Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1319 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
35-50 back. Free sliders get a lot of the hits but main line holds its own some days. I like 12lb cannonballs. I think anything less has too much blowback to be effective. Hope this helps. Also since using chamberlain releases on Andy’s boat once I have since got rid of all my pad releases and hook ups are way better for me.
Thank you. I run 10lb pancakes with the fins. Not too much BB but surely a little. I get a good view of their depth off the graph and that's a good thing considering that my old Big Jon riggers have counters that are highly questionable. I've been running 30' back off the ball but I think we'll extend that this AM. I use the rubber band method off my Black's releases and they hook up nicely as far as I know.

@ausable holler for Freyja on 68 if you're out there. We'll be hitting it hard all morning and then again in the afternoon/evening and we can compare notes. I'll share any intel I can with you. Its our last day up here in Tawas and then there's nothing left but maybe a trip or two out of Lexington/Sanilac this fall and bowhunting.

Good luck to all and thanks as well for all the help.

E.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,202 ·
Question for you guys, I have been struggling to get anything going on the riggers, how far do you guys run behind ball?
Will anybody be out tomorrow am weather looks good?
Sliders have been outpacing mainlines by quite a bit the last several weeks. We bring the mainlines up run them tight not much action. Run the mains way back again not much action. Drop them down and the sliders get hit. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,203 ·
We'll be out again in the AM. We've also been struggling. Andy makes it seem so easy, haha. We're learning a lot and having fun though. Good luck to you @ausable
It was easy a couple weeks ago lol. Not now. Frustrating seeing all that bait and fish without taking many hits. I just think the bite window is really small right now. Ed and I will be out there this evening too. If you get a chance post a report from the morning if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Finally something to report. Got out early this morning and set up in 65 FOW and ran SW towards Alabaster into the waves that were building (surprised us). Lots of bait and marks and nothing until we turned back downwind and had a knock off then a small steelhead followed by another larger one. All hits came on Moonshine Orange Carbon off a rigger about 55 feet down. Speed was hard to hold but mostly around 3.2 mph off the GPS. Ended the morning 2/3. Happy that we boxed those considering the other reports. Much thanks to Andy and others here that have really helped me dial it in. Going back out tonight before we pack up and head home tomorrow AM

Food Fluid Ingredient Seafood Fish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry for the late report but had to head back south after fishing. Fished from 7:00-11:30. 62 to 70 ft water pretty much straight out of Tawas. 3 for 4, 1 Steelhead and 2 nice Walleyes. All on 10 color Black Moonshine Spoons. Would of probably done better but was dragging both walleyes for who knows how long. Need to do a better job reading those boards. White Wale it was great meeting you at the launch. Thanks for the tips and the Fish ID lesson. I want to thank Andy and all other posters who helped this Rookie boat a few fish this year. Next years goal is to learn how to use Dipsies. If anybody needs any tips fishing Lake Saint Clair let me know I certainly owe you all.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Sounds like there was a lot of that going around. We went 0/0. Beautiful evening and like you said, Andy, tons of bait and marks. It was a great week for us in Tawas and we will be back next year for sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got out with Rippen Lip this morning. 4-7 on silver,4-4 on eyes. lost a giant steel on a rigger down 48, lost a big silver on a slider on that same rod, lost the other silver on a wire slide diver out 130' (down 55 ish) 7 color, 10 color, 250 copper ,rigger were busy rods. 8 color never took a hit. Had a 5 color out for a while it was also quite. Speed at probe was 3.2-3.5. No bites slower. Even took a walleye on an outside turn at that speed. Black moonshine rv spoons were all they touched. Nothing on green jeans or orange today.
62-64' fow south twords Whitestone point. Walleye were primarily north twords tawas.
Freezer and families freezers are full of steel for the winter. Time to move back south into the bay for a while and hunt those walleyes. Man August was awesome to me up in tawas.
View attachment 786638 View attachment 786639 View attachment 786640 View attachment 786641 View attachment 786642 View attachment 786643

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
View attachment 786653
Great report on the fisherman’s digest hot bite report!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing with all of us not only here on m.s but across the entire region. I think John is very proud to have you on his team and in his old boat. These type things are great for Hurons future!!!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,212 ·
Great report on the fisherman’s digest hot bite report!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing with all of us not only here on m.s but across the entire region. I think John is very proud to have you on his team and in his old boat. These type things are great for Hurons future!!!
Yes I saw that a week or so ago. Great report from Nick but the host needs to stop referring Nick's steelhead as lake trout. I don't think there is a laker within ten miles of Tawas right now. LOL

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes I saw that a week or so ago. Great report from Nick but the host needs to stop referring Nick's steelhead as lake trout. I don't think there is a laker within ten miles of Tawas right now. LOL
Lol. He had another report this week from me that included steelhead

Watch "Saginaw Bay Fishing Reports, Ontario Fish Camps, & More!!! - Hot Bite Fishing Report - Sep 15th" on YouTube

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
We just got back from our first Tawas trip and after a few days of reading weather reports and Apps I can say that you should be prepared to be surprised. Seems like it got bumpy real fast if the wind had any North or East component to it. Does seem to lay back down quickly though after settling down or changing back West.

Carbon 14 Orange was hot for us. Morning bite was best for us too and I mean early morning. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
30,305 Posts
We just got back from our first Tawas trip and after a few days of reading weather reports and Apps I can say that you should be prepared to be surprised. Seems like it got bumpy real fast if the wind had any North or East component to it. Does seem to lay back down quickly though after settling down or changing back West.

Carbon 14 Orange was hot for us. Morning bite was best for us too and I mean early morning. Good luck to you!
Sounds like you got some fish? Any type of report on type of fish or depth of water?

1201 - 1220 of 1319 Posts