Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Eric, I've got 6 of the large tx44 church boards with the sams pro release up front. They work great and are for braid. But they will work fine on mono. I haven't replaced all my offshore yet with them but will at some point since I've already got the releases. I don't like them on a ring like how they're designed to be used so I hard fixed them on arm...
Blue Orange Sleeve Wood Font

Motor vehicle Orange Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Leg Wood Tints and shades Flooring Toy

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I run a heavy power pro to a 6-8 foot leader of 10# XT.
I also run the Sam's pro on the church walleye boards with stainless pin in the back.
Only problem I have is when the release gets rigged wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eric, I've got 6 of the large tx44 church boards with the sams pro release up front. They work great and are for braid. But they will work fine on mono. I haven't replaced all my offshore yet with them but will at some point since I've already got the releases. I don't like them on a ring like how they're designed to be used so I hard fixed them on arm...
View attachment 838778
View attachment 838777
View attachment 838776
I tried them, but when released the line would come off the release spool then get caught on the tip and not come off release. Does hard mounting fix this?

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
I tried them, but when released the line would come off the release spool then get caught on the tip and not come off release. Does hard mounting fix this?
Yes....I've mounted them both with arm swinging forward and backwards and this is best way. There's already a second hole to drill another hole down through arm. If you don't have 2 screws it will slide back and forth and not work right all the time. I took a screw and went to my local hardware and got more plus the Teflon lock nuts. Them little black plastic nuts that come on board always loosen up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes....I've mounted them both with arm swinging forward and backwards and this is best way. There's already a second hole to drill another hole down through arm. If you don't have 2 screws it will slide back and forth and not work right all the time. I took a screw and went to my local hardware and got more plus the Teflon lock nuts. Them little black plastic nuts that come on board always loosen up.
Thanks Ralph. I'll try this

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Toss the sunline in the trash.
18# big game on the harness, same as main line. The fish don't mind.
Run an emery board over them clip pads.
I I am and won't look back. It was recommended on here? Where did everyone go that lied to me? Lol

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
I I am and won't look back. It was recommended on here? Where did everyone go that lied to me? Lol

I was given a big spool of that sunline years ago to try out. I spooled 6 reels with it and 6 with 12lb trylene big game. Still using big game, gave the other away. The strength is there but it's sh.i.t for abrasiveness. One little nick and it will break. Found that out when it broke tying on 3 different reels tying to the reel before spooling up!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ande is the best line for the money. 14# is good all around. Maxima is the toughest in abrasive resistance and breaking pounds. Their 12 used to break at like 16#. A litte stiffer and more memory than Ande. Also, about twice as much.

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Ande is the best line for the money. 14# is good all around. Maxima is the toughest in abrasive resistance and breaking pounds. Their 12 used to break at like 16#. A litte stiffer and more memory than Ande. Also, about twice as much.
Maxima has always been a great line. All I would use for steelhead back in the day. When you can pull in 12lb fish in current on 4lb line it says alot. :)

·
Registered
28,140 Posts
I was given a big spool of that sunline years ago to try out. I spooled 6 reels with it and 6 with 12lb trylene big game. Still using big game, gave the other away. The strength is there but it's sh.i.t for abrasiveness. One little nick and it will break. Found that out when it broke tying on 3 different reels tying to the reel before spooling up!
Now we know why Ruckman was handing that stuff out like candy. jk. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Maxima has always been a great line. All I would use for steelhead back in the day. When you can pull in 12lb fish in current on 4lb line it says alot. :)
Yep. 5# was my favorite. Fished like 4 and was almost as strong as 6. We had some batches that broke at over 8#. I still use it. Also, the stretch is terrific, which saves your butt on hard fighting fish. 25 on the rigger rods for kings saved a lot of fish that came to the boat way too soon.

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
I'm a 10# maxima mainline Steelhead guy for decades, now. I've also been "trying" Sunline for Walleye trolling, and it seems fine, so far. But I am happy to spool up Maxima the next time I need to respool. I really like the PinClips. Gonna have to get me some of those.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm a 10# maxima mainline Steelhead guy for decades, now. I've also been "trying" Sunline for Walleye trolling, and it seems fine, so far. But I am happy to spool up Maxima the next time I need to respool. I really like the PinClips. Gonna have to get me some of those.
It was fine the first year. Right straight to poop 2nd year. Boat always in the garage out of the sun.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts