Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any special paperwork needed to take the boat over the bridge to head over to Wheatley?
Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
They might have you fill out a form, forget what its called. It's no big deal but you do have to pull over and go into customs to do it. Then again they might not, seems to be hit or miss year to year.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
It's an E99 form...

Back in the day, it was needed if you were going to leave the boat in a CA marina or storage.

Last year they said everyone has to have one. No cost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When you go into the Customs office to fill out the form, take your boat registration and trailer registration with you. They will ask you for them.

Bob

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's an E99 form...

Back in the day, it was needed if you were going to leave the boat in a CA marina or storage.

Last year they said everyone has to have one. No cost.
I have been over there 3 times this year and they havent made me get one yet. Last year it took 6 times before they made me get one. I try to get to the bridge at about 5:45am. Just before 6:00am shift change. The Officer has been up all night and usually to tired to do anything more then he has to. It all depends on which Officer you get, I usually get more interrogation in the afternoon.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You only need to fill it out if you are leaving the boat over there. If you are crossing for the day, you do NOT need one.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Thats not what I was told last year at the bridge...

I no there is no way in hell I'm going to get in a pissing match with the border agent about it... I made it 2 trips last year before I had to get one.

Seems to make it easier to cross the next times you go....

Good to know about shift change!

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Rifleman, you're absolutely correct, if you're not leaving the boat in Canada you don't NEED the E99 however, any number of the inspectors will tell you "how do we know you won't' leave it" and require the form anyway. Not a big deal, free and good for 6 months and having one saves time if they ask.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The crazy thing about E-99 form is that the only crosiing I have had to do this form has been Windsor/Detroit. I have taken my boat across at the Soo, and Fort Frances/Internatonal Falls and never was required to complete this form. I can see not doing it at the Fort Frances/Internatonal Falls crossing because there are literally hundreds of boats being towed through there every hour.

One other document I was told you need you get from your auto insurance company. It is called Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. http://www.ccir-ccrra.org/en/pau/Canadian_Non-Resident_Insurance_Cards.pdf. This certifies that you have the proper amount of liability insurance to travel in Canada. I have never been asked for thia but if you stopped by a police officer or involved in an accident you will be asked for this card.
Your insurance company will provide this to you at no cost.

BOB

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rifleman, you're absolutely correct, if you're not leaving the boat in Canada you don't NEED the E99 however, any number of the inspectors will tell you "how do we know you won't' leave it" and require the form anyway. Not a big deal, free and good for 6 months and having one saves time if they ask.

Because they have a record of you towing a boat over, and if you come back without one, you are then in deep *****.

Salmon slammer, we have been asked twice when I go with Slim, and both times we told CPD we were not required to have one if we are trailing the boat back. CBP then told us we were correct, and waived us through with no issue

·
Registered
235 Posts
Always have the following readily available.
1.boat registration
2.trailer registration
3.truck registration
4.truck insurance info.

You have all this at your finger tips and you are less likely to be delayed. If you have to go to the boat to look for the paper work the CBP could make it a miserable trip for you. Always have everything at your finger tips. They. Like this.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The first time I went over the bridge this year I got my E-99. I also was detained 45 minutes because they did a criminal background check and interview on all of us in my truck that morning. (No DUI's or any criminal problems with any of us.) It is getting a to be a big hassle to go over the bridge.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The first time I went over the bridge this year I got my E-99. I also was detained 45 minutes because they did a criminal background check and interview on all of us in my truck that morning. (No DUI's or any criminal problems with any of us.) It is getting a to be a big hassle to go over the bridge.
Apply for a nexus card, it will greatly help with crossing times and interview times at customs as well

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The problem with a nexus card is every one in the boat has to have one to be of any real use. I take different people over and the Canadian boarder is getting tougher to cross as is the US coming back.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The problem with a nexus card is every one in the boat has to have one to be of any real use. I take different people over and the Canadian boarder is getting tougher to cross as is the US coming back.
Yes true. However it does work great if you regularly go with the same people

1 - 15 of 15 Posts