Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
581 - 600 of 953 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I guess I’ll have to look a little harder. In my defense being at a launch site before the sun, then paddling about 4 hours or so does not have me operating at peak mental capacity when driving back home. Usually I’m a little bleary eyed, a lot of times I stop in AuGres and buy a Monster to help with the drive home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey everyone,

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. It was awesome to see so many boats around.

My buddy and I did well out of Oscoda Friday night to Monday starting at 80-130 feet of water on 7-10 colors of lead, riggers, and a slide diver with moonshine spoons like orange carbon, blue jeans, green jeans, some wonderbread variations, and carbon 14. Lakers have been pretty consistent running things like RV flounder pounder close to bottom on riggers/divers. Overall we managed a few lakers, 2 walleye, 2 steel, an atlantic, a coho, a king, and a pink. I have been getting almost all my fish in the morning and have yet to figure out any consistency in the evening. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any tips for replacing a line counter spring on a big jon downrigger that would be swell.... 😵

One last thing... be careful of the nets south east out of the river off Au sable point they are around this area....

Map Font Electric blue Screenshot Parallel

I'll take a picture of my graph and replace this one with the exact spot when I'm back on the boat.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey everyone,

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. It was awesome to see so many boats around.

My buddy and I did well out of Oscoda Friday night to Monday starting at 80-130 feet of water on 7-10 colors of lead, riggers, and a slide diver with moonshine spoons like orange carbon, blue jeans, green jeans, some wonderbread variations, and carbon 14. Lakers have been pretty consistent running things like RV flounder pounder close to bottom on riggers/divers. Overall we managed a few lakers, 2 walleye, 2 steel, an atlantic, a coho, a king, and a pink. I have been getting almost all my fish in the morning and have yet to figure out any consistency in the evening. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any tips for replacing a line counter spring on a big jon downrigger that would be swell.... 😵

One last thing... be careful of the nets south east out of the river off Au sable point they are around this area....

View attachment 841028
I'll take a picture of my graph and replace this one with the exact spot when I'm back on the boat.
Good fishing weekend for you. Glad you got them, I came feet from hitting one down there last year in that area. Still can’t believe I missed it.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Big Jon's website has them in a couple different sizes. Their customer support by phone is excellent. Sometimes you have to wait for him to call you back but they are definitely very helpful. Changing it is pretty straightforward just be careful not to stretch the new one putting it on. I use a small screwdriver to just help it slip onto the upper pulley. Good luck.

That's my recommendation. Thanks for the report and glad you're doing well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Big Jon's website has them in a couple different sizes. Their customer support by phone is excellent. Sometimes you have to wait for him to call you back but they are definitely very helpful. Changing it is pretty straightforward just be careful not to stretch the new one putting it on. I use a small screwdriver to just help it slip onto the upper pulley. Good luck.

That's my recommendation. Thanks for the report and glad you're doing well.
I really appreciate the help. I didn’t even think about the possibility of different size springs… I’m definitely going to give them a call and confirm which one to get. Screwdriver sounds like a great idea.. beats trying to stretch it. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 · (Edited)
There are piles of fish in Alabaster right now. Pulled the late shift. Got our 16 eyes. Marked fish from 30 out to 70. Good mix of sizes. Bigger fish seemed to be deeper. 5-10 colors with glow spoons especially after dark. Mayfly’s and midges were intense. Gotta clean the boat in the morning.
Food Ingredient Rectangle Recipe Seafood

Light Output device Gadget Audio equipment Font

Azure Rectangle Font Gadget Electric blue

Azure Rectangle Font Electric blue Gadget
Water Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Andy,

I know you had a great spring with brown's, trout and silver's, but it doesn't seem to be the mix bag right now as it was the last couple summers. Am I wrong?

Would like to tow the boat up, but I can get my fill of walleye down here in Saginaw Bay.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 · (Edited)
Andy,

I know you had a great spring with brown's, trout and silver's, but it doesn't seem to be the mix bag right now as it was the last couple summers. Am I wrong?

Would like to tow the boat up, but I can get my fill of walleye down here in Saginaw Bay.
We had one silver hit last night on a diver but it was there and gone. When you look back at posts from the last several years, you’ll often see me report good laker or walleye action but no obvious silver hits in June and July. Last year the silver came early. Usually by the end of July and early August is when we see more silver. Oscoda seems to be producing better trout and salmon action right now. We did have a bump in kings earlier in the summer that kept things interesting for a few weeks. Atlantics seem to be MIA this year at least around here.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 · (Edited)
Andyotto that looks more like a report from lake Erie.
Is the walleye population in lake Huron on a sharp incline or have I just not been paying much attention to Huron walleye since I live 10 mins from Erie? 😂
We get this every year when the mayfly’s start going strong. Last nights sonar looked pretty spectacular though. Looked kinda like fireworks coming off the bottom as soon as that sun hit the horizon. Now we’ve got a blow day or two. Have to see what the wind does to them. I’ve got some food plots to prep anyway.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Shoe Food Fish Line Seafood
Water Sky Boat Smile Watercraft

East side guy for the weekend, out with my pops and his buddy
Port Austin
Was a bit blowy at 6 so waited to get out till 8
Currently 2-3
Nice laker on a mag dipsey back 180 with a laker taker
Walleye Walter on a 7 color with greasy chicken wing
90-100 fow

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
What is the bait situation, or what does it seem to be, in Huron this year? Gobies? Smelt? Alewives?

Lk Michigan seems to have reports of strong alewife population. Anecdotal of course, but...

@andyotto have you noticed anything different about the baitfish this year?

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
What is the bait situation, or what does it seem to be, in Huron this year? Gobies? Smelt? Alewives?

Lk Michigan seems to have reports of strong alewife population. Anecdotal of course, but...

@andyotto have you noticed anything different about the baitfish this year?
Marking good bait recently. Sticklebacks, smelt and the last trip tiny perch. It’s funny though that walleye generally have empty stomachs while other fish regularly are full. I’ve heard the same from others over the years.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Planning on hitting Port Sanilac tomorrow. Question for some of the more experienced anglers of the East. What will these NE blows do with the fishing situation? Would that push cold water in towards shore? Will it scatter fish?

581 - 600 of 953 Posts