Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like some scattered thunderstorms for the rest of the day. Anyone gonna fish in it? It would likely be safe if we’re fishing closer to taller structures, right? Maybe hugging shores/walls mid river?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
LOL....back in the day, & yeah I'm gonna sound like an old school ?!.....we just went fishing, with the long term forecast we had....we never had an hour bye hour like today, which I watch all the time, lol....

Funny, but you learn a lot of things just "winging" it....in the day ya didn't have an option & I still believe that's not all bad today....just me....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL....back in the day, & yeah I'm gonna sound like an old school ?!.....we just went fishing, with the long term forecast we had....we never had an hour bye hour like today, which I watch all the time, lol....

Funny, but you learn a lot of things just "winging" it....in the day ya didn't have an option & I still believe that's not all bad today....just me....
Rain don’t bother me any, just don’t want to put myself and others in danger with lightning on open water. That’s why I was thinking maybe it’s safe if you’re by a shore? Taller trees/buildings/etc around.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yesterday was slow for me as well, water is super clean on both sides but they’re around. I’ll fish cloud to cloud lightning, but otherwise seems too dicey, even on the river. Almost been struck on land when I was younger, it’s terrifying.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I have an app called My Lightening Tracker. It will send you a message when lightening strikes get within 'X' number of miles from you. Mine is set to 25 miles... Based on this and the radar I'd be heading to shelter right now.... View attachment 831957
Already had a power flicker at work, I wouldn't want to be on the water right now. Cool app im definitely getting that!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up having nothing more than an extremely light drizzle near the end of the day. Never saw a flash of lightning in Wyandotte. Stayed close to the launch. Missed a good amount. Only three keepers and two shorts in about 4 1/2 hours. That’s about the worst I’ve done all year outside of my first two very very early trips when fish weren't in yet. Still a good time though. And the Leafs lost again so it’s a good day!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Ended up having nothing more than an extremely light drizzle near the end of the day. Never saw a flash of lightning in Wyandotte. Stayed close to the launch. Missed a good amount. Only three keepers and two shorts in about 4 1/2 hours. That’s about the worst I’ve done all year outside of my first two very very early trips when fish weren't in yet. Still a good time though. And the Leafs lost again so it’s a good day!
Good for going either way, not the worst report I've heard and screw the leafs - Detroit all the way!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Lightning/electricity doesn't "fall from the sky." It goes from the Earth upwards to clouds, our between clouds.

lol its a figure of speech, but thanks for the grade 5 science lesson

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
If you get struck, does it really matter.?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I had 2 good buddy’s get struck running out of a thunderstorm under a tree..lightning hit the tree...it tossed both of them 40’ away..1 guy had just burns the other it messed him up bad and still slow to this day..but they both survived..we talk about it all the time ..we nicknamed him flash..still good buddy’s to this day.this was about 20 yrs ago..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts