Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a T/C Encore 209x50 Magnum, and I have a question on the ramrod. I plan on loading w/ 2 triple 777 and 250gr T/C Shockwave sabot.

The ramrod seems to be too short (at least to my liking). So, I added the extended super jag that came with the ML. With the extender on the ramrod, and the rod installed in the thimbles, the rod extends past the barrel 4-5".

Is it safe to shoot with the ramrod extended beyond the end of the barrel? Or, will ths be a continued pain to add the extender everytime I need to load in the field?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I shoot my Encore with the optional "T" handle installed on the ramrod. This extends past the muzzle about 2 inchs. Never had a problem except it gets black from powder residue. I have a Thompson Center Renegade that I installed a super rod ( fiberglass) on and it extended about 3 inches past the muzzle. No problems with it either. Actually when you load the gun you are shortening the bore depth by the amount of powder and bullet you are using. This could be anywhere from 2.5 to almost 4 inchs depending on the load volume. In other words the ramrod looks too short but would extend past the bore in proportion to the load used once loaded. Not sure how soon the pedals on a sabot start to open once out of the barrel and if they would hit the ram rod but that would be the only concern I might have. Not sure but It might become an accuracy issue at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts