Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 21 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys running teal dekes in the spread or are you just throwing out the mallards? Never really targeted teal specifically.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mallard decoys.

Interesting how with the new Teal season you see all the stores advertising teal decoys, I am sure they get more than a few takers thinking they have to buy a bunch of new decoys to be more successful getting teal.

Teal have landed in my Puddler Duck setup for years, nothing changes just because there is a special season just for them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Mallard decoys.

Interesting how with the new Teal season you see all the stores advertising teal decoys, I am sure they get more than a few takers thinking they have to buy a bunch of new decoys to be more successful getting teal.

Teal have landed in my Puddler Duck setup for years, nothing changes just because there is a special season just for them.
X2. They swim into my mallards all the time

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 6, but went years without them and killed lots of teal. I got them more for my personal liking. Probably don't do much but it makes me feel like I have a more realistic spread.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm carving some up for my rig - not specifically for teal season but a previous poster noted, just to make the spread look less uniform. Plus, it worked when I added a single drake widgeon - noted widgeon flying by but would see that lone deke and dive right in.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
I'm carving some up for my rig - not specifically for teal season but a previous poster noted, just to make the spread look less uniform. Plus, it worked when I added a single drake widgeon - noted widgeon flying by but would see that lone deke and dive right in.

I hunt beaver ponds in the northern opener every yr. about 20 yrs ago I added a few teal that I always seperate from the mallards by 20 yds or so. I think I seemed to get more wood ducks dumping in after doing this. They will have a tendency to land just outside the smaller teal.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had noticeably better results last year with a few teal decoys, I would say they are worth 35 bucks, and probably don't hurt. Teal would buzz the mallards only spread, but readily landed in a few teal decoys off to one side.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
It is impossible to kill teal without teal decoys. And, if you don't have a TEAL spinner, the spinner will not work either.

No different than trying to kill canvasback without can decoys.

Amazing what "professor internet" will try to tell uneducated duck hunters!!:coco:

·
Registered
918 Posts
It is impossible to kill teal without teal decoys. And, if you don't have a TEAL spinner, the spinner will not work either.

No different than trying to kill canvasback without can decoys.

Amazing what "professor internet" will try to tell uneducated duck hunters!!:coco:
Quite negative as of lately. Nowhere in this thread did anyone say they were mandatory.... people said they can't hurt and people said don't bother.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Before teal season was a thing, we'd have them literally bomb the goose decoys. No hesitation, no spinners either. During duck season they land well with mallards. Teal are never my primary target though. I don't think they would hurt to have, but I'm not sure that they would be an absolute necessity either. But for $35 for 6 I'd probably throw them out for the fun of it. Good luck this season!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
picked a few up for the simple fact i walk in a lot and can carry more...but had plenty of teal dump in inside the geese before the season came about ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a half dozen AvianX GWT decoys. Do I need them to kill teal? Nope. Do I Like the looks of them floating in my duck hole? Yep. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I have teal decoys, but only because I found them for $20 for a half doz and thought it was worth it, otherwise I would never buy teal decoys. IMO hen mallards are the way to go in any event, but if you have the teals incidentally like I do, throw em in, why not. We have a mentality that there is some value to a magnum decoy.... well, the way I see it, my normal sized mallard hens can serve just fine as "early season teal magnums". If I'm in a goosey spot I'll run a spread of only canadas with hopes of either geese or teal decoying. I have heard teal decoy well to spinners, so I'd run that as well, but BY NO MEANS does the spinner have to be a teal.

If your teal deeks are anything like the set I have, there are drakes in there. I plan on keeping my drakes at home for early teal.

1 - 21 of 24 Posts