Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a Fly Rod before, nor do I have much experience steel head fishing, and none float fishing for steel head. So don't laugh at me too much, lol.

I was watching a video of guy swing fishing a nymph .He said his goal was to give the fish a sideways view of the fly, to take a Radial slice of the run and if nothing hit , take two steps down and repeat. That seems to contradict what I heard from the Centerpin fishing video, where the objective was a long drift along a seam. They said the benefit of the center pin was a free drift, a spinning reel would disrupt the drift and cause sideways movement which the fish would see as unnatural and avoid. The guy swinging flies was casting down to the fish, from upstream. Is the difference cause the float guys have spawn or a jig ? Can you use a fly with a float ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been reading post on here for quite some time so I guess I'll finally post something. I don't fish for summer run steel im focused on smallies this time of year but hopefully this helps. so basically when it comes to swinging vs dead drift your pretty much fishing different fish personality's. the swing will get active fish that r willing to chase a meal the dead drift is great for those fish that just won't eat anything until your fly/spawn or whatever u use hits them in the nose. those fish eat because its convenient all they really have to do is open there mouth both have pros and cons personaly I like swinging flies in the colder months when pressures down and I can fish long sections of river while wading downstream but during the peak of the run its hard to cast and then move down cuz after 3 cast u will likley be steping on someones feet lol. So thats when I bust out the ol bobber"strike indicator" and dead drift nymphs because wherever im fishing will likely be the only spot I will have to fish that day so I just cover the water thoroughly and set the hook anytime the indicator slows stops wiggles anything ive watched my buddies miss lots of fish because they think there hitting bottom and just pull lightly untill it starts floating again if u drifted that drift line five times without hanging up itfisholly a fish its happenes to all of us when the fish feel the slight tension they spit it out so with that being said before I started fly fishing I fished a spinning rod with a bobber and had good success pretty much the same method as center pin but u dont have the free spooling reel u can open the bail and let a little line out at a time but keep the bobber floating as drag free as posible and keep your hand on the bail if the bobber drops close the bail and set the hook also in order to avoid the bait from having drag u will need a long rod 10ft min and hold the rod tip high so the line go's from rod tip to the top of the bobber without touching the water it takes some practice but I caught alot of fish with that method before moving to the fly rod u can fish anything u want under that bobber its all up to u hope this helps u out when I started I didn't know this site was around did alot of reading, trial and error and spying on guys that looked like they knew what they were doing the "old fashioned way" lol, but i think we all do that from time to time regardless of experience. good luck in your quest for those elusive silver bullets!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts