Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
521 - 540 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
sounds about right. take a 90degree compass heading straight out, you will come first to a 30 foot hole. than the drop off.
head south east and would run out to Yankee reef and be by ourself. with salmon jumping around us.
last time I fish Oscoda the pack of boats would be on the drop off. it would extend several miles long and a mile wide.
lots of cannon balls have been lost on that edge.
But now I have aged myself.
I have wondered if I could pull the old lake trout gear out and the hot n tots and do any good fishing the old ways.
caught a fee Lakers each year over 20 lbs

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
How far is yankee reef?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
936 Posts
Had my two sons out and a buddy home from California. Pretty buggy morning today, calm water. Saw a few fish picking off mayflies. Marked lots but struggled getting em to bite, seems to be the story for us this year. We started in 60 and fished that for an hour then pulled em and ran out deep. Managed 2/3 after the move, walleye was on green hulk 5 color. Steelhead was on slide diver and blue ice spoon out 160. Had a laker hit on rigger down 80 in 90’ water, yes we were getting desperate…lol, but lost him. A couple really nice CO’s out of Alcona pulled up next to us as my son was surfing the walleye in.
Water Sky Sunglasses Boat Watercraft
Water Shorts Boat Vertebrate Sky

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
Started out with a bang in 55-60 fow. Had 4 fish after about 45 minutes with an 8 color eye, a 5 color steelhead and a king and another steelhead on a 130 slide diver. Then it just died. Moved out to deeper water. Only one walleye on a magic man ten color after that. Super buggy with a pretty decent mayfly hatch on top of the midges and the ankle biting flys. As mentioned we too saw a hand full of fish picking bugs at the surface. Marked lots of fish and bait up and down the water column both in packs and individuals. Speed was mid to upper twos. Best color was probably a Carmel Dolphin on that slide diver. My boat is having technical difficulties so I really appreciate Ed giving me a ride. As always an enjoyable time.
Water Sky Watercraft Boat Smile
Water Smile Sky Vertebrate Fin
Food Ingredient Seafood Cuisine Fish
Eye Wood Dress Ingredient Recipe

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
Had my two sons out and a buddy home from California. Pretty buggy morning today, calm water. Saw a few fish picking off mayflies. Marked lots but struggled getting em to bite, seems to be the story for us this year. We started in 60 and fished that for an hour then pulled em and ran out deep. Managed 2/3 after the move, walleye was on green hulk 5 color. Steelhead was on slide diver and blue ice spoon out 160. Had a laker hit on rigger down 80 in 90’ water, yes we were getting desperate…lol, but lost him. A couple really nice CO’s out of Alcona pulled up next to us as my son was surfing the walleye in.
View attachment 839138 View attachment 839139
Nice fish guys on a very tough morning!
That was Fishcop on the DNR boat. He stopped by us right after he was with you guys.
Hey guys,, found another use for those fresh Lake Huron lake trout! Arugula salad from my garden topped with grilled lake trout thought I caught Wednesday! Today's lunch! View attachment 839162

Sent from my SM-A326U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Man that looks like a winner. I’m going to have to try that when our garden gets producing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Afternoon all,

I went out with some college friends this morning and managed to put together something fun. Went northeast from the mouth of the au sable to 80 feet and started to setup heading north east but didn’t have much success until we turned south. Took a bit for things to get going but we ended up with a nice atlantic, two coho, a pink, and two steelhead. We tossed back a couple lakers as well. Mag Dipsey divers on setting 2 out 100 did really well for us. Pro king spoon in purple, black, and white took the steelhead as well as orange carbon on 2-3 colors. Flounder pounder took a laker as well as carbon 14 on riggers. I believe the Atlantic hit a warrior Easter egg but it created a real mess so tough to remember lol.

Grass Fish Natural material Cuisine Rectangle

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Afternoon all,

I went out with some college friends this morning and managed to put together something fun. Went northeast from the mouth of the au sable to 80 feet and started to setup heading north east but didn’t have much success until we turned south. Took a bit for things to get going but we ended up with a nice atlantic, two coho, a pink, and two steelhead. We tossed back a couple lakers as well. Mag Dipsey divers on setting 2 out 100 did really well for us. Pro king spoon in purple, black, and white took the steelhead as well as orange carbon on 2-3 colors. Flounder pounder took a laker as well as carbon 14 on riggers. I believe the Atlantic hit a warrior Easter egg but it created a real mess so tough to remember lol.

View attachment 839198
Nicely done! I need to get up there for a change of view.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice fish guys on a very tough morning!
That was Fishcop on the DNR boat. He stopped by us right after he was with you guys.

Man that looks like a winner. I’m going to have to try that when our garden gets producing.
Yeah, those two CO’s were very pleasant to chat with.
Was hard to watch the graph today seeing all the marks and not getting them to go much.
Also, Parker keeps saying we need to get you out with us sometime. Let me know if you want to put something together sometime.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nicely done! I need to get up there for a change of view.
Thank you! It’s been really fun so far up this way. I hope you don’t mind me posting oscoda stuff in here. I tried to be clear that it’s out of the au sable, but I can make a separate thread if you think that’s more appropriate.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
Thank you! It’s been really fun so far up this way. I hope you don’t mind me posting oscoda stuff in here. I tried to be clear that it’s out of the au sable, but I can make a separate thread if you think that’s more appropriate.
Not at all. They’ve kind of melded into one over the last couple years. I’ll post Oscoda reports here too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will be in Oscoda this coming weekend. Fishing Saturday AM thru Monday Am. Hopefully weather cooperates, will post reports each day!
We'll be fishing Oscoda Saturday evening, Sunday, and Monday morning. Thunder Jet Explorer 185. "Ruby" on channel 68.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

521 - 540 of 943 Posts