Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Tony and I launched out of the Tawas River this morning. Cold again with snow flakes in the air. Water color was great, brown and green with temps up to 35. Ended up going 2 for 2 with a couple nice eater browns. 1.7-2.0 with black and silver husky jerks caught both fish. Lots of ice still floating up in the bay east of the dock but most of the ice in front of the state launch is gone. Actually saw a pontoon coming out of there.
Tonight’s dinner!
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Cloud

·
Registered
936 Posts
Tony and I launched out of the Tawas River this morning. Cold again with snow flakes in the air. Water color was great, brown and green with temps up to 35. Ended up going 2 for 2 with a couple nice eater browns. 1.7-2.0 with black and silver husky jerks caught both fish. Lots of ice still floating up in the bay east of the dock but most of the ice in front of the state launch is gone. Actually saw a pontoon coming out of there.
Tonight’s dinner! View attachment 824909
Way to start the season! Nice looking fish.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Way to get em Andy!! Nice!!

·
Premium Member
31,524 Posts
Nice browns Andy! 😀 wish they'd start stocking them again up there. Sounds like the old tried and true smelt colored huskys still working. 😀 Been out last 2 day out on the bay here. Big eyes with tight eggs still roaming. Ice bergs here and there and 35 degree water. Too much rain. Need some temps to warm the water so the perch run...
Water Vertebrate Blue Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Nice browns Andy! 😀 wish they'd start stocking them again up there. Sounds like the old tried and true smelt colored huskys still working. 😀 Been out last 2 day out on the bay here. Big eyes with tight eggs still roaming. Ice bergs here and there and 35 degree water. Too much rain. Need some temps to warm the water so the perch run...
View attachment 825021
I hear you on the browns. Couple of beautiful fish there Ralph!

·
Registered
425 Posts
We once caught browns, Lakers, a steelhead and a king on the same morning. Freshly cleaned, we grilled up one of each species using the same Monreal Steak seasoning. The ones we cooked were al about four-five pounds. We all agreed on the ranking on the taste of the fish being:
1) lake trout
2) king
3) brown
4) steelhead

I smoked some lake trout, salmon and walleyes last year and everybody that tried all of them agreed that the walleye was far better. Try that some time.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
We once caught browns, Lakers, a steelhead and a king on the same morning. Freshly cleaned, we grilled up one of each species using the same Monreal Steak seasoning. The ones we cooked were al about four-five pounds. We all agreed on the ranking on the taste of the fish being:
1) lake trout
2) king
3) brown
4) steelhead

I smoked some lake trout, salmon and walleyes last year and everybody that tried all of them agreed that the walleye was far better. Try that some time.
Lake trout to me are the best smoked fish there is. They don’t dry out like the other salmon/trout do. As far as grill or oven browns, Atlantics and coho are all tied. Walleye to me is a completely different thing like pork or beef. Love them both.
Tony and I had a catch like that a couple years ago. Lots of cooking options. Love them all.
Shoe Vertebrate Mammal Sneakers Smile

Edit: You’re right about those small lakers being delicious too. Big ones get smoked.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Awesome job Andy!!

61 - 80 of 915 Posts