Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Tackle questions for the seasoned trollers

6K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  eyepod 
#1 ·
I have a couple things I need help/guidance with. Really love all the information I've learned whole navigating through ms. For sure I'm going to slim shadys advice on tying my harnesses on 25lb flouro. I've been bitten off a gross amount of times this year.
First question is does anyone run heavier mainline? We are currently running the 16lb sunline or whatever that is suppose to be the diameter of 10lb xt. I honestly couldn't be more disappointed. Breaks all the time and has tons of memory, just don't like it. Does anyone recommend anything else?
Also for the boards. I love to release them so they fall to the back of the boat. Have the orange clips on front and the 18s on back. 18s seem to be slipping after just over a year already and they are pricey! They orange pads wear out fast and the sunline seems to dig in. I know all the basics, we leave slack between the clips. Works great when it works it just don't work all the time. With that bleeping sunline we have broke the line like 5 times now jus trying to pop the board.
Please help! Sick of looking like an amateur out there [emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

#44 ·
I run Offshore boards and change all the clips out every two years. Changing out the pads only is a royal pain in the hind end. Maxima or Big Game line in 14 to 20 pound, never a problem, it is very strong. When I fish the last thing I want to do is deal with broken or substandard tackle, it pisses me off. Run 14# fluorocarbon for harness leaders, don't know if fluoro is needed but it works well.

Also, I quickly got tired of crawler dirt getting all over my boat so I carry an extra small cooler that I fill with a couple inches of water and pick the crawlers out and put them in there a dozen at a time. Keeps them lively and no more crawler dirt in your boat.

#46 ·
I run Offshore boards and change all the clips out every two years. Changing out the pads only is a royal pain in the hind end. Maxima or Big Game line in 14 to 20 pound, never a problem, it is very strong. When I fish the last thing I want to do is deal with broken or substandard tackle, it pisses me off. Run 14# fluorocarbon for harness leaders, don't know if fluoro is needed but it works well.

Also, I quickly got tired of crawler dirt getting all over my boat so I carry an extra small cooler that I fill with a couple inches of water and pick the crawlers out and put them in there a dozen at a time. Keeps them lively and no more crawler dirt in your boat.
I started washing my crawlers at home and keep them in a styrofoam container with damp newspaper. No mess that way also.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#45 ·
Got free sunline with a rod and reel combo I bought thought it was a mistake that they gave me six 660 yard spools with one combo untill I saw how bad the line is and figured out they just wanted it out of their inventory. I run 14 or 17 pound big game on all my trolling reels and use them for anything from bottom bouncing for walleye to pulling plugs for river steelhead even pull 1 pound lead balls with that line for salmon and Lakers with no problem.

#54 ·
I run 12lb berkely big game on 8 foot rods with off shore boards. I found that making sure that your orange clip has the line set half way in makes it really easy to pop the line loose when you get a fish on. Loop trick works great too but i never do it.

Red clip i run line behind the nipplie... but the orage clip in front I only set half way in. If you run it all the way into the clip it will hang up when you pop your rod back to release the line.

At least that is my experience with the off shore releases.

tight lines!

#58 ·
There is constant pressure from the board. More fish are lost at the slower speeds, even with 3 trebles on husky jerks due to lack of hook set like you would with a jig or casting. I feel when you pop the front clip it gives you that little bit of Hookset you need when running under 1.5 mph. 2 mph or higher, seldom do they get off unless it's up by the boat.

#59 ·
It's a p.i.t.a running 1.0-1.2 mph. I'll bump the speed up if we have alot of Boards and stickbaits and a far out board won't pop. Usually the Xtra drag from weight of fish will take it back and keep it skipping across surface towards boat. Lots of distance between Boards are a must, but hard to do with 5 or 6 a side....or 10 with them charter guys! :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.