Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usally hang out in the duck hunting forum but starting to get back into deer hunting with my bow. I have hunted with by bow for years and always had trouble with target panic. Seems like if I'm not going to shoot my bow I can hold on target with no problem but when I'm shooting I always hang about 6" above target and have a hard time getting on target and sometimes flinch after the shoot to get it down. Is there a simple fix for this or is this a bad habbit that i created for myself? Don't get me wrong I am a good shot and can get good groups with my bow but it seams If I get rid of this problem I would be that much better

Any help,

CDUB

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I am sure there are a lot smarter guys than me that will be able to offer some help, but this is one thing that worked for me when I was starting out. I find that shooting a bow is more muscle memory than anything. So to get good form and be consistent I would shoot with my eyes closed. Get close to a target and really concentrate on form and the feel of the bow. If you are not thinking about hitting a spot you can really get into it. Then when you go back to shooting at spots try to relax and don't try to hold the pin steady on the spot let it float and use your memory skills to release the arrow. Although I have never used one I hear guys say that back tension release also helps, becuase you have to use your back muscles to get the release to shoot so you cannot punch the trigger. Hope this is of some help and wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Usally hang out in the duck hunting forum but starting to get back into deer hunting with my bow. I have hunted with by bow for years and always had trouble with target panic. Seems like if I'm not going to shoot my bow I can hold on target with no problem but when I'm shooting I always hang about 6" above target and have a hard time getting on target and sometimes flinch after the shoot to get it down. Is there a simple fix for this or is this a bad habbit that i created for myself? Don't get me wrong I am a good shot and can get good groups with my bow but it seams If I get rid of this problem I would be that much better

Any help,

CDUB

I have the exact same problem. When I try to explain it to others they say just put the pin on the target. They don't understand. It is an anxiety or something.

Here are some of the things I try when practicing:

1. When I can get the pin over the target I count out loud to 4 before releasing.

2. Shoot one arrow. If you have to walk to the target after each shot you will be more likely to concentrate on the pin placement.

3. Shoot only one arrow one time each practice session. Just like a hunting situation the first arrow is the only one that counts.

4. With an arrow nocked practice drawing, placing the pin on the target and then slowly undrawing the bow without releasing. Do this several times before each shot.

Let me know if this works for you or if you come up with something that may help me.

(your the first person I have heard from with the same problem)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the exact same problem. When I try to explain it to others they say just put the pin on the target. They don't understand. It is an anxiety or something.

Here are some of the things I try when practicing:

1. When I can get the pin over the target I count out loud to 4 before releasing.

2. Shoot one arrow. If you have to walk to the target after each shot you will be more likely to concentrate on the pin placement.

3. Shoot only one arrow one time each practice session. Just like a hunting situation the first arrow is the only one that counts.

4. With an arrow nocked practice drawing, placing the pin on the target and then slowly undrawing the bow without releasing. Do this several times before each shot.

Let me know if this works for you or if you come up with something that may help me.

(your the first person I have heard from with the same problem)

Good,I thought I had something wrong with my brain. I do only shoot one arrow at a time and it does help but what I have started to do is pull back arrow, get on target and then not shoot. Then the next time pull back get on target like I not going to shoot but then fire when on target. I have been shooting really good that way but when I'm in the field shooting at a deer I forget all that. I wish I could just turn a switch in my brain to fix problem but I guess its just going to take a lot of practice.

CDUB

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Try going from down,up to the target. I used to have a terrible habit of holding over the target, struggling to get my pin down on the bull. Droppin my arm as I shot(two bad habits rolled into one target panic and arm dropping).Now I draw, get my anchor, and slowly but steady raise my bow arm till I'm in the zone, squeeze the shoulder blades together a little bit as I lock the pin on target then ever so gently squeeze the trigger. It sounds like a lot but really you can do it in one smooth motion.

Hope that might help you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just shot a round and the counting to 1,2,3,4 helped when I waited and shot on 4. For some reason its a jerk reaction to shot on 1. If I can get to 4 I shoot a bulls eye every time. I'll probably be the only one that will have to count in my tree stand when shooting at a deer. Well what ever works right....:dizzy:

CDUB

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'll probably be the only one that will have to count in my tree stand when shooting at a deer. :dizzy:

CDUB
Not the only one!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had the same problem. What I found is that my release was set with a very high trigger weight. Needing to use that much force to pull the trigger was causing me to flinch. My release has a simple set screw to adjust the wieght. That was an immediate fix.

You might also think about cranking down the poundage on you bow until you have the problem fixed. That will help you steady your shot and feel more comfortable. Good Luck --Overdraw

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, I do the same little flinch sometimes and it p***es me off. It's not everytime, but when I do it, i pull the bow left and kinda close my eyes. I think it's just mental and probably came from getting snapped in the face by the rubber band that aligns the peep when I first started hunting 15 years ago. I shoot a round peep now, but still have that dang habit. Let me know if someone figures out a good way to stop it.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Target panic is relatively common and isn't ever an "easy overnight fix" unfortunately.

A brief overview of what it is...

As we start out with a release we get the pin into the bull and pull the trigger.
This gets us to be a pretty good shot and some are better than others but at some point the anxiety of missing starts to take over or we try to focus on getting more accurate and than the problems start.

We've conditioned our release hand to "fire" when the pin hits the bull...you exemplified this perfectly with this comment
For some reason its a jerk reaction to shot on 1. If I can get to 4 I shoot a bulls eye every time.
We've become what we call a "drive by shooter"...pin floats and floats and floats and than we swing it through the bull and QUICK FIRE WHILE THE PIN IS IN THE BULL!

What's more is that it's not even conscious...and it perplexes us.

A few things to make it better, some have been stated already...

1. Draw and aim hard on the bull...DON'T SHOOT!....hold it for 5 seconds and let down. Do that every other shot for a while. You need to tell your subconscious "it's ok to be in the bull and NOT fire right away"

2. Make the act of releasing or firing the trigger a PROCESS not a single action. Develop a shot sequence you mentally recite as you shoot. More importantly make sure the firing of the trigger is NOT the end of the sequence. It can be as silly as touching your nose with the release after the shot but make sure something is after the actual release and that you do it every single time.

If the act of releasing is the end of the sequence....you start to anticipate it and your back in the same boat as before. For instance, I touch my release hand to my shoulder.

Example of a shot sequence...
Nock arrow
Release attached
Acquire target and focus...
Draw (with focus still on target)
Jaw anchor
Peep
Aim
Aim
Aim
start the shot
Aim
Aim
(shot goes off)
Follow through
Release on the ear
End

Notice there is no "Fire", "Release" or "Shoot" in there anywhere;)
Make the firing of the trigger a slow pull making it a process not an action...and practice it at point blank range with your eyes closed not aiming at all. Only focus of the release...it's called "Blind bale" shooting.

Your mind can't think of 2 things at once...try it:lol:

If your thinking "Shoot!" or "Fire"....you aint aiming;)

So making the "fire" a process committed to muscle memory allows you to think "Start to fire" or whatever and return your focus to aiming...the shot will happen without you and subconsciously if your doing it right. In fact it may downright surprise you and that's kinda what you want.

I've struggled with bouts of it but when I get serious I blind bale before every session for 3-4 arrows to "reset" the muscle memory of how a good shot feels.

Sorry so long but even this is a short version...it's a complicated thing.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Over the last few years I have suffered target panic so bad that I chose not to bow hunt this year for the first time in over 30 years. I used to to be a pretty good shot with lesser equipment than I use now. No release, no peep, no string loop etc..., and even shot stick bows for a long time. In April of this year I said that is it and haven't picked up my bow since.
I will start new after the first of the year with some of these tips, and possibly some proffesional help. It has been that bad for me and it is all mental.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the post. I have started using some of these and I am starting to shoot better. The main thing is being able to hold on target with out the reaction to shoot when the pin hits the bull. I just hope I remember all these things when in the field.

CDUB

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I also have this problem!! im getting better at it this year though. i think its a mental thing i have to start out below where i want to hit and slowly raise the pin up and as soon as its at or very near bulleye i have to release. im tring now harder than ever to hold on target before release. the guy i shoot with says i just have a retardation problem.:lol:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was watching Bow Hunter Mag. TV and there was a piece on this subject. I tried this on a buddy who was having the same peoblem and it worked. Dead on Bullzeyes..

While at full draw (and aiming at the target) with you finger off of the trigger, have a buddy next to you with his finger near/on the trigger. He triggers your release without you knowing when. Do this a few times a day. It seems to cute target panic.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have to forward this post to my brother. He gives me hell every single time I flinch. He tells me that it's Gulf War Syndrome, I tell him he's full of ****.

It takes me about two weeks of constant shooting before I can get rid of the flinch. I start by raising the pin to the vitals with my finger behind the trigger release. Once the pin gets to the vitals I'll put my finger in front of the trigger and let 'er rip. after a couple weeks of shooting like that, I can comfortably put my finger in front of the trigger from the start; w/o the "Gulf War Flinch"

Good Luck and please don't give up on your bow hunting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While at full draw (and aiming at the target) with you finger off of the trigger, have a buddy next to you with his finger near/on the trigger. He triggers your release without you knowing when. Do this a few times a day. It seems to cute target panic.[/quote]

Just hope your close to the target when he fires. My friends would pull the trigger and I'd probably shoot my house:lol:

CDUB

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
While at full draw (and aiming at the target) with you finger off of the trigger, have a buddy next to you with his finger near/on the trigger. He triggers your release without you knowing when. Do this a few times a day. It seems to cute target panic.

CDUB[/quote]

This sounds great but I shoot with fingers. :banghead3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts