Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
We had to stop at Cabelas on our way home from spring break vacation. Their selection of spoons was a little disappointing but we did manage some good carbon ammo. Flickers we’re on sale so had to grab some of those too. Can’t wait to splash the boat! It probably won’t be till May for us. The barn isn’t heated so have to wait for warmer nights.

Font Magenta

·
Registered
936 Posts
Tony and I launched out of the Tawas River this morning. Cold again with snow flakes in the air. Water color was great, brown and green with temps up to 35. Ended up going 2 for 2 with a couple nice eater browns. 1.7-2.0 with black and silver husky jerks caught both fish. Lots of ice still floating up in the bay east of the dock but most of the ice in front of the state launch is gone. Actually saw a pontoon coming out of there.
Tonight’s dinner! View attachment 824909
Way to start the season! Nice looking fish.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Got the kids out for a couple hrs. Checked the ET dock first, threw cleos and flickers with no luck. Water was gin clear there.
Headed over to the TC pier and the water was stained. It’s kinda shallow around most of it but fishable. One of the kids said they had a follow and thought it was a pike. The boulders were packed with minnows.
Talked to Steve the creel guy and he said he hasn’t seen many fish caught. He checked one family last weekend on the ET dock that had a laker. He said one boat did good yesterday for browns.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Street light Tints and shades

·
Registered
936 Posts
These East winds have been relentless haven’t they! After cutting firewood this afternoon I shuffled everything around in the barn and got the boat ready. Chomping at the bit to get the boys out there for some big water fun.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Couldn’t fish today so went and bought new 3 & 7 color rigs on new rods with convectors. While I was at it I figured I better get some new ugly stick downrigger rods with convectors too. Oh and some carbon 14’s and green hulks. I think I got Father’s Day and Mother’s Day mixed up…lol.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I could also go for a few more convectors. Last time I went shopping I dropped over $600, its just too easy to grab a handful of rods and a basket of reels and lures.
Definitely sticker shock went it all rang up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Friday evening shakedown trip for us drew a blank. Everything functioned as it should and kids still had fun, just couldn’t buy a bite. Fished 20-50’ and everything in between. 2 thru 5 cores and SW’s. Speed 2.5 sog.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like it was tough for a lot of guys. Had to get in early this morning to go to a funeral for a coworker that’s a year younger than me. Everyday out there is a beautiful day whether you’re catching or not. Today was especially beautiful! View attachment 831964
Agree 100%

Water Boat Watercraft Sky Cloud

·
Registered
936 Posts
My wife was down by the dock yesterday afternoon and said the midges were really bad. But like Andy said if there’s much of a breeze out in the boat you are usually good. If it’s flat calm you will wish you had a headnet, I keep a couple in the boat for the kids this time of year.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Anyone going out, be prepared for it to start being super buggy, especially on those calm days. Big midge hatch between Tawas and Au Gres. Clouds of them above 23.
I love chasing silver, but I think it’s time to take a break and chase gills for a little while….let them midges do their thing and then get back after it.

Reactions: andyotto

·
Registered
936 Posts
Couldn’t make it out till 9:30 this morning, but picked one up right away. 7 color with black/orange over 68’ east of point. Shortly after air temp dropped and fog rolled in. Wind picked up from the east pushing big rollers, didn’t take long for one of my deckhands to start turning green so we called it quits early.
Water Sky Smile Boat Vertebrate

·
Registered
936 Posts

If you have friends that like to fish but get motion sickness I highly recommend bonine, or an off brand that contains it. They make a kids version as well. One of my fishing buddies just can't handle it so he takes some the night before ad morning of and does not get drowsy or sick.

Nice walleyes showing up those are way bigger than what we have seen on the inner bay.
This is the first time we have ever had an issue. It definitely wasn’t the best conditions out there at the time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts