Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to expand my quiver, looking to get an mid-entry level switch rod. It will be a learning experience for me because I haven't done any switch/Spey casting before. I want to be able to swing and nymph. I was thinking a #7 since I already purchased a nautilus FWX 7-8 and some wulff ambush triangle taper. I will be using it primarily on the big man.

Any advice? Experiences with rods? I have two TFO's and love them, thinking of staying with them with the Deer creek.

Thank You so much in advance. PMs welcome

Jakob

·
Registered
647 Posts
The tfo deer creek is a real good rod in 7 or 8 wt. That is the one I had to start with and I had no reason to sell it other than I got a good deal on a Scott rod. Redington and st croix have nice rods for the price. I would say find a tfo.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
All mentioned above are decent rods, also check out the Cabela's rods, decent rods, and price is at a good point. Just remember that spey/switch rods are 1 or 2 weights above standard fly rod weights, so a 7wt. switch would handle a 8wt standard wt. line. Depending on what you plan to fish for keep that in mind. For Steelhead and Salmon I would recommend a 8wt. as it would handle either with no problems and for Trout and Bass a 6wt. would work fine.
That being said, check your PMs.

D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure what ur budget is but the Ross Reach 11'9 7wt is hard to bet for an entry/mid level switch rod. I love mine and have had it since it came out and often grab it over my $1000 Scott T3H.

Line it up with an Aiflo Compact Skagit or Compact Switch head and fire off lasers. At just about $400 for the rod its a steal.

I have caught countless steelhead on mine and it has always performed great.

Another good "entry/mid" level rod to look at is the Orvis Clearwater's. They def cast great for their price point.

Hope this helps
J-

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ugh, I now have to find a reel and line to go with my new 7 wt I just ordered. Thanks Oh-Yea...

For a line Airflo skagit compact 450-480grn range, skagit switch in the same range. If you want an intermediate head (both the switch and the compact come in an intermediate) drop ur grn weight one window below what u find works for a floater.

Try to find some where that will let you cast the line first. Different people,rods etc cast different grn weights with in the window for the rod better than others. I like to line towards the heavier end of the window for some rods and lower for others.

Budget reel would be a ross cla 5. I used to run one and it's solid and bomb proof just had problems in the winter steelhead fishing freezing up.

Splurge reel would be a hatch finatic 7+ which I run on my switch rod. This reel will never let u down. Plus with an extra spool you have a bonefish/permit reel for saltwater!

Hope this helps.
J-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts