Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Everyone!

First report on first boat! We went out of oscoda this morning at 630. Went northeast out of the mouth and started dropping lines in at 50 feet. Pretty quickly things started hitting and ultimately boated 6 and lost a few more. 2 Coho, a nice steelhead, and 3 lakers. Riggers near bottom, mag dipseys, and 7 and 10 color lead. Trolled out to 100 and then back again into 50 on the same course. Thank you to everyone who posts here, it helped us put together a great first day on the big lake.

Here are the spoons that worked

Sports equipment Automotive design Bumper Skateboard Automotive exterior

Hopefully more reports to come!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats! Nice job and thanks for the great report. So you mean literally the first time out on Lake Huron with a new boat for the first time also?

Yes sir. Tracker Targa v18, picked it up on Friday from Linnwood.
Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I meant it when I said thank you to everyone here lol! I live around the Oscoda area so I am hoping to get out often. Hell of a way to break in a kicker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you so much everyone for the nice comments.

Went out of Oscoda tonight and this time headed out of river southeast until 50 feet of water and worked our way out to 80. Picked up 4 good size lakers (3 of them came on full core with a carbon 14 and 1 on a rigger near bottom on an orange carbon) and a small coho on a stripetastic moonshine on a 2 color.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Afternoon!

Went out of Oscoda this morning and setup in 70 working our way northeast to 130. Ended up with 3 lakers, a coho, pink, and a nice steelhead. Green spoons like flounder pounder took lakers/the pink and Moonshine RV Pox on 5 color took the coho and steelhead.

Here is my buddy with the catch of the day.

Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses

Hope everyone got their catching in before that wind kicked up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads.

My dad and I got out for Father’s Day and did pretty well after going back in from 80’ to get leader. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Ended up with 2 lakers, a coho, and a steelhead once we got set back up. Didn’t have much action until we got to 90 feet heading northeast out of the mouth of the river. Lost something large and angry along with a full core/carbon 14 when my tx44 got dragged under 🙃 can’t win em all!

Lakers came on 10 color with magnum silver carbon and the steelhead / coho came on green jeans / orange carbon on 2 and 3 colors. Speed was 2.7

The steelhead was full of like 25 junebugs (When I google them melolonthinae comes up, but i've always heard them called june bugs.)
Coho had tough to make out baitfish...

Food Seafood Grey Fish Fish products

Anybody know what’s up with the steelheads left pectoral fin? Head is in my freezer if anyone thinks it's worth submitting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went out last night and was only able to manage 1 laker on 300 copper with green jeans in like 50 feet of water.

This morning a laker hit a magnum pro king megatron down 70 on rigger in 80 feet of water and then had a coho hit a clown shadow rap :LOL: down 35 and 50 feet behind the ball in about 45 feet of water. Only had about an hour an a half to fish before work though...

All speeds were between 2.2-3.0

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you saying it broke off? Why?
The church tx44 boards come off the shelf with the front clip facing inwards so no matter what it will not release. I might just not be good enough yet to keep them out of the water near the boat with a big fish on so it could easily be user error. That said, I went ahead and flipped them all so they can release like the smaller boards do and so far I haven't had any major issues other than the releases popping occasionally with no one home. I figure with some trial and error I'll find a sweet spot.

These are the releases/clips I'm referring to.

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas Composite material

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wouldn't a 300 copper be dragging bottom in 50 fow?
It would be dragging bottom I’m pretty sure. We usually stick to deep water but got it as we were trolling our way back in. Didn’t pull lines until a bit shallow for the copper but it got the skunk out of the boat lol

I had the break off the other day in 120 feet so bottom wasn't the issue there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Afternoon all,

I went out with some college friends this morning and managed to put together something fun. Went northeast from the mouth of the au sable to 80 feet and started to setup heading north east but didn’t have much success until we turned south. Took a bit for things to get going but we ended up with a nice atlantic, two coho, a pink, and two steelhead. We tossed back a couple lakers as well. Mag Dipsey divers on setting 2 out 100 did really well for us. Pro king spoon in purple, black, and white took the steelhead as well as orange carbon on 2-3 colors. Flounder pounder took a laker as well as carbon 14 on riggers. I believe the Atlantic hit a warrior Easter egg but it created a real mess so tough to remember lol.

Grass Fish Natural material Cuisine Rectangle

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nicely done! I need to get up there for a change of view.
Thank you! It’s been really fun so far up this way. I hope you don’t mind me posting oscoda stuff in here. I tried to be clear that it’s out of the au sable, but I can make a separate thread if you think that’s more appropriate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey everyone,

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. It was awesome to see so many boats around.

My buddy and I did well out of Oscoda Friday night to Monday starting at 80-130 feet of water on 7-10 colors of lead, riggers, and a slide diver with moonshine spoons like orange carbon, blue jeans, green jeans, some wonderbread variations, and carbon 14. Lakers have been pretty consistent running things like RV flounder pounder close to bottom on riggers/divers. Overall we managed a few lakers, 2 walleye, 2 steel, an atlantic, a coho, a king, and a pink. I have been getting almost all my fish in the morning and have yet to figure out any consistency in the evening. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any tips for replacing a line counter spring on a big jon downrigger that would be swell.... 😵

One last thing... be careful of the nets south east out of the river off Au sable point they are around this area....

Map Font Electric blue Screenshot Parallel

I'll take a picture of my graph and replace this one with the exact spot when I'm back on the boat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Big Jon's website has them in a couple different sizes. Their customer support by phone is excellent. Sometimes you have to wait for him to call you back but they are definitely very helpful. Changing it is pretty straightforward just be careful not to stretch the new one putting it on. I use a small screwdriver to just help it slip onto the upper pulley. Good luck.

That's my recommendation. Thanks for the report and glad you're doing well.
I really appreciate the help. I didn’t even think about the possibility of different size springs… I’m definitely going to give them a call and confirm which one to get. Screwdriver sounds like a great idea.. beats trying to stretch it. Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Evening everyone,

Did pretty well this weekend out of Oscoda.. started out Friday night with a nice acrobat of a steelhead on an RV Bloody Nose 10 color in 60 feet. Saturday morning got up but didn’t like the look of the waves so waited until the evening.. ended up getting a tanker Atlantic on wonderbread full core, a walleye on a rigger slider stripetastic, and had some good board hits all in the 80-100 feet range going north east out of the mouth. Sunday we got out in the morning and picked up a coho, another Atlantic, and a laker on orange carbon and an rv burned bread.

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Smile

Sky Water Cloud Watercraft Boat

Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Fin
Hope you all had fun and were able to get on to them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey everyone,

Slow weekend for us out of Oscoda, barely beat back the skunk each day with a walleye + last minute silver. Water temps were warm so had to go searching deep. Green jeans, uv pox, and mag wonderbread took fish. I did catch a juvenile king on Sunday which is pretty exciting to see.

Food Fish Seafood Fin Rectangle

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts