Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple things I need help/guidance with. Really love all the information I've learned whole navigating through ms. For sure I'm going to slim shadys advice on tying my harnesses on 25lb flouro. I've been bitten off a gross amount of times this year.
First question is does anyone run heavier mainline? We are currently running the 16lb sunline or whatever that is suppose to be the diameter of 10lb xt. I honestly couldn't be more disappointed. Breaks all the time and has tons of memory, just don't like it. Does anyone recommend anything else?
Also for the boards. I love to release them so they fall to the back of the boat. Have the orange clips on front and the 18s on back. 18s seem to be slipping after just over a year already and they are pricey! They orange pads wear out fast and the sunline seems to dig in. I know all the basics, we leave slack between the clips. Works great when it works it just don't work all the time. With that bleeping sunline we have broke the line like 5 times now jus trying to pop the board.
Please help! Sick of looking like an amateur out there

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Possibly a dumb question, but have you tried putting about 5 twists into your main line and then clipping the front clip onto the twists with the twists facing forward (toward the boat)? I started doing this a while back based on some advice and the line comes out of the front clip a lot easier and the board falls back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Josh said it before I did. Also those are my 2 go to trolling lines in #12. Landed 100s of salmon on Ande #8 back in the days of tight lining with 12ft rods.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I run Suffix Hi Vis in 17 or 20lb, haven't had a break in 5 years of running it and my rods are left in the sun at the slip. The HI Vis makes it easier to see the lines when the get close to boards jumping or whatever. I tie a reel on swivel to 12-15lb fluorocarbon leader and a snap. The in line swivel catches a lot of cotton so make the leader 5-8ft.

The pads wear out if you fish a lot, I keep extras on the boat (not pads but snaps). I had the Sam luck with cheap Chinese snaps and they are half the price. The twist in the line helps the front snap release without as much wear.

Reactions: deagansdad1

·
Registered
626 Posts
I’ve heard nothing but bad things from guys about sunline. Never ran it myself. Only guys I’ve seen talk good about it are affiliated with the company in some way. I run 12lb big game. .014 diameter matches the precision trolling app. As for the clips, I know a lot of guys do the line twist trick to get them to pop loose easily. Not sure if it saves your pads or not though. I usually replace my pads 1-2 times a year. A little tedious but once you get it down it’s easy. I’ll definitely be checking out the clips posted above. Sick of the plastic pin getting a groove wore in it. Not bad when you have someone unclipping the board for you but it sure is a pain in the butt doing it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
793 Posts
Berkley big game for line..... can run heavier in event you salmon fish too and go to lighter leaders

I like the big john otter release on the front... its a plunger type release and will work / hold Copper line rigs too . How far you push the plunger in determines how easy it releases... good for varying conditions.

There is a green clip that is like the OR18 with the pin in the middle. Don't recall the name but a buddy of mine uses them and I plan to test em out next. They have a metal pin that is bigger and I believe pads are thicker too. OR18 will slip on braided lines and replacement pads don't always stay in place.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Berkley big game for line..... can run heavier in event you salmon fish too and go to lighter leaders

I like the big john otter release on the front... its a plunger type release and will work / hold Copper line rigs too . How far you push the plunger in determines how easy it releases... good for varying conditions.

There is a green clip that is like the OR18 with the pin in the middle. Don't recall the name but a buddy of mine uses them and I plan to test em out next. They have a metal pin that is bigger and I believe pads are thicker too. OR18 will slip on braided lines and replacement pads don't always stay in place.
I'm intrigued by this release I just looked it up

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SUNLINE SUCKS!!!

I have had good luck with Trilene and Ande

You can replace the pads in the front and rear clips, not to bad a of a job, some guys replace the plastic pin with a stainless or aluminum rivet also. I run www.thepinclip.com clips. Some guys like them some hate them, I do not have issues but to each their own
Andre? Never heard of it. Is it pricey?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Possibly a dumb question, but have you tried putting about 5 twists into your main line and then clipping the front clip onto the twists with the twists facing forward (toward the boat)? I started doing this a while back based on some advice and the line comes out of the front clip a lot easier and the board falls back.
I haven't but have heard of it. Gonna try tomorrow. Already tied up 20 new harnesses. Tomorrow will be our last trip with sunline. Haven't narrowed down what in going to jus yet but will be slightly bigger test

·
Premium Member
6,987 Posts

That clip is the website I posted believe, could be wrong tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Andre the giant? 🤔
I have had same problem this season. I had new 10# big game mono put on my reels and I have had 1 line break each day when snapping the line out of the clip. I use the"loop trick" as explained by Mark Romanack on you-tube. Sounds like we should spool up with heavier line. The last 2 times this happened we pulled out remaining lines and went back to retrieve our board and the fish was still attached to the back red clip so the line breaks in the area of the front clip.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts