Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
321 - 340 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Man what a fantastic night. Went out solo after school. Ran out to 25 ft and began to work out from there. Hit a nice coho on a slide diver as soon as I put it in a rod holder. Dang fish jumped right out of the net snagging the hook as it raced away to freedom. Hit a brown on a two color in 35 then got a coho into the cooler on a 3 color out in 45. Swung back around and picked up another coho on the 2 color and then another brown on the slide diver. Turned again and all hell broke loose, all three rods fire. 3 more coho two were released. Done by 5:30. Big rollers in a southeast breeze but they were easy to roll over. All fish were on green and black spoons going 2.5-2.7. Crazy how fast fishing can turn on and off this time of year. Fish had a few smelt but mostly were packed with bugs. View attachment 832828
I think you have a steelhead in that mix Andy. Bottom left in the pic

·
Registered
820 Posts
Coming up to the trailer in East Tawas city park tomorrow to fish, the park said the may flies are getting bad anyone out on the water today.Thanks in advance
Pretty windy up here today. I haven't been to town today, but if I had to guess, it isn't a mayfly hatch. Probably midges hatching and they can be terrible on the water in the boat. Typically we see mayflies around mid june and are usually the worst around the 4th of July.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Coming up to the trailer in East Tawas city park tomorrow to fish, the park said the may flies are getting bad anyone out on the water today.Thanks in advance
Midges are starting to get bad but only if it’s flat calm. It’s also supposed to be cloudy so that will help some. Like Tony said mayflies don’t really get going until June or July. We will be out there too in the polar craft. Good luck!

·
Registered
936 Posts
My wife was down by the dock yesterday afternoon and said the midges were really bad. But like Andy said if there’s much of a breeze out in the boat you are usually good. If it’s flat calm you will wish you had a headnet, I keep a couple in the boat for the kids this time of year.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Had to launch from the road end. Was raining pretty good at six, brewed a second cup, and launched closer to 7 AM. North wind was bigger than advertised, paddle out to the point, I battled wind cocking all the way. Hit 20 feet in front of the point and was marking bait. The wind was more than I wanted to fight, especially solo. I turned around and paddled back, listening to the rods sing all the way back to the road end. Saw one boat launch out of Andy’s on the way back in. He had the lake to himself as far as I could see.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Had to launch from the road end. Was raining pretty good at six, brewed a second cup, and launched closer to 7 AM. North wind was bigger than advertised, paddle out to the point, I battled wind cocking all the way. Hit 20 feet in front of the point and was marking bait. The wind was more than I wanted to fight, especially solo. I turned around and paddled back, listening to the rods sing all the way back to the road end. Saw one boat launch out of Andy’s on the way back in. He had the lake to himself as far as I could see.
Thanks for the report on the bait fisheater we are heading out this afternoon. Every little bit helps.

321 - 340 of 915 Posts