Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody that frost seeded or planted by other means this year, have germination yet? I drilled mine 8 days ago, only see a few sprouts, nothing significant yet and certainly no visible rows.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Checking tomorrow. I did have some early germination with the warm temperatures a month ago. Waiting for the big push. I didn’t spray glyphosate this spring due to the early germination. I did get a preemergent down, however. We will see how it goes with the mower only.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I am waiting for another three weeks to plant, no use having a warm season grass rot in the ground.

Reactions: kdholstein

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am waiting for another three weeks to plant, no use having a warm season grass rot in the ground.
The soil in Southern Michigan is plenty warm for SG germination.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
It’s not about seed rotting....the later planting date (first week of June in mid mi) is optimal for the control of cool season grasses and one last hammer on the warm season foes before you drill in the switch. Just gives you the best scenario of weed control is all.

·
Registered
560 Posts
FD96220E-831D-4F44-8DF2-C9CE7A79872B.jpeg

I planted switch during that warm spell in November to give the seed a season of cold. So not this calendar year but within the last 12 mo. Yes germinating. Sprouted before I could spray pre emerg or gly so I’m on the mowing plan. I didn’t want a monoculture anyways. Now I gotta figure a good time to mow. Maybe do the pre emerg or gly next year.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
for reference, my switch in mid michigan is only about 6" tall and it was planted last year in an area that doesn't get full sun this time of year. It didn't pop up until we got up to about 70 and stayed there. Your tbrand new seeded switch is just germinating and getting going.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not much germinating for this year's planting. Last year's switch is a foot tall already! Just gotta be patient. I feel like the same thing happened last year where I kept checking every other day for germination and about gave up on it then bam there it was

Reactions: Chessieman

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lake County this past weekend - Last years returning SG (CIR) looking very healthy
at 8-12". Also popped last month before I could nuke the weeds, although I did get pre-emergent down.

This years frost seeded SG (CIR + Shelter) was in March.. just saw a few spots about 1 " tall this weekend, so now we wait to see how much catches this year, and if mowing is needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 768820 View attachment 768820
I planted switch during that warm spell in November to give the seed a season of cold. So not this calendar year but within the last 12 mo. Yes germinating. Sprouted before I could spray pre emerg or gly so I’m on the mowing plan. I didn’t want a monoculture anyways. Now I gotta figure a good time to mow. Maybe do the pre emerg or gly next year.
You sure that's switchgrass, it doesn't appear to have the tell tale purple bottom that switch has?

Reactions: ab5228

·
Registered
525 Posts
Even if it is germinating at this point it is very hard to tell the difference between switch and foxtail when it’s only an inch or so high. I’ve never been able to to ID the switch with cerntainty until late June and July.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have very little, if any germination, in northern Mecosta county. The second year switch is doing very well, 6 inches tall or so. I’m inpatient.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Please tell me this is purple I see at the bottom of these....and the right color purple!
View attachment 769011 View attachment 769011
It’s hard to tell. I think I see foxtail and switch there. The last time I frost seeded switch it looked like this in July-

Existing stands are just way easier to tell when they first come up than initial germination.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It looks like my frost seeded switchgrass is just starting to sprout in Menominee County.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is starting to pop, had to look hard, but it appears to be coming on strong. I'm guessing it'll show much more in another week or so.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts