Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious; how many of you feed your dogs table scraps or the ocasional table scrap? I've never done it with my year old dog because I don't like it when a dog begs. However, whenever I bring my dog to my parents house, my mother will always "accidently" drop a morsel of food on the ground. I brought my dog to a barbecue with a number of friends. While cooking on the grill, they would "accidently" drop pieces of trimmed fat on the ground for the dogs to eat. Unfortunately, my dog knows how good trimmed fat off of a steak tastes along with the occasional chips/ meat/ etc.. from my mother.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Guilty as charged!!! My dogs have always gotten table scraps and and occasional trip to the ice cream store...and yes they now are terrible beggers. My pup begs so bad that he has drool hanging in longs strings from both sides of his mouth....and yes it is really icky. Especially when he tries to put his head on your lap...and slimes you.....lol

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
NEVER, my dogs eat dog food and dog treats. Not saying table scraps arent bad for a dog, IMHO just creates bad habbits.

·
Registered
291 Posts
NO. Never any table scraps. My pup loves her dry kibble so why would I give her something that may change her mind. I've seen what scraps do to dogs. Turns them into annoying little beggars.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have always given my dogs scraps from the table. The idea that they will beg from the table to get them is a lack of discipline. If I should notice one or the other too close to the table during a meal all I have to do is look their way and they either turn away or leave the general area. If I say, "Are yoiu starring!?" in a stern voice they will leave the room. After our meal the "specials" go in their bowls and they get to eat, no problems. FRANK.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I'll give mine meat scraps and leftover green veggies mixed in with their food. But no pasta, taters, or starchy foods. I do let them lick my ice cream bowl clean when I am finished.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
All my dogs get table scaps, normally with their dry food when they eat, but also hand outs here and there. They apperciate it, and it does not affect proformance or handling. Sometimes I make macaroni and cheese for the dogs dinner/snack, and I always buy an extra steak or chop for the grill and cook it for them. Oh, and I stop on the road out hunting at homemade jerky stands for "treats" for all. If your dog is not worth $24.99/lb then it is time for a new dog :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
My house dog gets a few scraps. My outside dogs get all the scraps I can add to their food in the winter time. Small dogs + Cold Winters = need for as much energy/fat as I can give them. In the winter I will save bacon grease and the leavings in the fry pan for them. The fat really helps them to stay warm on those frigid nights.

Mike

Jumpshooting, Buster is a firm believer that anything left in the ice cream bowl is his and his alone!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If they behave and stay in their bed they can have scraps. When we eat I tell them "BED" and they all go to their spots in the living room. They beg from a distance. Then they will recieve healthy treats from the table. My wife has them on a mostly natural diet anyways. Carrots, greens, meats along with some Kibble.

We buy veggies in BULK and then spend one Sunday out of the month and put it all through a big food processer and store it in the freezer. Then grind up the meat portions and store them as well. She then measures out the proper portions of vitamins and other nutrients at feeding time according to each dogs needs.

Most dog foods that say real meat ??? means they have been just sprayed with a meat by-product. I could go on and on regarding that topic.

We bicker a little bit as far as how much is digested into the dogs system, but I cant argue with the results she gets. I always laugh and tell her our dogs waste is more nutritious than most popular dog food brands....

Rooster & the Gang

·
Registered
277 Posts
pojack said:
Just curious; how many of you feed your dogs table scraps or the ocasional table scrap? I've never done it with my year old dog because I don't like it when a dog begs. However, whenever I bring my dog to my parents house, my mother will always "accidently" drop a morsel of food on the ground. I brought my dog to a barbecue with a number of friends. While cooking on the grill, they would "accidently" drop pieces of trimmed fat on the ground for the dogs to eat. Unfortunately, my dog knows how good trimmed fat off of a steak tastes along with the occasional chips/ meat/ etc.. from my mother.
If you dont wish to have the begging, put the scraps in their bowl..dont feed from the table or counter.

As for begging at the table...tell them to "down" or "on your bed"(as someone else suggested) and once they are laying with head flat on the floor, completely relaxed and NOT "staring", toss them a scrap. Only when they are NOT staring at you does the scrap come flying. The behavior you reward is the behavior you will get. (which is why folks who give in and reward the staring cute face...see lots more staring cute faces! LOL)
In no time at all, you will have dogs glued to the floor, with heads down, even napping while you eat your dinner. (trust me, it works, we have 4 that do) Its that simple.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've never given my dog scraps just for the reason I've never wanted begging. I always said we she got old I'd give her some but that won't happen now anyway because we've found a few years ago that she has bad food allergies. So it's in her best interest to not have anything else. I will give her an occasional small piece of grouse or woodcock off the grill during the season for her hard work.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
redvdog said:
Scraps??? I do not feed scraps I make extra for the dogs.:)
:yeahthat: We eat healthy too and our dogs usually get what we have for dinner mixed in with their dry food. If it's good for us it sure can't be bad for the pups.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Can't imagine a breakfast, lunch or dinner (except when we have company) without my guys sitting there expectantly awaiting pieces of peanut butter toast, sandwiches, crackers, cheese, pretzels before moving onto the dinner entree . I can understand why some don't because the dogs do turn into beggars but after being in their crates or the kennel all day I cherish all the free time I can spend with them. Doesn't cause any health/weight problems as the volume is actually quite low and my dogs are trim.

But at least I don't give them jelly donuts like BIGSP :dizzy: .

Ruger1

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have always given my dogs scraps from the table. The idea that they will beg from the table to get them is a lack of discipline. If I should notice one or the other too close to the table during a meal all I have to do is look their way and they either turn away or leave the general area. If I say, "Are yoiu starring!?" in a stern voice they will leave the room. After our meal the "specials" go in their bowls and they get to eat, no problems. FRANK.

geeesss lack of discipline is a little harsh dont you think....how about that maybe in MY situation I allow what I allow and not a lack of anything on my part. ...... wow... Scraps now and then never hurt any dog. It is the overdoing it is what make obese dogs and lack of exercise. To each his own. LOL

My dogs are spoiled wrotten and would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
My lab gets some here and there. The gf is a softie. I try to stay away from making a habit of it, don't want a beggar or to be yelling while I am at the table. After a long hunt where she does outstanding, I will stop a get her a couple of cheeseburgers. Last opening day we shot 4 limits of ducks (yes 4 guys were there), she got every single one of them, didn't miss a bird. We lost one bird, I say we because it was our (the guys) fault. Long shot hit em in the rear end and it crashed 350 yards out in the lake, and kept going into Erie.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts