Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am done for the season boys! I got two opening day, and my friend took a nice doe last weekend with my omega (very good deer season for me). With all the talk about the problems with powerbelts I am thinking about changing for next year. I have in my safe a box of t/c shockwave 250grain, and hornady 300 grain sabots. Anyone using these two types and using american pioneer? What kinds of results are you getting with your omega?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i am shooting the 250 grain shokwaves with 2 pellets of pyrodox 777 out of my blackdiamond and thay shoot great,i was thinking of trying the 300 grain shokwaves to see how thay shoot but have not tryed them yet,i was useing the saboted xtp bullets in 250 grain and could not get good groups with them,the shokwaves made a big differnce. i have not used the powerbelts,but wanted to try them also.maybe go down the barrel a little easer

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I shoot 250 gr shockwaves out of an Omega using 2 50gr Triple-7 pellets. It has taken 3 deer this year, one at 140 yards and dropped him in his tracks.

Good load for me, I'm not changing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just bought another Omega with a carbine length barrel and got a sample pack of 250gr. Shockwaves with it. Having never tried these, how difficult are they to get down the barrel?

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
If you have trouble getting the 250 gr. or 300 gr. Shockwave bullet down the barrel, you're not alone. The larger size bullet diameter and thinner sabot certainly have something to do with it.
I shoot an Encore and have managed to get both down the barrel. Other than recoil, I didn't notice any difference with groups. The 300 gr. bullet did hit lower at 100 yds.
I purchased some of the 200 gr. Shockwaves and WOW, what a difference in loading. They also shot a higher but much tighter group. And while hunting, having to use a "quick load" is very easy.
We've found on here on the range, that if you're using anything over 130 grs of powder with the lighter bullets (200 gr.), you can have a "flyer". Check the fired sabots out to determine if you're blowing the bottom of the sabot out. If that's happening, reduce your charge or go to the heavier bullet (250/300).
I've taken eight (8) deer with the Encore in the last 2 years. Only one shot was less than 100 yds. All the other deer were shot at 130 to 160 yds. In EVERY case there were complete pass thru's, with excellent results with the 200 gr. Shockwaves. None of these deer went past 40 yds.
I've loaded rifle ammunition for target shooting and hunting for over 30 years. Ballisticlly, the spitzer type bullet IS going to shoot flatter. Getting it to group is a matter of practice and powder charge.
The Shockwave bullet and the SST are the same bullet. Both manufactured by Hornady. The Shockwave just has a different colored polymer tip.
Because I shoot the muzz quite a bit, I've found that the best price so far, is in ordering them from Cabela's. Even with shipping, the 30 count pks. from Cabela's are cheaper than the local sporting goods stores.
Regardless of what you're shooting. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts