Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting my salmon boat ready to fish, I decided to take a closer look at my dry chemical fire extinguisher. First thing I noticed was a mud dauber had plugged the nozzle. While working to clear that out, I noticed the chemical agent wanted to hang onto the bottom of the extinguisher. It took a good 3 or 4 minutes of shaking to loozen it from the bottom of the cylinder. I have my doubts the thing would have worked properly during an emergency. Just a heads up safety item.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for this reminder!
It's good to couple this check with a bilge & pump inspection as well - especially all the folks with inboard/outboards!

My father lost a good friend to a boat fire that became an explosion.

·
Premium Member
10,302 Posts
Also look at the bottom of the extinguisher. There is an expiration date.
That's usually the manufacture date. Just like at work, they should be inspected and tagged every year. You can take it to the company you bought it from or find one through google etc. Considering the damage a fire can cause it's money and time well spent. Remember a five pound extinguisher gives you around 12 seconds of fire fighting.

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's usually the manufacture date. Just like at work, they should be inspected and tagged every year. You can take it to the company you bought it from or find one through google etc. Considering the damage a fire can cause it's money and time well spent. Remember a five pound extinguisher gives you around 12 seconds of fire fighting.

Good luck everyone!
My mistake. Did some research and I was wrong.

Appreciate the information!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bump again... This is serious stuff - a little attention and literally one of the cheapest safety items, pays 1000x's in dividends on peace of mind and prevention of loss of life & property.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Bump again... This is serious stuff - a little attention and literally one of the cheapest safety items, pays 1000x's in dividends on peace of mind and prevention of loss of life & property.
Bumps on this is a good thing...

I have a list on my cell calendar that pops up twice a year. Fire extinguisher, flare dates, dump 5 galleons of water in my bilge pump to check it (11 YO aluminum Lund that's never had a drop of water in it). Make sure the VHF radio I never use works, etc, etc, etc...I could publish the whole list I guess but you guys get it. I've "rescued" over a dozen people over the last 20 years or so that aren't prepared. I didn't mind a bit but it's always something they could have prevented of they just made dumb decisions...

Good thread OP...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Good discussion. Also shake your fire exts on a regular basis to make sure the powder is loose. It can become compacted by the boat pounding the waves.

Learned this during a USCG inspection

·
Registered
804 Posts
Also good idea to tell people where safety items are stored on the boat. Just never know how much time you will actually have in an emergency. People from this boat we running to other end of parking lot looking for the guy parking the trailer. Not sure if they would have gotten it out if knew where the location of fire extinguisher. Note several boats around and fire extinguishers and the boat still burned.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts