Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little over 30,000 plants up in various growth stages. I grow this sweet corn as a cash crop for our local Farmers Market.

The %$&*#@ deer have showed up and are eating down one of my BEST fields. The corn is about 10 inches high and they come up and bite it down to about 2-3 inches! The plant is TOAST.

I'm losing $$ here.

My question is: What legal means of deterrent can I use. Currently I do not have the money for a huge electric fence. The field I'm speaking of is 90' wide by 250' long. 30 rows. That's just one field.:yikes:

Last night I put out the radios with a bad country channel on. There were tracks right up to the radio!!!:mad: No empty beer cans though.

Any ideas? Thanks... PM me if ya want.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A neighbor of mine was having the same problem an he put up electric fence in some areas and that yellow police tape in others and he said the tape actually worked better than the fence. Something about the movement and the noise it makes in the wind. But there was a notable difference in how much they were eating. Good luck

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that idea "M"!!!;) That's cheaper than an electric fence. The other thing with any fencing for deer is they go FORWARD when spooked. I've seen destroyed electric fence.

Going to pick up a couple of rolls and try that tonite.

Good idea!! I'll let you know how it works. Thank you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't know if it make a difference but he also will tie off a 2' peace every so often and just lets them dangle for added movement

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Hang some irish springs soap on the trails into the field. A landscaper turned me onto it because the deer were eating all my shrubs and plants in my yard. I used a cheese grader and made shavings and sprinkled it on the ground in my flower beds and no problems since. I also cut bars in 4 anddrill holes through and hang it in my apple trees and the deer leave them alone to. For some reason the deer dont like the smell. So for those of you that dont use scent control at least dont use irish spring soap during hunting season.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Go to the barber shop and pick up a bag of hair, sprinkle it around the outside. My Dad uses it works great for deer and its cheap. Reapply once a week or after a rain.

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
We are experiencing quite a bit of deer damage in field corn this year and finaly called the dnr and got crop damage permits.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Plot saver. Do a search on it. It works pretty good and costs about $60 for the kit. The kit does about acre.

Plot saver works well. Check out Steven's experience with it. LINK

The only thing is I use it more often than they say (once per week instead of every three weeks. I also reapply after a rain even though they say you don't need to.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,361 Posts
Here is a link to numerous ideas.

http://www.coalitionforanimals.org/barriers.htm

Here is the article in PDF form: http://www.coalitionforanimals.org/pdf/barriers.pdf

Go get a one to four gallon tank sprayer and start spraying a odor repellent.Put up some tape with stakes and spray the tape and the corn.
If you are in Harrisville, there is not a Menard's store near, but they sell Deerstopper (which is the same as Plotsaver, made by Messina Wildlife systems). Home Depot in Alpena might carry the same brand, and will also have other brands including one with garlic that you don't want to spill on yourself. Deerstopper and Plotsaver contain putrified eggs, rosemary and mint fragrance. It smells like rosemary, mint and I can't smell the putrified eggs. It also has some kaolin clay as a binder that makes it hang around for awhile.

You can putrify some eggs and make a homebrew. I'm not sure how to strain the mixture to get it into a sprayer, but you could probably use those cheap latex paint strainers they sell in paint departments.

You really want to put up a deterrent before the corn comes up. Once they start eating it they love it and might be harder to deter.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
We are experiencing quite a bit of deer damage in field corn this year and finaly called the dnr and got crop damage permits.
X2
That is what they have them for!!!

Funny, for a minority of folks(certian segments of deer hunters) deer are the most important thing going in life. For others outside deer hunting ,deer are nothing but a big ol rat like varmit that threatens the lives(car/deer/bTB) and livelyhoods!!!!

c hartman

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well... Two nights now of just putting up the yellow caution tape the deer have not touched the corn! How long before they get used to it I don't know.:confused:

Can someone direct me to where to check out "plot saver"?? I can't find it anywhere.

You have to remember, this is a CASH crop for our household. There a LOT of sweet corn to surround with any tape.

A good buddy gave me a spool of heavy gauge wire and said to use that along with the tape. I like the Irish Spring soap idea. I've heard of that before. The egg thing could work too. I have quite few friends that raise chickens.:D

Thank you so much guys for all the good ideas. No block permits for me.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,361 Posts
Can someone direct me to where to check out "plot saver"?? I can't find it anywhere.
http://www.messinawildlife.com/plotsaver-perimeter-protection-system

Bioactive posted the link to a thead above where I illustrated its use on a corn field plot. Here it is again:

http://michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295721

You can just spray your yellow caution tape with the repellent. If you can't find the repellent you can make your own.

One problem I foresee is that your plot is 250 feet long. Sometimes the deer have to cross through it. Plotsaver is best in smaller blocks to allow them passage. It is best to hang your tape at deer muzzle height. 30 inches high for adult deer, but watch out if fawns are young, maybe a couple inches lower.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Well... Two nights now of just putting up the yellow caution tape the deer have not touched the corn! How long before they get used to it I don't know.:confused:

You have to remember, this is a CASH crop for our household. There a LOT of sweet corn to surround with any tape.

A good buddy gave me a spool of heavy gauge wire and said to use that along with the tape. I like the Irish Spring soap idea. I've heard of that before. The egg thing could work too. I have quite few friends that raise chickens.:D

Thank you so much guys for all the good ideas. No block permits for me.
I ordered some from Amazon.com and got it in 2 days.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Probably wouldn't work or be cost efficient on a large scale, but fishing line is one thing I have heard. Supposedly deer won't jump over it because they can't see it.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Three nights now! No chowing on my corn with the flagging tape! Thanks again cowboy!;);)

I spoke with some produce farmers at our farm market yesterday about the egg solutions. Some of them use it with excellent results. They did seem to notice an increase in raccoons though. They LOVE eggs in any form.:lol:

The Plotsaver would get a little expensive for the area I need to surround. Two other spots of Sweet corn are almost 350' long and 18 rows wide. The rows are on 30" spacing. That corn is past knee high and the deer don't eat it, YET.

I love my deer hunting and my deer, but this war.:evilsmile

I will continue to give updates if you guys wish me to as to the effectiveness of these various deterrents.

Now if I could just figure out how to get it to rain or get water to the corn I'd be MINT!

Maybe a "Corn Roast Meet and Greet" when it ripens?? Hmmm?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Glad I could help. Let me know if it continues to work

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Stops everything, if you have concerns with the deer, just wait until the day before you're ready to pick, which will be the night that the raccoons get word that your corn is ready...mothballs are very effective for lots of stuff, and don't have to be replaced for a couple of weeks. Smell so bad I have never seen anything even go near them.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I sprayed some liquid fence I think its called which is a egg and garlic mix yesterday on our sweet corn. Then about 2 hours later I let the dogs out and they ran straight to the corn and the one dog thats part billy goat started to eat the damn corn!!! So now Im wondering if the coons are gonna be going after it. Then this morning the damn dog went after it again. Ive never seen a dog like stinky stuff as much as this dog, she reminds me of a ole coon dog I used to have.

Rudy the dog that likes stink will eat a maggot infested carcass in a blink of an eye. She dosent get sick from anything either. Although the girl does have to pull corn cobs out of her rear sometimes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts