Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Tagged out tonight from the same stand I shot a bow buck 11 point. A really terrible blood trail that only lasted about 30 yards. I found it about 40 yards further body searching. Severe quartering away, hit right where I aimed, entered behind last rib and stuck in off shoulder, no exit. Hit heart and lung. Guts plugged up the entrance hole. Today was the 4th encounter with this buck, the 3 others times he stayed just out of bow range coming and going from the same area. He was definitely a homebody. This is my first buck with gun since 2006 and that buck had its head cut off and was stolen from our buck pole. View attachment 609145 View attachment 609147
Congrats sir. You are having one heck of a year!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Wow! How did I miss this kill, damn deer hunting has me distracted I think. Those are some brutes! (Past and present)What a year you have had, Congrats and well done Hubb.

Sorry about the dirt bag thieve, I can't even Imagine.

Reactions: HUBBHUNTER

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Sensational season, sir!

Two questions:

1. What is the main factor in your success this season?
2. Which deer's antlers do you like better?

I'm torn, but I think I lean to the more recent of the two.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great buck Hubb!
Hard to find mature bucks this time of year in Mi.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Way to get it done Hubb, good body weight for this time in rut. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Great buck Hub and awesome season for you as well.

What kind of piece of s#!t steals the head off someone else’s deer!?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sensational season, sir!

Two questions:

1. What is the main factor in your success this season?
2. Which deer's antlers do you like better?

I'm torn, but I think I lean to the more recent of the two.
Thank you!
1.) With the right wind for this stand the pressure is extremely minimal. The entrance and exit are through knee deep swamp water from the edge of a road to about 10 yards from the tree so your boots barely touch any dirt at all.
I would say this is the #1 reason this area produces so well.
It's also a great spot close to a couple different bedding areas and the type of habitat is broke up into 4 different types of cover. Each of these types of cover (Pines, Swamp, hinge cut, and AO's) hold deer so a buck that is looking for does needs to move around to these different areas to check them out. Even though I shot this one with a gun this area is set up for bow hunting. There are no long shots. It's thick.

2.) I'm leaning towards the gun buck.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Thank you!
1.) With the right wind for this stand the pressure is extremely minimal. The entrance and exit are through knee deep swamp water from the edge of a road to about 10 yards from the tree so your boots barely touch any dirt at all.
I would say this is the #1 reason this area produces so well.
It's also a great spot close to a couple different bedding areas and the type of habitat is broke up into 4 different types of cover. Each of these types of cover (Pines, Swamp, hinge cut, and AO's) hold deer so a buck that is looking for does needs to move around to these different areas to check them out. Even though I shot this one with a gun this area is set up for bow hunting. There are no long shots. It's thick.

2.) I'm leaning towards the gun buck.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tagged out tonight from the same stand I shot a bow buck 11 point. A really terrible blood trail that only lasted about 30 yards. I found it about 40 yards further body searching. Severe quartering away, hit right where I aimed, entered behind last rib and stuck in off shoulder, no exit. Hit heart and lung. Guts plugged up the entrance hole. Today was the 4th encounter with this buck, the 3 others times he stayed just out of bow range coming and going from the same area. He was definitely a homebody. This is my first buck with gun since 2006 and that buck had its head cut off and was stolen from our buck pole. View attachment 609145 View attachment 609147
Congats, great bucks.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I'm slipping, Can't believe I didn't see this till just now. Congratulations on a couple dandy well earned bucks Hubb.
You the mafa man!

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Very nice. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
another great season! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
I'm slipping, Can't believe I didn't see this till just now. Congratulations on a couple dandy well earned bucks Hubb.
You the mafa man!
same here!
It was probably hidden while being fact checked!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts