Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 953 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where do those Browns go in July?
Where do those Browns go in July?
Have read articles saying that they are never more than five miles from where you find them in spring. That's a lot of water to cover. We catch a few offshore within that five miles during the summer. In July after a hard blow where the inshore water has flipped we have caught some big browns. Those hard blows also brings the perch into the pier head's.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Have read articles saying that they are never more than five miles from where you find them in spring. That's a lot of water to cover. We catch a few offshore within that five miles during the summer. In July after a hard blow where the inshore water has flipped we have caught some big browns. Those hard blows also brings the perch into the pier head's.
I read an article years ago that stated that if you can find their prefered temp where it intersects the bottom, that's where they will be. I have completely forgotten what that prefered temp was. lol

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Andys reports are better than its been in the last 15 years no doubt. But its hard to make that drive when we used to be able to get easy limits of them. Still unicorns in my book. Basically any michigan shoreline. Wisconsin has it made. I know of a kayak angler who landed 60 browns in one day last year over there. There prolly isnt 60 browns caught in all of michigan per year

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Andys reports are better than its been in the last 15 years no doubt. But its hard to make that drive when we used to be able to get easy limits of them. Still unicorns in my book. Basically any michigan shoreline. Wisconsin has it made. I know of a kayak angler who landed 60 browns in one day last year over there. There prolly isnt 60 browns caught in all of michigan per year
Yes it sure is all relative in terms of time and place.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Yes it sure is all relative in terms of time and place.
Yep, the Brown fishing along the WI shorelines is something worth the drive. I‘m especially fond of the area N of Port Washington this time of year…Harrington Beach State Park. Kept my boat in a farmers barn near PW, and hit those fish hard every chance I got, wife and weather permitting. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that was 1979-85….from what I’ve heard lately, the fishing remains excellent.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Got out this evening with my buddy Wayne and his son Maverick. Some coho around although we had a heck of a time keeping them buttoned up. Went 4 for 9 with 2 coho, a brown and a smallie. Pretty sure all 5 we lost were hos. Got super cold out there with the wind out of the East. Pretty much same program as before with black silver HJs.
Seafood Flash photography Fish Ray-finned fish Cuisine

Water Vertebrate Smile Fisherman Outdoor recreation

Water Sky Cloud Smile Fisherman

Water Cloud Sky Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Hey there Andy. Nice job. Have you ever had any luck putting a stinger on the last hook for those Coho? They get fouled pretty easy but we ran some out of Lexington a couple weeks back and most of the fish were either on the stinger itself or on the lure that was running the stinger.

Just the pre-rigged ones for walleye jigs was what I think we were running.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey there Andy. Nice job. Have you ever had any luck putting a stinger on the last hook for those Coho? They get fouled pretty easy but we ran some out of Lexington a couple weeks back and most of the fish were either on the stinger itself or on the lure that was running the stinger.

Just the pre-rigged ones for walleye jigs was what I think we were running.
Using a long, stick bait for coho is going to result in a lot of lost fish since those fish roll around a lot. That's why people that target them use small crankbaits, spoons or flies, which will hold them better.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Way tougher conditions this morning than I expected. Got about a good hrs fishing with Tony before the wind just started whipping out of the east. We ended up moving 2.5 just from the wind without the motor in gear. Lol
Got a nice walleye and a coho before having to call it quits. Looks like tomorrow is going to be windy as well.
Tried to keep it under 2.0. 15 fow. Eye was on black and silver hj. Ho was on blue orange hj in size 8.
Water Sky Cloud Smile Vertebrate

Fish Salmon-like fish Wood Rectangle Fin

141 - 160 of 953 Posts