Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Tawas 2023

130K views 887 replies 106 participants last post by  andyotto 
#1 ·
(Feel free to post nearby ports as well. )

Got back from Florida Monday, saw that they put a dock in in East Tawas yesterday so I figured I could get a morning trip in before the next storm system gets here. Went out solo and fished from 10-20 FOW. Ran black and silver husky jerks 30-50 behind the boards. 2.0 mph. Ended up going 9 for 11 on all lakers. Cookie cutter 10-12 lbs. Water was extremely cold hovering just over 32 degrees. It had great color though. All the fish were full of perch. Great to be back out there again.
Wood Rectangle Grey Art Sculpture

Food Recipe Ingredient Seafood Beef

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Hood Motor vehicle

Scaled reptile Fish Snake Serpent Colubridae

Water Sky Water resources Cloud Waterway

See less See more
#21 ·
(Feel free to post nearby ports as well. )

Got back from Florida Monday, saw that they put a dock in in East Tawas yesterday so I figured I could get a morning trip in before the next storm system gets here. Went out solo and fished from 10-20 FOW. Ran black and silver husky jerks 30-50 behind the boards. 2.0 mph. Ended up going 9 for 11 on all lakers. Cookie cutter 10-12 lbs. Water was extremely cold hovering just over 32 degrees. It had great color though. All the fish were full of perch. Great to be back out there again. View attachment 888361
View attachment 888362
View attachment 888364
View attachment 888365
View attachment 888363
great report! welcome back! enjoy the Michigan winter/spring season

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#25 ·
Battled the the wind and the waves.. marked lots of fish and bait... only 3 bites... 2 landed. Laker was just east of river. Scatter rap minnow 35' back 11fow... brown was on #9 hit stick orange and gold, 45' back, 11fow front of shell station. 2.0sog. Other bite was west of the river in 11fow on the scatter rap.
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Salmon-like fish

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#26 ·
Battled the the wind and the waves.. marked lots of fish and bait... only 3 bites... 2 landed. Laker was just east of river. Scatter rap minnow 35' back 11fow... brown was on #9 hit stick orange and gold, 45' back, 11fow front of shell station. 2.0sog. Other bite was west of the river in 11fow on the scatter rap. View attachment 888860 View attachment 888861

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Saw you guys out there Nick. Thought to myself that looks miserable. :LOL: Glad you guys got in a couple. You earned it. Way to go.

#31 · (Edited)
Ed and I made it out today ahead of another big weather system. Lots of action but lost a number of fish as well. 1 for 3 on browns and 4 for 10 total, the rest were lakers. Fish were really short striking. The ones we got were barely hooked. Had a brown break us off on the first fish. Must have been a bad spot on the line as it broke as we unhitched the board. Ed got a tank though that made the trip. Same program with same gear. Probably be until next week that we can get back out.
Water Sky Boat Fisherman Smile
Food Ingredient Seafood Fish Rectangle

#33 ·
Ed and I made it today ahead of another big weather system. Lots of action but lost a number of fish as well. 1 for 3 on browns and 4 for 10 total, the rest were lakers. Fish were really short striking. The ones we got were barely hooked. Had a brown break us off on the first fish. Must have been a bad spot on the line as it broke as we unhitched the board. Ed got a tank though that made the trip. Same program with same gear. Probably be until next week that we can get back out.
View attachment 889161 View attachment 889162
The DNR told us at the last LHCAC meeting that most of the browns that are being caught in the Tawas/Au Gres Area are planted fish from the Rifle River. Its therefor one of the best brown trout returns from stocking in the state. They are thinking about expanding those plants in the Rifle.

#38 ·
Got a two day report.
Thursday: My buddy Mike and I went 6 for 8 with 4 lakers, a nice colored up brown and a 35 inch pike.
Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Boat
Water Sky Fisherman Boat Cloud

Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Boat

O
Of the three I cleaned one laker was full of gobies one had perch and the brown was full of shiners.

Friday: Took out my friends Tyler and Paul. Went 8 for 10 with 5 lakers and 3 nice pike. Same program as we’ve been running. Both days fishing was hot until the sun popped out and then bait and fish disappeared.
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Fish

Water Sky Boat Cloud Smile

Water Boat Cloud Sky Vertebrate

Water Sky Cloud Boat Fish