says its an issue).

This is my first time in the contest and I hope I'm able to contribute some points. I'm going to include a picture of one of the walls in my house. This wall has some, but not all of the bigger bucks I have shot. The only odd ball is the fallow deer from Texas shot on my "Hunting Moon" just outside the YO ranch.

So far I have really enjoyed posts from our team.
Elk Vertebrate Deer Natural material Mammal

·
Registered
472 Posts
My name is Jeff. I live in northern Oakland county and I hunt some state land down here but spend most of my time hunting on my parents property in Arenac county. I love to bowhunter but still join in on the firearm seasons. I have 3 daughters 13, 11, and 6. The 13 and 11 year old have bows and shoot leagues but none of them are interested in hunting. They do sit with me a couple times a season but the older they get the less they want to go sit in the woods with dad lol. Maybe someday they’ll decide to give it a try.

I spend all winter, spring, and summer shooting competitive archery. I have even attended one national tournament. This is something I’d like to do more of but the girls keep me busy.

Here’s one of the decent deer we have on camera this season
Plant Deer Natural landscape Painting Terrestrial animal

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
My name is Jeff. I live in northern Oakland county and I hunt some state land down here but spend most of my time hunting on my parents property in Arenac county. I love to bowhunter but still join in on the firearm seasons. I have 3 daughters 13, 11, and 6. The 13 and 11 year old have bows and shoot leagues but none of them are interested in hunting. They do sit with me a couple times a season but the older they get the less they want to go sit in the woods with dad lol. Maybe someday they’ll decide to give it a try.

I spend all winter, spring, and summer shooting competitive archery. I have even attended one national tournament. This is something I’d like to do more of but the girls keep me busy.

Here’s one of the decent deer we have on camera this season
View attachment 786884

Hey, that ones not old enough to shoot yet, LGLG! 🤪

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey team I’m Nolan 36 married from Charlevoix county. I hunt all the seasons and put 4 in freezer. I’m good for 2 guaranteed archery doe. The buck is up in the air I do hunt public only except first early doe. I’ll try like hell for antlers but the goal is at least 5 in the freezer. Me and my wife no kids.

·
Registered
472 Posts
anyone planning to get out and kill a doe this weekend? I drew the short straw at work and will be in the plant working most of the weekend. I guess better now then in Oct or Nov. I'm hoping the food plots come up decent this will be the second time we planted them this fall. First planting was drowned out and didn't come up. All this rain the past 3 days has me a little concerned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’ll be out but this weekend. We have salmon camp going on up here so I’ll bring a deer back to camp for all of us to part out and get in the cooler. Then eat some heart and back strap. Gonna be a fun weekend fishing hunting small game!!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish I was going to get out...but I'm a fan of being able to let my deer hang in my garage for 10 days, if I can help it. I generally won't take a doe until the temps drop down into the 40s-50s. Good luck to all who get out! Let's all stack up some does during archery season!

·
Registered
991 Posts
My name is Justin and I bowhunt both public and private in SW MI. I take a couple trips to IL every fall as well and try to focus my efforts there. Back home I just enjoy getting out and trying to get my wife on deer. Can't wait for fall!
Last years IL public bow buck
Hunting Plant Deer hunting Military camouflage Plant community
Head Trophy hunting Smile Plant Hunting

1 - 20 of 45 Posts