Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions,

First, from those of you that have done this, how much is it? One link below says $25.00 and the other says $50.00. In the end I guess it really doesn't matter, I would just like to know.

In this link it talks about a $25.00 fee for as many unrestricted firearms as you want to bring.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

In this link under the heading of "Declaring your Weapon at the Border" it talks about a $50.00 fee. Note, I do not think the "restricted" sentence in this portion applies

Second question, is this fee per firearm? The way I read it you pay per form and can list more than one firearm per form. People I have talked too though say it is per firearm.

I appreciate any replies.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Remember that's the Canadian license to carry your weapons. But before you leave the US you need to register your weapons if you plan to bring them back!

Dad learned the hard way the first time.

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Limiige is that something you do at the border? I hadn't heard of this before.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Yes we stopped at the us customs first. Walked in and told them what we wanted to do. They sent someone out to record the serial numbers and issue registration.

Dont skip this step!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Two questions,

First, from those of you that have done this, how much is it? One link below says $25.00 and the other says $50.00. In the end I guess it really doesn't matter, I would just like to know.

In this link it talks about a $25.00 fee for as many unrestricted firearms as you want to bring.

In this link under the heading of "Declaring your Weapon at the Border" it talks about a $50.00 fee. Note, I do not think the "restricted" sentence in this portion applies

Second question, is this fee per firearm? The way I read it you pay per form and can list more than one firearm per form. People I have talked too though say it is per firearm.

I appreciate any replies.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Yes we stopped at the us customs first. Walked in and told them what we wanted to do. They sent someone out to record the serial numbers and issue registration.

Dont skip this step!
This must be brand new because I have never done this and have never heard of anyone who has done this. I'll investigate this further since I'll be doing this in August

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Far from new. Its been ten years since I went and probably twenty since they gave my dad the run around about bringing his rifle back. They wanted to confiscate it. US customs can be a pita. Usually getting into Canada is the easy part.

And yes for those who didn't know, no handguns in canada and drinking and driving is more serious over there than here. No alcohol on boats either.

·
Registered
36,011 Posts
Thanks guys. Limiige is that something you do at the border? I hadn't heard of this before.
It also applies to high end optics and camera gear.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
If you baught the firearm used it is a good idea to also have the serial # ran ahead of time.To avoid a sticky situation at the border.In about 1982 my dad traded a shotgun for a rifle at a respectible gun shop.It was Remington 700,7MM Mag.Fastforward to 2005 at the boarder on the US side going to Canada.Sir would you please double check the serial # on your rifle.This # comes up stolen in 1973.The serial # was infact correct.That firearm had passed hands serveral times befor my dad ended up with it.We were delayed about five hours and short one rifle when we finally got out of there.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I have that form for two of my guns. It is supposed to be good forever. I have mine laminated and keep it in the gun case. With that said, when I came back from a bear hunt last year, they (CBP) did not check my weaps. The gal did ask me why I had two license plates on my truck. I think she was trying to see what I would say and trip me up or if I acted evasive.

The time before that when I had a bear they did not check the guns either. They did want to see my export permit and they issued me another form (CITIES??).

Going into Canada last year I had some bear bait with me...specifically meat scrapes. They (RCMP inspectors) did want to look at that. They went thru the truck and trailer. They never did ask any questions about my ATV the last two times I crossed. You're supposed to have insurance on it in Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Far from new. Its been ten years since I went and probably twenty since they gave my dad the run around about bringing his rifle back. They wanted to confiscate it. US customs can be a pita. Usually getting into Canada is the easy part.

And yes for those who didn't know, no handguns in canada and drinking and driving is more serious over there than here. No alcohol on boats either.
My first bear hunt in Ontario was in 92. Have been 9 times since then plus once deer hunting, the last time being 2013. Never been asked for any documentation from US customs regarding items I brought back with me other than the bear. Crazy how so much is based on the individual agent.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
My first bear hunt in Ontario was in 92. Have been 9 times since then plus once deer hunting, the last time being 2013. Never been asked for any documentation from US customs regarding items I brought back with me other than the bear. Crazy how so much is based on the individual agent.
I suspect some is timing also. If they are busy they will run folks thru quickly. If you fit a profile or act odd, that might invite scrutiny.

Also....I suspect if you did not cross thru the same place when you went in, that might invite scrutiny. When going into Canada, I always had my outfitter's brochure/contact info or contract and showed it to the RCMP folks. When coming back in, I had all the documents the RCMP gave me when crossing over and showed it to the US CBP folks.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
exactly and my guns are one item I don't want to chance to hitting a bad customs agent.

our return went very smooth, guy joked about us having chili in the cooler as they did a quick once over our trailer at the booth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find it odd for the firearms that you would need to file the CBP Form 4457. You have to register your firearms at the border upon entry to Canada, therefore proving ownership and possession prior to your hunt. Why couldn't you supply the form upon return into the US?

I hunted near Timmins in 2012 and was not asked for this upon return. We had to show our export tag for the two bears check in on the US side with more forms, but nothing about our optics, firearms, cameras, etc. Guess we were lucky.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For clarification, I understand its purpose is to show ownership prior to entering into Canada. However, you HAVE to register your guns and the last I checked, there wasn't a gun shop in the tunnel to Windsor, or any on the bridges to Sarnia or the Soo. If I return with the same firearms I registered when entering Canada, then this form is irrelevant upon return. Coming back with more than you left with, that's another story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts