Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the paper today and apparently the DNR has posted a report of walleyes being infested with adult tapeworms. Aeras affected are on the east side of the state with the Detroit river being one area among others. Cooking the fish will kill the parasite. Darn no more walleye sushi for me.:lol: I'm just curious if this is just aother example of invasive forein species or a natural occurance.:confused: :rant:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well I have cleaned tons of walleyes this spring, and I have not seen any worms in the meat or organs, if they were infested I would think it would be visable. I dont think it is widespread, i think if you had a fish that had them, you would know. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I found a tapeworm in the bottom of my cooler last weekend.
When I stretched it out it was about 24 inches long.
They are always found in the digestive tract and are very common.
You usually need to cut open the tract to spot them or while in the cooler they will come out the anus.
I've been finding them in my walleye for the past 20 years.
Most people don't notice them because the look like part of the innards.
But if you stretch it out you will see it move and it is a living creature.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
We have found both them and round worms in the walleyes and perch for years. The eggs are in the intestines and come out the butt so as far as sushi goes don't eat the guts or butt LOL.

Catch Fillet and eat np.

Skinner

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i find them quite a bit i leave my walleye in the live well half filled with ice overnight to kill them usually theses worms are on the bottom of the well in all different sizes.At first i though they just the the daylights punded out of them from running to the ramp.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Walleye caught in waters on the east side of the state are showing up with long white worms inside the body cavity. The DNR has confirmed that the worms are actually an adult tape worm. The fish are still safe to eat when normal cooking procedures are followed. These fish have been caught in the Detroit River, Saginaw River, Saginaw Bay, Tittabawassee River, Tawas River and the Pine River. The Fisheries Division continues to investigate this new infestation to determine the species and life cycle of the parasite and why they are suddenly showing up in walleye.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I caught a walleye this weekend with 3 long white thing hanging out of it's anal opening I thought it was its guts they were about 9-10 inch long and thin this was on saginaw bay I got this fish.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Doesnt this mean the walleye now have to eat more, My grandma would always accuse me of having a tapeworm cuz i ate so much, i think its a win win for everybody involved.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had some in the bottom of my cooler last week. At least that's what I think they were. Caught them out of Saginaw Bay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No tapeworms yet, but one of the walleyes liver looked like someone pelted it with a shotgun. A sign of VHS maybe?

·
Registered
647 Posts
mikey said:
I think that was a sign of a dull filet knife!:)
Not likely, my fillet knife never touched the liver. The liver had bloody holes through it everywhere. It caught my attention.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
caught two like that in the same night ?one was what looked like in the early stages as it had a 40 grit sand paper appearance the other had about 1/4 inch bleeding pertrusions.pretty gross.

·
Registered
919 Posts
bigair said:
Not likely, my fillet knife never touched the liver. The liver had bloody holes through it everywhere. It caught my attention.
I was just joking with you. It's what my buddy said to me when he saw me cut open everything on the fish to find the stomach. Looked like a 'hacked' job because I poked at every organ in the fish!
Going back to this thread, I do remember seeing something like swiss-cheesed liver on a couple of walleyes last year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts