Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
501 - 520 of 953 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you saying it broke off? Why?
The church tx44 boards come off the shelf with the front clip facing inwards so no matter what it will not release. I might just not be good enough yet to keep them out of the water near the boat with a big fish on so it could easily be user error. That said, I went ahead and flipped them all so they can release like the smaller boards do and so far I haven't had any major issues other than the releases popping occasionally with no one home. I figure with some trial and error I'll find a sweet spot.

These are the releases/clips I'm referring to.

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas Composite material

·
Premium Member
31,687 Posts
I went out last night and was only able to manage 1 laker on 300 copper in like 50 feet of water.

This morning a laker hit a magnum pro king megatron down 70 on rigger in 80 feet of water and then had a coho hit a clown shadow rap :LOL: down 35 and 50 feet behind the ball in about 45 feet of water. Only had about an hour an a half to fish before work though...

All speeds were between 2.2-3.0
Wouldn't a 300 copper be dragging bottom in 50 fow?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wouldn't a 300 copper be dragging bottom in 50 fow?
It would be dragging bottom I’m pretty sure. We usually stick to deep water but got it as we were trolling our way back in. Didn’t pull lines until a bit shallow for the copper but it got the skunk out of the boat lol

I had the break off the other day in 120 feet so bottom wasn't the issue there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Blood run calls it cable mining for trout. I've done it on Huron a couple times and it's very effective! I ran just a spin-n-glo and 5/0 octopus hook behind it right on my leader on (2) 450 coppers. You drag bottom with one off each corner. I think the line dragging kicks up gobys off the bottom and draws the lakers in.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Went out from 8 to 12 this morning
Skunked. Marked a ton of fish threw everything at em nothing. Even I assume Lakers on the bottom hit them on the head with spin and glo nothing
Only went to 70 feet water

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes, guys motor stopped working in Oscoda. Was a NE blow in October. Fire department went out to get him, he wouldn't leave his boat. Coast guard came, still wouldn't abandon ship so they towed him to Tawas. Sat there all winter, bubblers on the dock saved the outside, but water got inside and froze. Dude moved to Florida. Haven't heard if he's going to be on the hook for any of it or not, but it was supposed to be removed in May.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
5 miles give or take.
sounds about right. take a 90degree compass heading straight out, you will come first to a 30 foot hole. than the drop off.
head south east and would run out to Yankee reef and be by ourself. with salmon jumping around us.
last time I fish Oscoda the pack of boats would be on the drop off. it would extend several miles long and a mile wide.
lots of cannon balls have been lost on that edge.
But now I have aged myself.
I have wondered if I could pull the old lake trout gear out and the hot n tots and do any good fishing the old ways.
caught a fee Lakers each year over 20 lbs

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

501 - 520 of 953 Posts