Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Those aren’t just coho, those are really nice spring coho! I’ll be up either Saturday or Sunday. I’m hoping for a paddling buddy, and I have another friend interested in the walleye I’ve been catching wading (it’s been pretty windy lately).
Thanks for posting Andy. I’ll be paddling a green solo canoe, with a “Great Pumpkin” drysuit. I don’t mind stopping the paddles to say hello, and that is an invitation to anyone here. Just remember I mostly longline!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
After talking with the CO for Oscoda county Jeff ? - on a trespassing issue I had. I inquired about Tawas fishing.
He told me about Andy's Forum so I joined. After reading reports Saturday night I woke up like 3am Sunday and headed for Tawas 5-15-22. Still dark when I arrived at launch. Hurried and another fisherman waiting on his buddy also named Jeff, helped me with launching boat. Thanks to the Jeff's!
Setup in 50ft of water slightly North of Tawas point. Two dipsey rods set at 75ft and one 60ft. Orange Crush and Blue Dolphin on other side. Ran 150ft of copper out the back with a moonshine wonderbread. Started trolling 6:15ish 2.3mph. Caught 13lb lake trout on copper rod. Set back down 10 minutes later same copper rod went off violent hit before I could grab rod it was gone. Leader broke - not sure if there was nick in the leader from reeling in laker or maybe a huge pike. Trolled another hour and no more hits. Thick fog rolled in for awhile just a blast being out. Thanks Andy for a great Forum and thanks Jeff for the info you shared. Tawas a great fishery and really great people I've met at the launch.
Thanks
Mike
View attachment 832442
View attachment 832442
So you’re the guy that caught a fish in Tawas Sunday. Well done!
Darn didn’t get out to 50 until at least 7 AM, that’s what I get for having a two stroke (paddle)!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Had to launch from the road end. Was raining pretty good at six, brewed a second cup, and launched closer to 7 AM. North wind was bigger than advertised, paddle out to the point, I battled wind cocking all the way. Hit 20 feet in front of the point and was marking bait. The wind was more than I wanted to fight, especially solo. I turned around and paddled back, listening to the rods sing all the way back to the road end. Saw one boat launch out of Andy’s on the way back in. He had the lake to himself as far as I could see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts