Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
35,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've come under fire by some email for my recent expose on Johnson's Creek. More specifically for showing a trout which obviously went into my creel and went home with me. This trout had been seriously wounded and in most likelyhood would not have survived. I've been told that I am publicizing some resources too much. This comes after Johnson's creek was the subject of a rather large article in The Detroit News (the last time I checked my hits were no-where near their circulation numbers).

I am a member of TU and believe in catch and release fishing, but having said that I do not think it is wrong to occasionally take home a meal. After all isn't that why we started fishing in the first place? I would like nothing better than to see some more resources like Johnson's creek be set aside as flies only, catch and release only waters, unfortunately the state is limited by law as to how many miles of streams can be designated as such. I do not think my article and the corresponding log page was irresponsible. I did not name a specific place where the fish was caught on the creek. I would love to see and take place in and publicize any stream improvement/reclaimation projects for Johnson's creek.

Maybe I should eliminate the logs section, and the different streams sections in the forums all together. We could then just all say I caught a nice trout on an Adams somewhere in MI. That way no stream or river would recieve over-exposure. The Steelhead site and others have not yet gone to this extreme. Should we? I'm interested in your opinions on this topic.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Steve:

I agree that your article was ok. The local fishermen (and women) could have found out about the creek from the local fly shop or bait shop before your article. (If I really want to find a new fishing place I sometimes call the DNR or check with the local fly or tackle shops.)For most of us (including myself) that is a bit farther than we want to drive when we could fish closer to home.

I would think that if anything the added publicity would help the creek by gaining more supporters to protect it since we read that it needs to be protected.

Also with a creek that size I wouldn't expect a whole lot of fish and those looking for a "meat fest" would probably try elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Relax. Don't over-react to an over-reaction. Your site appeals to the "Michigan Sportsman". We all have a common interest. I really don't think that we're being visited by any knuckleheads that'll overfish a particular spot, because of a log your keeping. Bumping into the occasional idiot while fishing, I could understand why someone would be concerned, but I think that your site has a following that is a bit more conscious of how our actions affect our greatest resource.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Sorry that your getting some slack, but I don't think that it will stop just by cutting out on the reports. Theres always going to be someone that isn't happy no matter what. Look at Tom Huggler, or the one we all like to criticize, Fred Trost. I'll bet those guys get alot of "fan mail".

------------------
Phish

G

·
Steve,
It's funny that you posted about this. I am presently reading 'Standing in a River Waving a Stick' by John Gierach and just finished chapter 16, The Right Thing, and it covers just the situation you are in.
He say's it is almost a no-win situation. Tell too much and they are all over you, don't tell enough and they are still all over you.
I once mentioned a certain C&R lake on this board which the D.N.R. told me has suffered the loss of most of its large fish since it went off of special reg's in January of 2000. 6 lousy months to make a great fishery a marginal one! Though I did not mention the name of the lake on this board, just the county it was in. A fellow poster gave us the lakes first initial. People may have added 2+2 and now that lake is quickly becoming just another dinky bluegill factory. Was our posts the cause of this lakes new-found popularity? I dunno! We didn't help though.
The safe bet might just be to err on the side off not enough detail as to where the good fishing is. Though this board may not attract the number of people that an outdoor T.V. program might have, word of mouth travels fast and far.

·
Administrator
35,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But my point was that there were two prior Detroit News articles on the same topic and I never mentioned a specific spot. That stream is some 6-8 miles long.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I am going to be as honest on this subject! I don't like big newspapers, magazines and Tv shows exploiting small trout streams...Period!!!!! First off most of these articles are full of crap! I read several articles on the Rifle river this year that are full of BS! I have fished this river too many times to count over the years so I was shocked and really pissed to hear the stuff published in a certain Michigan Magazine.
1st off they claimed that the Rifle gets an awesome Hex hatch.....FALSE....The Rifle doesn't have a hex hatch because the DNR puts a poison in the river every fourth year to kill Lamphrey, This poison also kills hex nymphs!!!!
2nd they published that the Rifle is one of the best hidden "Dog Days" fishing spots in the state.......FALSE...Well it is a good fishery but the article gave some specific spots on the mainstream that are waaaaaay to warm in the summer for a good summer fishery, at least to the caliber that they were claiming.
3rd they went on to say that there are many many tributaries that hold big fish... might be true but they didn't say that almost all the tribs are surrounded by private making them nearly impossible to access.
You guys get my point!? I don't mind a few posts on a river or even an article once in a while as long as it is full of truths and doesn't over glorify a river!
Steve, Your article was in no way outta line!!! You told about all the creek chubs, and the fact that they just started planting you also said that only one fish was caught. I really doubt you brought flocks of anglers to that river. One last word about keeping trout, it's gonna happen and as long as it is done in moderation I see no problem keeping a few. it makes me sad to see stringers of dead trout being dragged around the stream though!
Sorry about the spelling guys!
~Rick

·
Administrator
35,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WEEZER, thanks for the support. As for stringers of fish I also agree especially on streams with good natural production. This fish was a planter pure and simple. It's a put and take fishery and that's the facts. It could be improved to be more than this but for now...

·
Administrator
35,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I asked this guy what he has doing to help protect the stream himself. Was he a member of TU, or The Johnson Creek Society, etc. And so far all I've heard back is crickets.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I have to agree with Weezer on this one. It is one thing to write an article that is in error, and another that is factual.

I believe we all get a little frustrated when we see an article on a stream, lake or pond that we always thought was some secret, and then see hoards of people on these systems due to an article in a paper, or magazine. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. If we did'nt have these pieces of literature available we wouldn't have the resources to learn our craft, or where is the best places to apply said craft.

In summary, I agree that articles will be written, and that won't stop; as long as they are truthful, and aren't about a system that simply cannot handle the added pressure brought on by these articles, then thats okay.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
First of all is this a county drain and if the answer is yes you might as well kiss the fish goodbye. The drain commisioner will dredge the creek in a few years to make room for progress. If no was the answer I have better places to be than one little creek.
Check out the DNR plants and go fish these streams.
All cold water fisheries are sensitive and all good fisherman should use their jugdement on whether to keep a fish,or not if legal.
Next will we have to not mention the state we caught fish in??? somewhere below 60 I went fishing etc. ????????

[This message has been edited by trout (edited 07-27-2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts