Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have gotten kings, browns or steelies that were planted at a location no where near were you caught the fish?

A friend wanted me to post this question since he caught a 19 pound king at port austin this fall that was planted in may 2000 at swan river and he was wondering if anyone else has caught a fish that was planted elsewhere.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A couple Years ago I got a small king at Frankfort that was planted at Harbor Beach. Thats a long trip for a 2 yr old king.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Got a king off Ludington planted at Rogers City and also got steelhead there planted in Indiana waters on the St Joe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On the Canadian side of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay we get quite a few US planted rainbows in our rivers. Coming up to spawn, based on the fin clippings.

These fish are given automatic travel visas and allowed to spawn.
Studies show the spawn are left confused, with a need to return home to their native land, however the stronger canadian beer slows their departure.

All kidding aside, we do get US fish here in our rivers.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Caught a King two yrs ago out of Harbor Beach that was planted in the Strawberry creek Wisconsin. The fish was a four yr old and I caught it in the middle of August. He would of had a long way to travel if he was going to get back home to spawn in Oct.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I had DNR Bilogist tell me e few yrs ago that he had a Steelhead come into Lexington that was planted in the St Joe in Indiana only a few weeks prior. Man, that fish was cruisin'.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
No, I caught that one in St. Joes and released it over here as a joke...:cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by Chasin
Caught a King two yrs ago out of Harbor Beach that was planted in the Strawberry creek Wisconsin. The fish was a four yr old and I caught it in the middle of August. He would of had a long way to travel if he was going to get back home to spawn in Oct.
I was told that the salmon (of the great lakes) follow the baitfish around and run the river they are nearest to when the urge hits them.

SNAG

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Between my father and myself, we've gotten 4 tagged fish in the past 2 years. They've all been planted where they were caught.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
SNAG,

That's not true. The salmon do imprint on a river and probably 95+% will run back to that river given the chance.

Steelhead are much less reliable, especially the skams from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
beave,
thats what I've been taught too! salmon will roam the lakes in search of food but return to their home river to spwan,steelhead will roam for food also,but when the spwaning urge comes enter the closest stream to where there at.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Beave,
I'm just going by what a fisheries biologist told me. I'm sure that most of the fish that are the result of natural reproduction return to their native stream, however, the planters have much less loyalty.

Snag

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Well this is a topic that was debated on another forum I seen.But its to my understanding that the planted salmon at spawning time enter the nearest river thats suitable for spawning conditions at the time the urge hits them.:)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just recieved my notice from the DNR that the laker I got in Harbor Beach this past summer was planted at Sturgeon Point in 1998

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
fishwitch44,
wow, a laker moved some 50 miles south,I was alwas tought lakers where the one fish that stayed close to where they were planted,so much for that myth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts