Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ray,

Not sure if you have any experience with this one or not......

If I was to purchase a Thompson Center Encore single-shot handgun, I know I have to register it as a handgun. Alll of my other handgun registrations have the caliber stated on the "green-card".

What if I purchase additonal barrels for my Encore, do I have to have each barrel/frame combination registered seperately because my registration card would no longer match what I was carrying? Even though the serial number is on the frame and not the barrel?

How would this be "judged" in the field?

Thank You!

Mark

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Can't say I know the answer to that question for sure.

I believe (almost positive) you don't have to register each barrel as I also don't believe you need a purchase permit to buy the barrels.

I guess if I was the one registering an Encore or Thompson Center I would put various for the caliber because as you state, the serial number doesn't change.

·
Banned
634 Posts
MIBIBHNTR.........first if you buy a encore today as of 03 you need to buy it as a hundgun if you want to use it as such in the future..if you buy it as a rifle or shotgun or muzzleloader first it can't be converted to a handgun......the extra barrels do not need to be registered nor do you need a permit to purchase one....the serial # is on the frame and thats all you need to register.....if you need any other help about this call jays sporting goods and ask for greg he can set you straight on any law changes...

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
to show my ignorance here - I have not kept up with the hand gun laws - cuz I don't have one - but was thinking about it - I wish I'd have kept my 45 from the service BUT - anyway -

You need a permit to buy a hand gun??? How did Michigan get that past the second ammendment?

ferg.....

Nevermind - this question - this isn't the place for it - I'll take over to the gun forum

Sorry Ray ...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ray! I will try to fly the "various caliber" idea past the Kent County Sheriffs Dept. when I register it??? :rolleyes:

Sometimes there are a number of interpretations among the individuals working on any given day.

I had already planned to buy it as a "handgun" and I knew I could buy the barrels at anytime without having to register the barrel. I just couldn't figure out how to get around the caliber being listed on the registration card???

I am not sure why you would not be able to take in any Contender or Encore frame and have it registered as a handgun??? As long as you did it prior to assembling it as such???

Thanks again for the advise.......

Mark

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Originally posted by MIBIGHNTR

Alll of my other handgun registrations have the caliber stated on the "green-card".

We don't have handgun registration here in Michigan, we have 'safety' inspections.:D

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
MIBIGHNTR,

If you already have the extra barrels, take them with you when you take the gun down to get it registered, let them figure it out.

·
Registered
35,600 Posts
When I brought my Thompson Center Contender (frame only) in for the safety inspection a had to name a caliber, for the green card, even if I had not purchased a barrel as of that date.

It may have changed since the time I took mine in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts