Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking good (y)

Reactions: Dish7

·
Registered
654 Posts
Anybody that frost seeded or planted by other means this year, have germination yet? I drilled mine 8 days ago, only see a few sprouts, nothing significant yet and certainly no visible rows.
I did and I have some coming up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm seeing more and more switch seedlings popping up. Also, my weed control looks good in 90% of the planting, have 2 areas of horse tail that bug the shi% out of me.

Reactions: mike hartges

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
IceHog, I'm dealing with horsetail as well. One quart of 2,4-d per acre should put a major dent in that stuff. Not sure if it will ever be gone. It has an extensive root system. I may spray small areas in the switch with 2,4-d soon, and hope for the best. If I can eradicate the horsetail, I may have to replant some small areas of switch next year.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mike,
I'm gonna wait (2) more weeks before hitting it with 2,4-d, hoping to get to the 4 leaf stage.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
can you use 24-d on 1st year switchgrass?
Yes, just not too early in the growth stage. That situation poses a problem because you can't nail the broadleaf weed in their early stages. It'll work out, but the lack of rain is probably worse than the weeds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, just not too early in the growth stage. That situation poses a problem because you can't nail the broadleaf weed in their early stages. It'll work out, but the lack of rain is probably worse than the weeds.
is there a certain length you would wait for to spray with 2-4D or would trimming back the weeds be a better idea? This is a relatively small area (1 acre) I could probably hit the weedy spots with a string trimmer if needed

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Having 3-4 leaves on the grasses is the minimum size they recommend spraying.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Spraying 2,4-D is a good idea. You can also mow first year switch 2-3 times to combat weeds. Wait til the switch is well-established and set the mower height above the switch.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Good info on spraying and mowing, guys. 20 years ago, I planted a few acres of switchgrass. I did not pre treat the area with chemicals and I never sprayed the area with chemicals post planting. All I did was mow, and the stand of switchgrass turned out very good. That planting was in southern Michigan on heavy(lots of clay), moist soil. I believe the soil type and soil moisture played a big role in the success of that planting.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Looks like foxtail will be my major competitor. Not a fan of foxtail, lol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mike, how long did it take to fully establish with mowing, 3 years? I bet it looked like a weedy mess for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ekbelt3, it took about 3 years to get fully established with mowing only. I planted 3 areas using this method and the area with heavy, moist soil turned out the best. The switchgrass didn't do nearly as well on drier sites when using only mowing as the method for weed control.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
I put in switch .....Real World Wildlife's, Timber & Shawnee from Ernst......about 3 weeks ago.
As of today, I've seen no emergence of the switch (it was drilled so seedlings in-line would be my signal.)

I used Simazine and am generally pleased with its effectiveness. Have some volunteer buckwheat, surprisingly. Of all things.
My fear was marestail and mustard. But, thankfully they seem suppressed.

Reactions: Dish7

·
Registered
654 Posts
I put in switch .....Real World Wildlife's, Timber & Shawnee from Ernst......about 3 weeks ago.
As of today, I've seen no emergence of the switch (it was drilled so seedlings in-line would be my signal.)

I used Simazine and am generally pleased with its effectiveness. Have some volunteer buckwheat, surprisingly. Of all things.
My fear was marestail and mustard. But, thankfully they seem suppressed.
Oh I have Mustard. I sprayed with Simazine just before green up. Going to mow Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I ended up spraying some test strips of my new switchgrass with 2,4-d amine @ 1 quart per acre on Sunday. I'll report back on what affect it has on the seedlings, I've read several articles that indicate the Amine product seems to be tolerable on small seedlings, we'll see. I've also ordered some Sulfosulfuron, it's very expensive, but at this point what's another few hundred bucks :(

21 - 40 of 48 Posts