Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched to feeding Taste of the Wild (Prairie) & it seems to me I'm shoveling a lot more stool. Has anyone else experienced this? I was feeding Acana before switching. I friend told me he quit feeding Taste of the Wild because he felt it generated more stool. The food rating sites rate Taste of the Wild (Prairie) very high & it's a grain free food.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Your dog isn't processing the food if she is producing more stool. Not an expert but in my experience thats not good. Maybe she isn't used to it yet, wait a while longer and see if things change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I switched my dog over to Earthborn Holistic with bison meal grain free from Iams lamb and rice due to him having food allergies. I noticed bigger stool switching over to the grain free as well. I am in the process of switching over to taste of the wild Pacific stream canine formula because the Earthborn had egg in it which I later found he is allergic to. I'm interested to see what the results are. Like the above poster said, maybe it has something to do with not being able to process the food as much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
575 Posts
I noticed quite the opposite....quanity fed is less and stools are tighter and smaller.
Dogs coat, health, endurance good.
Benn feeding it for nearly 3 years.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have had good luck feeding my setter Taste of the Wild Prairie formula. I chose it based on its protein and fat ratios along with being grain free. He's lean but well muscled and has small stools.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a while longer. If you've experienced the opposite, then it may just take more time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If/when I fed him the recommended amounts during the off season, gains weight in a hurry.
Off season I feed him a little over a 1/2 cup in the morning and a little under a1/2 cup in the evening.
He is healthy and keeps a good weight.

Hunting season I feed him all he wants, he is not a pig around food and self regulates.......others I've owned I could not do this with as they would eat until the would explode.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a gsp that the breeder strongly pushed purina performance and my dog seemed like he just wanted no part of it after a while....eventually I got him on taste of the wild pacific with salmon and have stuck with it ever since...he's super picky not a big eater and he loves this stuff

·
Registered
718 Posts
my 3 year old lab has been on taste of the wild his hole life. we rotate through all the flavors with him and the beagle. they always look good and poop is not exsesive. the beagle took a little time to get used to the better food when we got him.

dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts