Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my good friends sons turned 10 last week and told his dad that all he wanted for his birthday was to go fish on a boat. I plan on getting him out on Sunday morning as long as the weather cooperates. Only problem is I haven't been on the river in over a month. Any suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated. Looking to target walleye. I know fishing hasn't been stellar as of late but I'd like to put him on a couple fish if possible. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Keep in mind that, for a 10 year old, catching limits of Walleyes isn't the main requirement. Kids just want to catch fish, and aren't all that concerned about what kind they catch. Catching multiple species is a learning experience for them. No catching anything will cause them to be bored, and they will quickly lose interest.

Good on you for taking a kid fishing for his birthday. You should take him out next spring when the White Bass are spawning. THAT is just about the best "kid fishing" you'll ever find.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would get a couple dozen golden shiners or spot-tails and take him out on LSC for smallies. There are 3 ways that I have used to drift with them efficiently, and they all have their time and place. You could start with one of each and see which is working best.

1) A small circle hook with a split-shot or two in front of the minnow. This works great for a rod that you are going to put in a rod-holder, as they will hook themselves in the corner of their mouth. I usually just cast it out 30-40 feet and then let out more line until it starts getting hung on the weeds, then bring it back in a turn or two.
2) Drop-shot rig. Just like you would do with a soft-plastic, however, you use a real minnow instead.
3) 3-way rig. I use a 3-way swivel with a 12-18 inch dropper to a drop-shot weight or egg sinker. I then tie a short 6-12 inch leader to the 3rd eyelet with a small hook. This rig allows you maintain bottom contact, but also lets the minnow swim more naturally.

BTW, you can also drag drop-shots or cast with tubes at the same time. I would target the 10-15 foot depths right now and move until you find them. If they are there, they will bite. If you want specific locations to start, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
BTW, I am planning on going Sunday morning and as of now, I don't have anyone going with me. You are welcome to join me, or we could share info on the water. Shoot me a PM if interested. I have a 20 ft Lund Fisherman & all of the gear we would need, but you are welcome to bring whatever you want.

upload_2019-9-12_11-26-42.png

upload_2019-9-12_11-29-35.png

Here's one of the good ones I found this past Sunday: (4.65 lbs)

upload_2019-9-12_11-33-31.png

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you slim. Thats a helluva nice thing to do. Hes hell bent on gators. I'll see if I can talk him out of it. Tried explaining that spring would be way more fun for him and that fishing might be slow to non existent right now.

If I cant maybe I'll grab some minnows and switch to smallies if we dont have any luck with walleye. I plan on fishing the channels closer to the lake.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don’t mean to try and change your mind, I have two boys that age, we do the walleye run in the spring on the river but after that always hit the lake, a lot more options on how to fish and a lot of variety. My sons like catching walleye too but I have yet to see them upset reeling in big drum, cats or bass. Just a suggestion, have fun what ever you choose!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Thank you slim. Thats a helluva nice thing to do. Hes hell bent on gators. I'll see if I can talk him out of it. Tried explaining that spring would be way more fun for him and that fishing might be slow to non existent right now.

If I cant maybe I'll grab some minnows and switch to smallies if we dont have any luck with walleye. I plan on fishing the channels closer to the lake.
No problem. I get it. My son is the opposite. He likes chasing bass with moving baits and everything else is boring to him. He used to come with us jigging in the rivers, but rarely does that anymore. There was a post by a guy who was getting into some walleyes out on LSC on the South Shore trolling cranks and harnesses last Sunday. But that is a hike from there you plan on going.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Great offer there, Slim. I've got the exact same boat (same color scheme and same trailer too). Had to replace the wood in the stern of mine a couple seasons ago, but the boat is still one heck of a fishing machine and still looks new like yours. Really like the seat/storeage area you built. Looks like a nice setup with some added space between the front seats and the fishing seats, as well as easy access storeage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was a failure as far as fishing was concerned. Only picked up one bass. We did find a mudpuppy swimming in the north channel. We netted him and he thought that was the coolest thing ever. He had a good time even with the lack of fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts