Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...deer won't touch a turnip on my place to save their life. They ate my spruce and speckled alder and ignored the turnips that I exposed with my plow blade.

Question...I wonder if Ed's "sweetening" process would make turnips more palatable?

http://www.deerattraction.com/Article-6.htm

The process looks involved...several lime applications, urea application, plus some AMS solution sprayed on the leaves. But...if it got the deer to eat my useless turnips after 9 years of ignoring them...might be worth it.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Have you tried red or yellow mangles? Sugar beets are also an option.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried red or yellow mangles? Sugar beets are also an option.
I do have one sugar beet plot that is doing nicely. I have another pair that drowned twice this year. I am sure I can get the best turnips you ever saw to grow in these failed beet plots. But, I am sure they will totally get ignored...9 years in a row. Just keep thinking there must be a way to make deer want to eat them! They are so easy to grow...

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Sugar beets don't do well saturated soil when they are young. The first year I planted mangles they did well but now the deer won't leave them alone enough to get any size to them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sugar beets don't do well saturated soil when they are young. The first year I planted mangles they did well but now the deer won't leave them alone enough to get any size to them.
How do you manage weeds in mangles? BTW...I use plot saver to keep deer out. Better said...I wrap the plots in lots of wiggly, flapping flagging tape. Seems to work.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I am sure I can get the best turnips you ever saw to grow in these failed beet plots. But, I am sure they will totally get ignored...9 years in a row. Just keep thinking there must be a way to make deer want to eat them! They are so easy to grow...
Same here. I still have turnips volunteering here and there, even though I gave up on planting them years ago. Close to zero deer use, regardless of the variety.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
How do you manage weeds in mangles? BTW...I use plot saver to keep deer out. Better said...I wrap the plots in lots of wiggly, flapping flagging tape. Seems to work.
I use a combination of things. I reduce the seed bank prior to planting with multiple shallow discings. I plant with a two row drill which allows me to walk the rows with a hand sprayer to take care of problem areas.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1436271382.681104.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1436271502.677784.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: jafurnier

·
Registered
817 Posts
Surprised that several UP plotters are have trouble getting deer to eat their turnips. Mine don't leave them alone long enough to grow big beets. When I cage a small area the beets inside are 4 times as big as outside. But I am in an area with no agriculture and deer eat almost everything I plant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts