Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use small snap swivels to make changing teardrops or spoons easier or do you just take 20 ready rigged rods with you? :confused:
I am assuming from one previous thread I was able to find on this toppic
Jiggin use a small snap swivel or maybe a barrel swivel on the main line with a leader.
Smaller like a teardrop or panfish tie directly to the main line?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I only use a barrell swivel when i am fishing for walleye. I'll run about a 3ft flourocarbon leader. If I'm using spoons, or jigging rapalas, it's a must, because of all the twisting. Sometimes I'll use a very small clip, but the snap swivels are to big for me. The clips are just a very thin wire. For panfish everything is directly on my 1-3lb main line.

These are the clips I use, usually black or silver:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...rClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=5&hvarTarget=browse

Mike

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Direct tie for 'gills, everything else gets a "No Knot Fast Snap". I use a swivel with a three foot leader then the fast snap (the swivel/leader even for 'gills). I use size small and medium fast snaps. I usually end up having to use a pair of forceps for pliers to hold the clip to manipulate it, too fat of fingers for that tiny clip. Work great, wouldn't try anything else. IMHO. ;) :cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
use a fast-snap normally used to hook a fly to fly line. they are real small so need to use forceps to put jig on. but faster than direct tie.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,426 Posts
Wes, if you're talkin' jigs for pannies - I only tie a loop-knot , the amount of bites/hookups is worth the 'hassle' . Of course I usually bring between 6 and 12 rods already rigged!
If I'm pounding a spoon , I may use a swivel - jiggin raps , loop knot OR swivel... depends if I want the bait to spin out... usually that isn't a good thing for the line or to trigger fish though.
If I'm using a #2 pimple ofr perch - I usually let that spin (no swivel) .

Do we have you confused yet??
LOL

Robert
:evilsmile

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
sfw1960 said:
Wes, if you're talkin' jigs for pannies - I only tie a loop-knot , the amount of bites/hookups is worth the 'hassle' . Of course I usually bring between 6 and 12 rods already rigged!
If I'm pounding a spoon , I may use a swivel - jiggin raps , loop knot OR swivel... depends if I want the bait to spin out... usually that isn't a good thing for the line or to trigger fish though.
If I'm using a #2 pimple ofr perch - I usually let that spin (no swivel) .

Do we have you confused yet??
The only thing that has us confused is that hat in the "avatar". I saw one just like it at Dunham's the other day was was thinking about buying it.

The question that started the thread is interesting and I was thinking the same thing myself. How about a picture or a web site link for the "loop-knot"? Not sure which knot you are talking about here.

Carrying 6 to 12 rods already rigged up makes sense but could get expensive if they are all the $15 to $20 rod and reel combos.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Wes: Myself I never use swivels for eyes. Tie direct to the jigging rap or spoons, I usually don't ever have a problem with twist. All rods that I bring are also direct tied.

I'm not rich like Robert so I usually only bring 6 rods......

Wes: PM me if you need any rods. I have several of the old style plastic reel types already with spring bobbers. Your welcome to them if you want them. They work fine just old style.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,426 Posts
wally-eye said:
I'm not rich like Robert so I usually only bring 6 rods......

Wes: PM me if you need any rods. I have several of the old style plastic reel types already with spring bobbers. Your welcome to them if you want them. They work fine just old style.
WUTEVER!!!!
Who's GIVING their 'good' sn00py poles away?????
:lol:
Is THAT why your boat is six feet wider than mine?? 4WD fancy Dan Dodge to pull it with ; your own TRACTOR to plow your own drive??
OK technically you're retired , but that doesn't stop you from STEALING your wife's paycheck every week!
:yikes:
0' yeah that tackle box of yours - it's about as big as our refrigerator... has about a thousand pounds of s*!T in it....
LOL!!!
I've been using the same old X-Rap I bought back in september , the paint's gone , the feather's are all ate up !!
:evilsmile
I'm too broke to pay atttention!

ALEX:
I generally use a double overhand knot - but there's a ton of variations here:
G00GLe
:SHOCKED:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts