Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally was a commercially licensed aquactic pesticide applicator in Michigan I can not understand killing wild rice on any lake for any reason...... I've been informed of what's going on ..in tawas lake ....ladies and gentlemen this shouldn't happen

·
Premium Member
29,617 Posts
What are they doing that for? What is the problem with the wild rice? I love uncle bens long grain myself..lol

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not yet I will be no permits have been issued but there is a push going on....it seems the reason is only for recreational boating ...

its not a navigational channel its not a private marina its a public lake and its not an invasive species

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
not yet I will be no permits have been issued but there is a push going on....it seems the reason is only for recreational boating ...

its not a navigational channel its not a private marina its a public lake and its not an invasive species
Let us know the outcome of that conversation.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
There is a lot more wild rice growing around lakes in northern Michigan than most people realize. I used to buy it at roadside stands in the NW part of the State every year, but I don't venture over there at that time much, anymore. It is wonderful to eat. I don't know why anyone would want to eradicate it. It provides good food for a lot of ducks, and aquatic species.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have been searching the web for info on here, and all I can find is a post on our web page here from 2013. That post said that the local home owners lake association was paying to have it removed. Rice was there long before most of these home owners. If you don't like it go buy on another lake.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,219 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
The transfer of majority voices on lake association boards from fisherman and "lovers of the lake" to the drunken pontooner, "turn the lake into a sandbowl so we can party crowd" is incredibly sad. See it firsthand on Loon Lake in Hale, where my family has a cabin.

Savin Lake Services shows up on Tuesday or Wednesday's mid-day, so hopefully not many people see them spraying copper sulfate (algae control) out of their airboat wearing chemical suits. Should take a picture for all to see next year! Wish our association would take under consideration some basic research on the long term ecological effects of that product.

Aside from algae bloom control, Eurasian Milfoil control and other subsequent treatments have harmed native vegetation and in my opinion, and many of the other good fishermen on the lake, destroyed the excellent bass and pike fishing once found on the lake.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did phrag control and algae ( in sewage ponds) we did spray clogged up private cuts as well I'm just getting into the tawas lake deal

by all means video tape any application if the contractor doesn't like it they are doing something wrong I'd have welcomed it just as proof everything was done correctly

·
Registered
794 Posts
I did phrag control and algae ( in sewage ponds) we did spray clogged up private cuts as well I'm just getting into the tawas lake deal

by all means video tape any application if the contractor doesn't like it they are doing something wrong I'd have welcomed it just as proof everything was done correctly
No hating on responsible pesticide application from me, I'm an applicator myself and understand invasive species control. Just reiterating, as if there's any need, that all too often idiots are in charge of management decisions.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
We had a deal like that and it turned out to be some influential big shot in the community who felt the vegetation in question was blocking his view..........Doesn't make ecological sense to me to spray the rice. That's the reason the fishing, bird watching and duck hunting is so good there. Crazy.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
We had a deal like that and it turned out to be some influential big shot in the community who felt the vegetation in question was blocking his view..........Doesn't make ecological sense to me to spray the rice. That's the reason the fishing, bird watching and duck hunting is so good there. Crazy.
Transplant NIMBY control. Kind of like when people move out to the country and find a gravel pit near them. They cry and complain about the noise and dust but yet they moved out there onto a gravel road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts