Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: how do you handle taking out newbies?

My fear is, and I had it happen once, that I took someone out and three weeks later I found them fishing with his buddy in his buddie's boat on "my" stretch, where the newbie just happened to have landed a fish on our trip. Uh, thanks. Off the invite list with him.

I know some people just plain won't talk and understand the paranoia, so they can go anywhere with me. Or is it really paranoia or just selfishness. I'd be way behind the curve if people like Stein didn't say "go here and fish here and use this" and then we go there and fish there and use that and hook 6 steelies in 4 hours.

But with people who I know will talk, or I'm trying to teach them how it's done and they have their own boat, what I've been doing is finding new rivers / or new places on the Zoo to try with them. That way we're both learning and they have as much claim to that water after a trip as I do.

I love to get people out and hooked into fish, especially complete rookies or kids that would not usually get the chance. In fact on my boat in 4 years I've landed one and lost one steelie out of the 40 or so we've hooked. But don't want to get burned again.

Anyone else have some good ideas? Thanks. FBD

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We all learned somewhere, most of us by other people showing us where and how to fish, it seems the more experience a guy has the more secretive he is about "his spots" and "his presentation". Most of my fishing buddies are like that and so am I to an extent, and I can't stand it. If your gonna take people out your cheating them if you dont do everything you can to put them on fish and make sure they have a good time. If you do get burned, and sometimes you will, you'll have the experience and knowledge to go find a new spot, while the newbees need to gain experience and get their confidence up before they feel comfortable fishing new waters. This is just the way I look at it, I'm sure most people disagree with me, especially if "my spots" are "their spots". If the numbers of fish you catch are more important then sharing the outdoors with someone who has never experienced it the way you have then maybe we all need to reevaluate why we are so passionate about this sport at all.

This is not directed at FBD or anyone else for that matter, just my thoughts on the subject and the way I see it.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
If you want to truly "teach" them, take them to a stretch of river that you, yourself don't know all that well. Use any skills you have at reading water, identifying holding spots, etc and pass that along to whomever you're teaching. What's the point of taking them to a "secret" honey hole? Steelheading fishing isn't about always "catching" fish--it's a about "learning" how to fish. In order to learn, you have to keep trying to find new spots that hold fish--might as well show a newbie the things you're looking for.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Good replies, I agree with both on certain parts.
I also spend a good part of my fishing season, taking out newbies. I guess I am addicted to helping folks find a new passion. The ones I take also know up front, how I feel about sharing too much location info with them, and then in turn their friends. Most of the time that I take new folks fishing, I won't take them to my favorite, go to spots. Sorry guys!:yikes: I know I said we were going to the honey hole, but we didn't!:p Those are saved for turnament day or days with the family, or crews who already know where they are.
Like TC said, if you really want to help them learn, take the time each trip to try and discover 1 or 2 new spots together, Or take then to a "consistant" spot of yours, let them see what that spot holds and why it does, then ask them where they think another spot like that might be(as you are traveling down the river). We all get to comfortable about going to our best spots first, sometimes it has to be that way on crowded rivers, but there is a certain pride, and accomplishment that can be experienced when a new spot is found, especially with a newbie, than you can say you guys found it together.

Newbie adventures are great, you make new memories, and creat new found bonds with fellow man, often someone you may have only known for a few days or weeks.

Longtime friend adventures hold a special place in my heart too. You get to add memories to the permanant ones already afixed to your mind, often with friends of decades. No babysitting the rookies, doing things for them, trying to make sure thay are always having a good time and are comfortable, just relaxing with best friends, letting them do what they want, and how ever they are used to doing it. No need for political corectness, or watching the language, anything goes, and my sides usually hurt pretty good by the end of those trips. Which ones do I like the best. I don't think either. Because without a dose of one or the other, neither would be a change from the other!

Hahaha, how do you like that lil "spankyism":D

yesterday trip was like the latter, and I will probably never forget the fun I had yesterday!:) :D

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Hey, it happens. It's a hard pill to swallow, but if you really want that person not to come back then you should not take them.

The only part that get's to me, is like you experienced with the lack of invite. I have spots that people showed me that for pretty much 2 years, anytime I was going to be fishing anywhere in that stretch of river, I'd call them to see if they were going, it is just good manners. I've also shown people spots, and a month or so later when fishing the same area with them had them tell me about all the times they've been there since. Again, um, invite?

The really tough part is it sounds like you need a boat to fish that stretch, and I'm assuming your buddy doesn't have one, so in his desperation to get back to that spot, he enlisted a friends help. So what is going to happen next time his buddy is busy? He'll probably seek out someone else with a boat and so the cycle begins.

For the most part, life's to short to worry about "secret spots" being given away. If it concerns you, don't take anyone.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree with TC and spanky, my point, which may have come off to strong, was just don't try to covet your spots and techniques soo much as to have an unproductive day on the water. Exploring and teaching through experience is fine, but its important to put your guest on fish as well. A slow day is a sure way to turn off a lot of kids and even adults. I myself need more experience and teaching before I feel confident enough to take a newbee out to unproven waters.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always quantify my trips as to what to expect with people who have not fished with me more than once or twice. And if they give me any feedback I'll try to arrange to fit into their schedule.

My second trip to the Joe ever, first on my own, my guest had never pulled plugs. He spawn walked the K-zoo a couple times with a buddy but I just told him, hey, I'm fishing a river I don't know and it'll be complete blind squirrel if we stumble into one. He said "I have to be home by one and want to keep anything we catch". That was cool. If he had said "I need fresh fish" then I'd steered him to Meijer's as I don't fish to get meat (except smokers on harbor patrol).

I've actually found some of my "new favorite" spots on learning trips with people who have told me they wanted to take a look at river fishing.

Never thought about the invite thing. I will have to keep that in mind.

So many subtle courtesies I need to learn about the rivers. Still working on the slow down or not thing while passing people.

FBD, Holland, MI

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
FBD, I'll share with you a little bit of wisdom a friend of mine relayed to me in regards to river boating: "You can't make everyone happy, so you analyze the situation, make your move and live with the consequences"

You can't make everyone happy on the river, so choose what you think is the best route for you and the person your passing and move on knowing that even if you do the right thing people will still be mad.

A good example is a spot on the Mo, I don't know if it has a name, but I'm sure quite a few people will know where I'm talking about. It's between Pine and Thornapple, and is still below charmicheal, if comming up river there is a bright orange cabin on the left with a some "fair" gravel on the left shore in front of it. I could get more specific, but will leave it at that. Any who, one spring going up river there was a drift boat parked on the left shore and they were wading along that shore fishing the gravel. To come off plane would mean I'd have to swing over to that side of the river since it is deeper and idle right through their water about 20' from them. Well, from about the middle of the river to the right side shore line it is about a 90' wide and is 1-2' deep. So I stay on plane and skirt the other shore passing probably 150' from where they were fishing. Now mind you, I'm in 1' of water and there is 75' or so of unproductive water between us that is 1-2' deep and is void of fish. But of course they get PO'd.

Another good one is when going up river from High Bridge on the Big M in the fall where there are still salmon around. When going through Sawdust, we usually stay on plane and skirt the right shore line while avoiding that one big stump. About 2/3's of the guys are cursing your name when you go by and about 1/3 are very pleased that you didn't run over there fish. The polite thing to do is skirt the opposite shore, so even though you make the majority mad, you take that route and move on with your life.

Most of the time people are so caught up that you "disrespected them" by not slowing down that they never really see that you did right by them.

You just need to take solice in knowing you did the right thing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've always been of the theory that you share the knowledge but compete on execution. I bass fish, and have always shared any info I have with newbies and old pros alike. In fact, there is a bass club in oakland county that does just that, shares all info from the tournaments. When fishing certain lakes, the winner from the previous tourny gives up all areas and techniques that helped him win. I know it's a stretch to compare this to hunting, as most bass are released, but it can when it comes to the newbie picking out areas for themselves as it helps them to know what a good area may look like. If he's in your area and not hunting "correctly" (quartering, wind direction, cover), he's not going to shoot your birds. Part of competing on execution.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I guess that depends on the watershed. If it is a bigger watershed, like the St. Joe River, I wouldn't worry to much about spots. It won't take long for different steelies to move back into the hole. They will replenish.

On smaller systems like trout creeks - I don't like giving up spots or even the name of my favorite creek. Too easy for a system to get ravaged. If I do take someone out on one of "my creeks" there is an honor system where once you have been taught a spot on a sensative system, you do not introduce others to the spots you have been shown without honoring the person who showed it to you by asking them if it's OK to show another.

Teaching is a blessing to both the teacher and the student. I guess, I'd have to say, be selective in who you teach and where you bring them to school.

IMHO,
Russ

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
I try and respect a persons wishes with regards to rivers and streches. And if I do want to fish a certain strech and the person that showed it to me is unavailable to fish, I will ask if it is ok if I bring another person down. And if I do well in a strech I will go out of my way to thank that person or at least let them know that the fish were biting and it would be a good idea to get your butt out there.

To me that is common courtesy. And I do like to be shown spots, but not nearly as much as I do exploring new water. Some of my favorite spots I stumbled upon, no one else showed them to me. And if someone is forthcoming with information I will always share info with them. I know there are a few members here that have really helped me out.... and I would not hestitate to take any one of them to one of my "honeyholes"

BTW, with reference to boats on plane. I would much rather have a boat go blowing by me on the other side of the river than have to wait 5 minutes as they idle through the hole I am fishing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
quest32a said:
Some of my favorite spots I stumbled upon, no one else showed them to me. And if someone is forthcoming with information I will always share info with them. I know there are a few members here that have really helped me out.... and I would not hestitate to take any one of them to one of my "honeyholes"
I agree, very well said. I had aother paragraph in my reply that I just could not word right so I deleted (being in a hurry). You hit the nail on the head for me with that deleted parapgraph.

Russ

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I guess I feel like if I like someone enough to go fishing with them I don't care if they know where my favorite places are. I'd actually kind of prefer we fish my favorites spots to tell you the truth. Thats why they're my favorite spots to begin with. Because I like to fish there.
Heck some of my favorite spots really aren't that great anyway. In fact some of them the only reason I like them so much is the fact that most other people, for one reason or another, hate them :)
I can honestly say I really don't feel like any of the people I've gone fishing with in the past seem like they are just using me for info. I suppose if I felt that way about someone I wouldn't make a practice of fishing or hanging out with that person.
In the end theres alot of water out there, and if someone I've shared information with visits one of my favorite spots without me being there, it's no different than if it was a complete stranger who found the spot all on his own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts