Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the river depths were towards the mouth of the river were the launch is at a buddy of mine wants to make sure it's deep enough to get out with his boat any help will be a great appreciation.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a 19` lund with a outboard and i would never go out of there even if i trim her up its to scary for me. i would launch outa the state launch 2 miles up the rd. its 2` to start and then hits 1` its all sand but hey its your boat lol. if u do when u head out of the river go out at like between 10 and 11 o`clock. and pray for the wind to stay down or ull be hitten the bottom comming back in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
From my past experience it varies from year to year. Typically an aluminum with an outboard can trim up and get over the sandbar without too much hassel (all soft sand if you do scrap). I have seen much bigger boats traverse the entry. Usually spring is the worse time as the ice usually piles the sand up until it gets knocked down by waves, boats, or dredging. The river itself is plenty deep enough, it's about 30-40 yards out into the lake that you encounter the sandbar.

I would think with the new launch ramp they would be dredging it out annually anyway. However, as twbeyes stated, you can also just launch at the DNR ramp if you are concerned.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the help I think he is going to just launch at the state launch two miles up the road. Yeah you would think since they spend all that money on the new launch that they would do something about the water dept to get bigger boats out without a problem. I mean what is the use of the new launch? Looks like money well spent lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts