Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great opening morning on the property I hunt near Tawas. I caught this 8 point sneaking out of a swamp with a doe at 8:40 AM opening morning. On my way out to my stand which is tight to a bedding area I started hearing deer moving around and vocalizing. I turn my headlamp out when I start to sneak into this stand about 80 acres out. So, I decided to move to the closest tree and sit down on the ground. Sitting there for 1.5 hours waiting for it to get light I could still hear deer moving. As soon as it was light, I started seeing deer. They were feeding heavy on acorns and using the 10-15 year old pines around the oaks as security cover.

Prior to shooting this buck- I saw 15 deer, two small bucks. This eight point came out to my left at about 45 yards. He was moving very slowly taking a couple steps and waiting for minutes, seemed like hours when all I could see was his antlers moving above the pine trees. He finally took two steps out and gave me a clear shot to his left front shoulder. The .270 broke him down and he never moved from the spot.

good luck the rest of the season ladies and gentlemen! Still have another tag and a trip to PA for the opener with family. So hopefully I will be posting another picture or two of a good buck.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Nice buck and like the story. good luck.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No- did not get him aged. I think he is a 2.5- maybe 3.5 YO buck. As you know, you are not going to see much better up there on the property we hunt.... I pulled him back to camp- about a 160 acre pull... My old butt was a little sore- wasnt bad once I got him out of the tangled, nasty stuff though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow great buck, congratulations

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Awesome Tawas buck I hunted up that way when I was younger on my uncle richs property on Wilber rd

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!
<----<<<

1 - 15 of 15 Posts